PDA

View Full Version : How do I negate aging penalties.

frogglesmash
2017-04-11, 07:40 PM
I'm looking looking for any methods that exist to negate aging penalties while keeping the benefits, preferably without the use of reincarnate, dragonwrought kobolds, or undeath. All 3.x sources are welcome.

flappeercraft
2017-04-11, 07:47 PM
Steal life? Depending on gm it could work.

Morof Stonehands
2017-04-11, 08:00 PM
Evermead is a drink from Dragon Magazine #334, pg 56. 200gp a glass, gets rid of detrimental effects of aging, but you keep any and all positive effects. Lasts 12 hours. You still age, but you don't have any bad stuff while you drink Evermead.

Telonius
2017-04-11, 08:12 PM
Well, there's Timeless Body (a la Druid and Monk).

Kelb_Panthera
2017-04-11, 08:14 PM
Abuse of the reincarnation spell and the race swapping rituals from SS?

frogglesmash
2017-04-11, 08:14 PM
Well, there's Timeless Body (a la Druid and Monk).

Thats more of an investment than I was planning on making.

Bronk
2017-04-11, 08:50 PM
The most secure way of negating aging penalties is to not experience them in the first place.

There are classes that change you into other types, spells that can turn you immortal (directly, or by changing form with the Savage Species Wish), and magic items as well.

Here's a good immortality handbook:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5996

Elysiume
2017-04-11, 09:01 PM
Is Pathfinder 3.x? Age Resistance (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/ageResistance.html) lets you ignore the physical aging penalties for 24 hours at a time, using higher level spell slots to address higher age penalties. In that vein, the Mantle of Immortality (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateEquipment/wondrousItems/chest.html#mantle-of-immortality) which is imbued with Age Resistance, Greater.

Celestia
2017-04-11, 09:08 PM
Elans and warforged are immune to aging (though I can't remember whether or not warforged still accrue bonuses). I'm sure there are other races, too, that someone more knowledgeable than I can point out.

frogglesmash
2017-04-11, 09:19 PM
Elans and warforged are immune to aging (though I can't remember whether or not warforged still accrue bonuses). I'm sure there are other races, too, that someone more knowledgeable than I can point out.

Elans and warforged still accrue agung bonuses and penalties, though warforged only have a middle aged category.

Celestia
2017-04-11, 09:41 PM
Elans and warforged still accrue agung bonuses and penalties, though warforged only have a middle aged category.
Huh. It looks like you are completely correct. I guess I misremembered that because it makes absolutely no sense, especially for the elans.

frogglesmash
2017-04-11, 11:58 PM
Evermead is a drink from Dragon Magazine #334, pg 56. 200gp a glass, gets rid of detrimental effects of aging, but you keep any and all positive effects. Lasts 12 hours. You still age, but you don't have any bad stuff while you drink Evermead.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get lots of this for cheap? The table says it's craftable with a DC 30 Craft (Alchemy) check, but the text also stipulates that it must be fermented for at least 10 years.

Telonius
2017-04-12, 08:12 AM
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get lots of this for cheap? The table says it's craftable with a DC 30 Craft (Alchemy) check, but the text also stipulates that it must be fermented for at least 10 years.

Fabricate might be able to do it quickly.

Freezy
2017-04-12, 10:09 AM
You could learn to body swap, get a nice looking, healthy and strong but stupid fighter.
Does becoming undead help?

Miracles, just get a god to owe you one ;-)

Also, discuss with your DM, there might be a fabled fountain of youth, ripe for the taking, conveniently hidden in a nearby jungle.

Twurps
2017-04-12, 12:54 PM

I would think aging is one of the few things you can plan 10 years in advance, with a fair amount of certainty. :P

frogglesmash
2017-04-12, 01:35 PM
I would think aging is one of the few things you can plan 10 years in advance, with a fair amount of certainty. :P

The idea is to start the game old.

Crake
2017-04-12, 02:18 PM

wedded to history, a dragon magazine feat, lets you be immortal from level 1, ignoring aging penalties, but also not gaining aging bonuses, but you gain some kind of benefit, based on your history.

Psyren
2017-04-12, 02:28 PM
Is Pathfinder 3.x? Age Resistance (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/ageResistance.html) lets you ignore the physical aging penalties for 24 hours at a time, using higher level spell slots to address higher age penalties. In that vein, the Mantle of Immortality (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateEquipment/wondrousItems/chest.html#mantle-of-immortality) which is imbued with Age Resistance, Greater.

Came to suggest these (and of course Sun Orchid Elixir.)

Are you also starting at level 1? Because if not you could probably use your starting WBL to stash a few batches of the stuff, and then ferment more (preferably on a fast-time plane) while you adventure.

Having said that, I'm not sure responding to the GM's "you guys are starting old" with "Yeah but my backstory has me chugging a whole bunch of magic anti-age juice so I'm not a geezer like the rest of you" would necessarily fly; seems to be counter to the intent.

souridealist
2017-04-12, 06:00 PM
If Pathfinder is allowed, they have the nacreous gray ioun stone, a magic item which does exactly this (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/ioun-stones/nacreous-gray-sphere-ioun-stone/).

Oontarg
2017-04-12, 06:07 PM
The major artifact The Gray Portrait from champions of ruin stops all ageing and you can't be effected by negative levels. Its an artifact so most likely you won't see it till high level play.