PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Making some Armies

Kane0
2017-04-11, 09:39 PM
Hi all!

I'm throwing together some armies for the last book of our kingmaker game (after 3 years of play) and I'm looking for some help.
DM has told me there are no limits except cost but I'd rather keep to things that make sense within the kingdom, so mostly normal races and classes. Obviously we want to keep costs down but we do want to be able to take out some known hill giant, troll and human armies plus potentially more that we haven't uncovered yet.

From what I've read of the rules it seems rangers get a whole bundle of nice things to add into their army statblocks (d10 HD, Animal Companion, Combat style, Fav Enemy and Terrain, Hunter's Bond, Track, Spellcasting which also grants free ranged attack). Odd levels seem to be most beneficial since you halve the ACR to determine consumption which is rounded down, and if I take a random from the army to serve as commander I only need to know his level, charisma and ranks in profession (soldier) to determine tactics and boons.

Are there any options better than rangers to make armies in the 1-11 range? Clerics and Cavaliers look like they come in rather close.

Florian
2017-04-12, 02:19 AM
Ranges and Paladins make for the best all-round armies, with Cavaliers a close third.
When using RP > GP conversion, calling a platoon of angels or devils with equal abilities also works fine and brings teleportation into play. Shadows make for the best "blocker" and Ghoul Rangers are the most cost-effective units.