PDA

View Full Version : Help faking gold

Gildedragon
2017-04-11, 07:57 PM
I'm looking for magic that lets one pass off stuff for gold-pieces, ideally at the lowest possible cost.
There's the "Fool's Gold" spell from Power of Faerun, but that's a bit on the pricey side for me, though it might make do. Was wondering if folk knew of other alternatives.

frogglesmash
2017-04-11, 08:13 PM
Get some led and use prestidigitation to color it gold.

Venger
2017-04-11, 08:32 PM
who do you need to fool and what are your resources?

Elysiume
2017-04-11, 09:05 PM
who do you need to fool and what are your resources?Also, how long does it need to fool them for? Long enough to make a trade or long enough to make the trade, get away, and cover your tracks?

LordOfCain
2017-04-11, 09:17 PM
Username checks out. "Gilded"ragon?

Gildedragon
2017-04-11, 09:26 PM
who do you need to fool and what are your resources?
Just the local constables, maybe a paladin of slaughter or two

Also, how long does it need to fool them for? Long enough to make a trade or long enough to make the trade, get away, and cover your tracks?
Just long enough to pay party members' bail, get them out of the station, and into a hat of disguise... so not that long, maybe an hour tops, can be longer if they then toss the coin into a chest. Either way we'd not be staying in town after that so...

As to resources: whatcha got?
Fool's Gold uses up 5gp, some cp (lets say 5 more gp), and a second level spell slot.
So gpwise, lets cap it at 160 gp.

syryous
2017-04-11, 09:58 PM
No prob, take a loan from a loan shark, or from a local charity/church​. Deal with the consequences. Sounds like a good plot hook for your dm.

raygun goth
2017-04-11, 10:01 PM
Why not go for the real thing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_confidence_tricks)?

Freezy
2017-04-12, 10:45 AM
Any presented gold is likely to be tested, does it have to be gold?
Perhaps glass glamoured into gems are worth checking into.

Alternatively steal the gold from a local source (preferable the people you are trying to pay off).

Check the regulations, perhaps there is a trial by combat or other some such challenge available to bypass the gold.

A simple suggestion might do the trick: I just paid in full

Ruethgar
2017-04-12, 10:58 AM
Coin of the Realm is a cantrip from Dragon 302 I think that does this.

Psyren
2017-04-12, 11:38 AM
Pathfinder has Golden Guise. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/golden-guise/) Use it on a statue/bust or weapon - it's not illusory so it will fool weight-based tests. It only lasts for a few minutes though, so get them out and get moving.

Combine with Magic Aura and they won't suspect that there's a spell on it.

Gildedragon
2017-04-12, 04:12 PM
Coin of the Realm is a cantrip from Dragon 302 I think that does this.

Getting an at-will/use-activated item of this cantrip, even if it is at CL 1 would be great.
I'll have to figure out how to affect more than 10 pebbles a minute (otherwise it gives us a scant 10 mins to escape) but maybe a pouch that turns pebbles put in into "coin"...

Pathfinder has Golden Guise. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/golden-guise/) Use it on a statue/bust or weapon - it's not illusory so it will fool weight-based tests. It only lasts for a few minutes though, so get them out and get moving.

Combine with Magic Aura and they won't suspect that there's a spell on it.
This is nice. Very similar to fool's gold in that I need the coin-like item beforehand.

Gem glammering is also a good idea, though I'd rather means that drew as little attention as possible to the objects... And gems need to be appraised

I found the Fairy Gold item in savage species... The concept is right, but the price point to fake gps is too high.

As to cons and theft: I'd rather have the escape be quick and inconvenience as few people as possible. My character isn't precisely combat strong and just managed to avoid the slammer because of shiftweave, bluffing, and a spell to make him unremarkable.
And quick is the name of the game, cause if it gets to trial... Well I'd rather it didn't. LE govt with mostly CG party...

Psyren
2017-04-12, 04:48 PM
This is nice. Very similar to fool's gold in that I need the coin-like item beforehand.

All you need is 10gp per item though. Should be an easy sale.

Venger
2017-04-12, 05:59 PM
just cast mount a bunch of times and sell the horses. why use fake gold when you can have real gold?

Zancloufer
2017-04-12, 10:22 PM
Polymorph Any Object can transmute up to 100 cu ft/level of material into any other object. Iron costs 1 sp per pound vs gold's 50 GP per pound. You get about 491 lb/ cu ft so that is about ~5k worth of Iron per CL. Gold is 1206 lb/ cu ft ~6kk GP per CL. They are both the : Same Size [+2], Same Kingdom [+5], and Same/Lesser Int [+2] so the duration is YES.

Also getting a Wizard to cast PAO would only cost ~1200 GP by RAW, so with a 6-7k GP set up you can turn around and make 6 million GP. Would suggest you invest in a Protection from Flying DMGs book or take out life insurance policies on bipedal cat people though.

Malroth
2017-04-12, 10:40 PM
A 2nd lv scroll of Illusionary Script (CL 3) (scribed by a gnome Illusionist) Should run 300 gold and let you create a sign that affects all who view it for the next 3 days with a DC 13 will save to avoid falling under the effects of a Suggestion spell. The suggestion "help me raise money to get the horrible criminal away from your town" would also carry a save penalty due to being reasonable.

A 4th level scroll of Wall of salt (CL7) costs 700gp and creates 14 cubic feet of salt which weighs 1737lbs and is worth 10gp per lb

ross
2017-04-12, 10:57 PM
when I need gold I usually just create water, bless it, and sell it

Gildedragon
2017-04-12, 11:59 PM
Polymorph Any Object can transmute up to 100 cu ft/level of material into any other object. Iron costs 1 sp per pound vs gold's 50 GP per pound. You get about 491 lb/ cu ft so that is about ~5k worth of Iron per CL. Gold is 1206 lb/ cu ft ~6kk GP per CL. They are both the : Same Size [+2], Same Kingdom [+5], and Same/Lesser Int [+2] so the duration is YES.

Also getting a Wizard to cast PAO would only cost ~1200 GP by RAW, so with a 6-7k GP set up you can turn around and make 6 million GP. Would suggest you invest in a Protection from Flying DMGs book or take out life insurance policies on bipedal cat people though.

A 2nd lv scroll of Illusionary Script (CL 3) (scribed by a gnome Illusionist) Should run 300 gold and let you create a sign that affects all who view it for the next 3 days with a DC 13 will save to avoid falling under the effects of a Suggestion spell. The suggestion "help me raise money to get the horrible criminal away from your town" would also carry a save penalty due to being reasonable.

A 4th level scroll of Wall of salt (CL7) costs 700gp and creates 14 cubic feet of salt which weighs 1737lbs and is worth 10gp per lb

So a magic item that produces 300 hour-long goldpieces a day would cost... what?
i'm reckoning 4000gp?