PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 1st Ed The 7th Dimension: Inner Plane Probability Lines

Particle_Man
2017-04-11, 01:46 PM
In Unearthed Arcana, 23rd level Hierophant Druids get, among other things, the ability to "roam Inner Plane Probability lines (the 7th Dimension)".

What does this mean? Was anything ever done with this in any TSR product or clone?

JustIgnoreMe
2017-04-12, 07:33 AM
In Unearthed Arcana, 23rd level Hierophant Druids get, among other things, the ability to "roam Inner Plane Probability lines (the 7th Dimension)".

What does this mean? Was anything ever done with this in any TSR product or clone?

No idea. I can see from Google you've recently asked on a few other forums, but I can't access them all from where I am now.

There's a much older thread (15 years or so) at www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=563 : anything in there help?

I seem to remember a Psionic ability called Probability Travel, not sure if that was in 1st Ed.

Lord Torath
2017-04-12, 07:57 AM
Probability Travel takes you to the Astral Plane, where you will reach your desired color pool in <random number of hours>, and will be deposited <random number of miles> away from your intended destination upon entering the color pool. No mention of the 7th Dimension or Inner Plane Probability lines.

LibraryOgre
2017-04-12, 09:10 AM
From the Dragonsfoot discussion, it makes me think of Nine Princes in Amber...

Bohandas
2017-04-12, 11:49 AM
Could just be random mumbo jumbo

JustIgnoreMe
2017-04-12, 02:56 PM
Dragonsfoot thread suggests checking the Manual of the Planes, which expands on the ability. That's a book I don't have, so I can't confirm one way or another.

Khedrac
2017-04-12, 03:31 PM
I too would love to know on this one, I remember thinking "What the?" when I first read Unearthed Arcana.

That said, I don't think I have ever seen an answer in goodness knows how many years of gaming...

Particle_Man
2017-04-12, 05:07 PM
I suppose it could be a way to bridge the gap to the Boot Hill and Gamma World game settings, as per the DMG.

JustIgnoreMe
2017-04-12, 05:50 PM
Dragonsfoot thread suggests checking the Manual of the Planes, which expands on the ability. That's a book I don't have, so I can't confirm one way or another.

Hooray for Google!

• Hierophant druids of the highest level can roam the inner
planes' probability lines in a method similar to the psionic ability
probability travel. The druid moves through the Astral plane, but
cannot see or enter (even by accident) color pools that do not
lead to Prime Material planes.

Particle_Man
2017-04-12, 10:18 PM
Awesome! Thanks, guys!

Khedrac
2017-04-13, 03:17 AM

• Hierophant druids of the highest level can roam the inner planes' probability lines in a method similar to the psionic ability probability travel. The druid moves through the Astral plane, but cannot see or enter (even by accident) color pools that do not lead to Prime Material planes.
Umm,

That said, I don't think I have ever seen an answer in goodness knows how many years of gaming...
:redface: :redface: :redface:
I think I still own that book, not sure, I certainly used to.
I think I will go and hide now.
:mitd:

rredmond
2017-04-15, 11:06 AM
I think I still own that book, not sure, I certainly used to.
I think I will go and hide now.
:mitd:

:smallbiggrin: I've read the DMG multiple times, and I'm pretty consistently surprised by stuff folks quote from there as a rule. Gotta love 1E!
--Ron--