PDA

View Full Version : Spells that use Caster Level

Cisturn
2017-04-11, 08:58 PM
Hey Playgrounders!

Last session my character just got his second level of Sublime Chord, and with it the class feature "Song of Arcane Might". This feature lets me roll a perform check to boost caster level. Does anyone know of any arcane spells that could really take advantage of this? Specifically I'm looking for fourth and fifth level spells, but I wouldn't mind hearing about any others as well.

I don't have a limit to which books I can use, so long as nothing is third party. Also I've already picked up Evard's Black Tentacles.

ATHATH
2017-04-11, 09:20 PM
I recommend checking out a Circle Magic/Red Wizard/Hathran handbook or two.

Psyren
2017-04-11, 10:28 PM
...All of them? It might be easier to list the spells that don't benefit from CL in some way.

Telok
2017-04-11, 11:37 PM
...All of them? It might be easier to list the spells that don't benefit from CL in some way.

I think what he's really looking for are high cap or uncapped spells. Dosen't that PrC give you access to sorcerer spells? I recall at least one uncapped spell amongst them.

Psyren
2017-04-11, 11:50 PM
I think what he's really looking for are high cap or uncapped spells. Dosen't that PrC give you access to sorcerer spells? I recall at least one uncapped spell amongst them.

Even when some variables in a spell are capped though (e.g. Fireball damage), others are not (Fireball range/SR penetration/counterability). So I do still maintain that this is a pretty large list.

But yeah, a handbook for something cheesy like Red Wizard or the Wish and the Word probably maintains a short list of the truly CL-exploitable stuff.

Coidzor
2017-04-12, 01:22 AM
It's no Holy Word or the like, but you can affect more spells with Permanency, sooner if you can bump your CL.

You can also make some nice, nasty high HD Dragon Zombies that might not otherwise be able to be made by boosting your CL and casting Animate Dead while inside of a Desecrate spell.

Similarly, you have more options to make stuff with Create (Greater) Undead if you boost your CL.

AsteriskAmp
2017-04-12, 01:30 AM
There is in fact a handbook for that TM. Due to a wonderful case of bad writing and dubious interpretations either way, there is a feat called Reserves of Strengths that can be argued that allows, for the low low cost of taking minor damage (if you procure stun resistance), both raising your caster level and.... unlocking a spell capping mechanics. This is in no way a prime source of shenanigans TM. Hence a list of spells (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3519.0) that become highly succulent when their limiters are taken off.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-12, 03:03 AM
Anything that scales with level? Greater Magic Weapon, Craft Magic Tattoo, Dispel Magic and Improvisation come to mind.
Also anything with a duration that's not rounds/level. Anything that has its number of targets scale with level. Anything that allows SR.

If you really want to abuse it you could get a Ring of Theurgy and have your druid friend cast Control Winds into that (or UMD it from a scroll).