PDA

View Full Version : Computer Anyone know these games?

Togath
2017-04-11, 09:11 PM
So while going through old emails and humble bundle orders of mine, I noticed I have 24 un-redeemed keys...
Mostly for games I don't know anything at all about.:smallredface:(aside from a spare copy of Torchlight 2 I was gonna give to an irl friend)
So, anyone able to give much feedback on this list? Are they worth trying?
Badland
Spacecom
Please don't touch anything
You must build a boat
Knights of pen & paper
Unmechanical
Her story
Cibele
Broken age
Sacred 3
Saints row 2
Dead Island
Retro city rampage dx
Outlast
Else heart.break()
Duet
Forced
Supercharged robot vulkaiser
Neo aquarium - king of crustaceans
Pix the cat
Aqua kitty: milk mine defender
and finally, Dead space 2

Sajiri
2017-04-12, 02:18 AM
I own two of the games on that list.

Saints Row 2 is fantastic and my favourite of the SR series but it is pretty dated. However I think it doesnt play well on PC at all from what I've heard (I had it on console). Its probably more like GTA than its sequels, with a somewhat more serious plot.

Sacred 3, uhh I never really played that one much. I played Sacred 2 which I would describe being kind of like diablo games? Its been many years but it was enjoyable especially if you played with a friend, you could play co op and run around the open world. Sacred 3, however, I heard was much worse than 2, though I can't remember how. I bought it for cheap on console as well and never got around to playing it after my spare gamepad broke.

factotum
2017-04-12, 02:20 AM
Some of those I've never heard of, others, I've heard of but not played. The others:

Broken Age: Point and click adventure made by Double Fine. It's very easy and very short--maybe worth a look if you're really into the genre.
Saints Row 2: Excellent GTA-style game with much darker humour than GTA itself. However, the PC port of SR2 is really, really bad (as in buggy and doesn't work very well), so you should look for a mod that fixes that if you want to actually play it.
Dead Island: I actually like this game, but I seem to be in a minority on that. It has its faults--whoever decided that the best thing to do if the player dies is to respawn them at their last save point, but still have their weapons degraded and ammo used to the point at which they died, is an idiot--but it's definitely worth a try; just be prepared to bail out if you find it's not for you.
Dead Space 2: This isn't quite as good as the first game, but it's definitely worth playing. It's not really as horrifying as it thinks it is (apart from the bit where you have to guide a needle into your own eyeball, that's a bit wince-inducing), but if you treat it as a first person shooter where the enemies are monstrously warped humans then you won't go far wrong.
Retro City Rampage DX: This is basically a throwback to the old top-down GTA games. I could never get into it myself for some reason, but if you like that sort of deliberately old-fashioned gameplay it might be worth a try.

Incidentally, from what I've heard Sacred 3 is hot garbage, I'd avoid that one.

Antonok
2017-04-12, 02:37 AM
Knights of Pen and Paper is quite fun. You basically play DnD in the game. It can be a bit harsh/grindy with the money/recruitment system, but its a fun time killer, specially the mobile version.

Rodin
2017-04-12, 02:42 AM
Dead Island: I actually like this game, but I seem to be in a minority on that. It has its faults--whoever decided that the best thing to do if the player dies is to respawn them at their last save point, but still have their weapons degraded and ammo used to the point at which they died, is an idiot--but it's definitely worth a try; just be prepared to bail out if you find it's not for you.

I find that Dead Island does melee zombie-killing better than just about anyone. There's just very little competition in that sphere, at least for FPS games.

It's just a shame about the plot. And the characters. And everything about the game that isn't murdering thousands of zombies.

It's still really good brainless fun though. Checking my Steam list I wound up putting 26 hours into the original and 17 hours into Dead Island Riptide, so there's definitely plenty of enjoyment to be had.

Cespenar
2017-04-12, 03:16 AM
Her Story is an interesting interactive movie. Basically you sort through a search engine to figure out a murder through watching short clips of police interviews. Very well-written and well-acted, though it's necessary to go into it knowing it's an interactive movie. The "gameplay" consists of figuring out what keywords to search to find a relevant clip and reveal more of the story. There is no endgame, you try to figure out the murder for yourself.

It's something to see for yourself.

TaRix
2017-04-12, 01:00 PM
"You Must Build A Boat" is a fun enough fast-paced match-x game. You shift columns and rows in real-time to make attacks, build defense, and gain currencies for powerups in later runs. Yes, it's heavily pixelated, but I enjoyed it. It's basically a sequel game (the original was called 10000000) so it's gone through a bit of polish already.
--oh, 10000000's on the list too. Yeah, they play the same, mostly.

Pix the Cat is some sort of mashup of Snake, Pac-Man, and, I dunno, Diamond Mine. Exceptional graphics and sound.

Aqua Kitty is basically a remake of the old arcade games Defender and Stargate, but with powerups and not having to start the whole thing over when you blow up. I haven't played it much but wouldn't mind picking it up again.

Retro City Rampage is one I didn't like, so that'd probably color my description. In brief, it's kinda like the early Grand Theft Auto games (I think, only saw others play 'em) with less driving and more "Hur hur, here's another 1980s reference for you."

Hope that fills a few holes in the list.

LibraryOgre
2017-04-12, 01:24 PM
Knights of Pen and Paper is quite fun. You basically play DnD in the game. It can be a bit harsh/grindy with the money/recruitment system, but its a fun time killer, specially the mobile version.

I concur on this; every so often, I go back to it for a while.

Fri
2017-04-12, 04:14 PM
Here's what I know. I haven't played all of them but I'll mention what's already in my wishlist/knowledge. I must say that most of them are actually pretty famous games. I'm actually surprised you don't know most of them.

Basically puzzle/dungeon crawling hybrid similar in thought with puzzle quest (though different implementation obviously). If someone like puzzle quest they most likely might appreciate this.

Badland
Some sort of metroidvania with cool artstyle. Worth to be given to anyone, only those who specifically dislike metroidvanias would dislike this.

Spacecom
Some minimalist strategy game. I heard it's pretty mediocre, but the minimalist artstyle's cool. If you know someone who like to try strategy game might be worth to be given to them.

Please don't touch anything
Actually an "achievement" game. You're in a control room for nuclear missile or something in that line, and told not to touch anything. Of course what you do is you should touch anything and find all that can happen from things you do in that one room (most end with the world exploding) . That's the whole gameplay. I heard it's pretty silly and fun. You can give this to someone who like to play silly short games.

Knights of pen & paper
Pretending to play dnd as single player turn based rpg. Someone who like dnd humor might appreciate this.

Her story
An FMV game. A woman is interviewed in a police station and you have to piece what's actually happening. Cool experimental game, so someone who like to try weird game might appreciate this.

Cibele
This one my friend told me is not actually good, but it got interesting premise. You play as a girl who play MMO (you play the MMO) and you meet a guy there and the game is basically about your interaction with that guy in the MMO world. Problem is the actual "MMO" gameplay is too simple. I think this will be appreciated by someone who ever been in similar situation.

Broken age
A really nice looking adventure game by the legendary lucas art game creator Tim Schaeffer. Anyone who like point and click adventure games would love this.

Dead Island
That zombie game with really maudlin trailer but mediocre actual game. This is simple hack and slash action game.

Outlast
First person horror game in the line of Amnesia. If you know someone who like Amnesia, or someone who like to be scared the bejeesus out of them, they'd appreciate it.

Else heart.break()
Really nice looking adventure game where you can hack everything. Again, anyone who like point and click adventure would really appreciate this.

Supercharged robot vulkaiser
Shmup game that pretend to be old mecha cartoon. If you know a shmup player they might like this.

Neo aquarium - king of crustaceans
Super silly arena game where it's a flight sim but you control various aquatic creature. The trailer must be seen to be believed. Worth it more for the silliness instead of gameplay, so give it to someone who appreciate over the top silli premise.

Aqua kitty: milk mine defender
A shmup game where you play a cat in a submarine. A casual shmup game, if you know someone who like that they'd appreciate it.

and finally, Dead space 2
Famous sci-fi horror game from capcom. Think resident evil in space. This is an AA game, and a good one, so except if anyone specifically dislike resident evil or horror game, I think they'd appreciate it.

theMycon
2017-04-12, 08:46 PM
I was not a fan of Outlast.

I loved half of Broken Age. Shane & his scenarios were unnecessary, but including him fit the themes of the game well. I'd recommend choosing him second and just googling the solution to his snake puzzle, as it was the most BS puzzle of a puzzle game that had 2 or 3 total BS puzzles.

For what it's worth: the "or 3" refers to untying a knot, which made sense when I finished it, but I suspect most configurations would never make sense. The other BS one... if you're stuck and it doesn't seem like there's anything to do, just go through the entire world being a jerk to everyone you see over and over again, until something changes. Repeat for 4 or 5 situations that had nothing to do with you later, and you'll get an ashtray that lets you control Mog-Chothra.

smuchmuch
2017-04-19, 08:39 AM
Her story is a utter and complete rip off and a waste of an excellent concept. I suppose if you have if it for free you cna give it a try, but even a cent spent on it is too much.
You play as a police officier who has to shift through the video of the interview of a suspect in an old muder case and ypu must put in order the video. To od that you can searh and assign tags and then class the video in order by tags. There's no vitory condition nor defeat, you just look the videos, try to figure out what happened and give up when you have enough. It's a little disapoiting but the actress is a ghood actres and the concept original, could work. ...
except what lmttle gameplay there is (namely organising the videos) is unforgivably annoying an painfull. Like literaly you can't slide freely video to a psoition int he long queues you'll get you actualy have to use button to move them one place at a time, which will also complelty destroy the order of the rest of the video. i understand deliberaty limiting thez interface for ambiance buit this is just unpardonable.

Broken age is a point and click by Dual Fine. It start strong, it ends... well there's some division on it but I'm among those who find the end pretty disapoiting, particulary the storry. I'm jsut happy i wans' tone of the kickstarter backers. There are also a couple of puzzles who are pretty nail bittingly hard (in stark contrast to the rest of the game who is very easy). Still this is a very subjective opinion, if you enjoy point and click or jsut game with a very peculiar very mlight and optimistic and a liutle artsy sens eof style, you might enjoy borken aga.