PDA

View Full Version : Warmage help :)

TheWixster
2007-07-28, 07:53 PM
Hi there, my dm is starting a shackled city campaign, and i'm rather interested in playing a warmage for it. we'll be level one, but i was just wondering what ideas anyone had for the best feats to take as my character advances. any help is welcome :)

MrNexx
2007-07-28, 08:04 PM
Hi there, my dm is starting a shackled city campaign, and i'm rather interested in playing a warmage for it. we'll be level one, but i was just wondering what ideas anyone had for the best feats to take as my character advances. any help is welcome :)

Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot are a lot of help to Warlocks; a lot of their spells are ranged touches, and it also helps you fall back on archery if you want to conserve spells. Improved Edge is also a good one; your increase in spell damage is part of what you do.

After that, you might look into more metamagic, or Spell Focuses, especially for invocation. The Sudden Metamagics are good options for a Warmage; you get some for free. Energy Substitution is not a bad option, since it lets some of your better spells be more flexible.

I would look at the kind of PrCs you want to have, as well. That should play a major role in what you choose in terms of feats.

the_tick_rules
2007-07-29, 01:09 AM
so how long before we get the posts how warmages stink and you should pick a real caster?

OzymandiasVolt
2007-07-29, 01:15 AM
Was that post really necessary?

ImperiousLeader
2007-07-29, 02:08 AM
so how long before we get the posts how warmages stink and you should pick a real caster?

Tempting, but I'm more concerned with the class to campaign fit. I haven't read through Shackled City, but I thought it's an urban campaign. Which means throwing around fireballs in the streets seems like a bad idea. A Beguiler would rock out in an urban campaign. Heck, I'm told Bards do well in Shackled City.

But, let's talk Warmage. You'll probably want Point Blank Shot/Precise Shot, because you'll be firing your ranged touch spells into melee a lot, and that -4 really hurts when you've got poor BAB, touch attack or not. You'll want Sculpt Spell so you can fire your Area of Effect spells into melee too.

General tips:
- Use Eclectic Learning from Player's Handbook 2, it'll really help your effectiveness, if you pick the right spells.
- Blasting effectively means efficient use of metamagic.

Starsinger
2007-07-29, 02:26 AM
Pity warmagi can't get into Archmage (can they?) Cuz master of shapes and master of elements would be good for them.

Tokiko Mima
2007-07-29, 03:10 AM
Pity warmagi can't get into Archmage (can they?) Cuz master of shapes and master of elements would be good for them.

Actually I think they can..? But not till they get their 8th level spells. Archmage requires "Ability to cast 7th-level arcane spells, knowledge of 5th-level or higher spells from at least five schools." In addition to Spell Focus feats and skills.

Warmages have a ton of spells from Evocation and Conjuration school, obviously, but they do have at least three other spells greater than 5th level from other schools. These are Circle of Death (necromancy), Transformation (transmutation), and at 8th spell level, Scintillating Pattern (illusion).

Illiterate Scribe
2007-07-29, 09:52 AM
They could use eclectic study to get the other schools.

MrNexx
2007-07-29, 11:31 AM
- Use Eclectic Learning from Player's Handbook 2, it'll really help your effectiveness, if you pick the right spells.
- Blasting effectively means efficient use of metamagic.

Even if you don't go with Eclectic Learning, make your other spells count. The last thing you need is more blasting spells. You've got plenty. However, if your first Advanced Learning is on the order of Floating Disk, instead of Splatbook XXX's neat blow-things-up spell, you've got a bit more versatility in your spell list.

Not-bad prestige classes for the Warmage include Argent Savant (lose a spellcaster level, but your force spells become nasty) and Elemental Savant (specializing you in a single element; lose a spellcaster level at the end, but not horrible).

0oo0
2007-07-29, 09:59 PM
Tempting, but I'm more concerned with the class to campaign fit. I haven't read through Shackled City, but I thought it's an urban campaign. Which means throwing around fireballs in the streets seems like a bad idea. A Beguiler would rock out in an urban campaign. Heck, I'm told Bards do well in Shackled City.

I disagree with the emphasized part :smallbiggrin:. Lots of fun can result from collateral damage. It adds new layers to the campaign.

Person_Man
2007-07-29, 10:02 PM
Warmage's are essentially archers. Play like one, and you'll be fine. Stay in back, and run if someone gets close to you. Invest in Tumble, even though its cross class. Load up on defensive gear: Lots of cheap +1 AC items, Cloak of Lesser Displacement, Ring of Resistance, etc.

I personally prefer area of effect spells to touch attack spells, because area of effect spells almost always hit, always deal some damage, and often hit more then one enemy. So mathmatically, they're often superior to most touch attack spell. Just be very mindful of who you're targeting - don't throw Reflex Save spells against Rogues/Scouts/Rangers/etc. Don't throw Fort Save spells against meat sheilds. Don't throw Will Save spells against spellcasters. Keep that in mind, and you'll be much more successful and won't need to invest in the ranged combat tree feats.

A well worn defensive combo for ranged attackers is any reach weapon + Combat Reflexes + Evasive Reflexes + Hold the Line. Combat Reflexes gives you extra attacks of opportunity. Evasive Reflexes (Tome of Battle) let's you trade an attack of opportunity for a 5 ft step. Hold the Line (Complete Warrior) gives you a free AoO whenever someone charges you. Whenever someone moves through your threatened area, you'll get a 5 ft step, and if they charge you, you'll get anther one. Since everyone has to charge in a strait line, you're now essentially immune to most charge attacks, because you can just step out of the way.

tannish2
2007-07-29, 10:52 PM
ya, collateral damage is fun, but just make sure your not too attached to your paladin abilitys(best way is not taking any levels in the class) and that you dont have any allies who are attached to them either and collateral damage is happy!

MrNexx
2007-07-30, 02:21 PM
I personally prefer area of effect spells to touch attack spells, because area of effect spells almost always hit, always deal some damage, and often hit more then one enemy.

True, but, as you pointed out, most Area Affect spells have a saving throw, whereas many ranged touch spells do not; a reflex saving throw means that rogues and monks ignore a lot of them, starting at 2nd level. The Area Affect spells have a great place in the game, and a warmage doesn't really have to choose (save at the moment of casting), but I wouldn't dismiss ranged touch (especially for short-range combat; the +1 to hit and damage from PBS is great).

Person_Man
2007-07-30, 03:46 PM
True, but, as you pointed out, most Area Affect spells have a saving throw, whereas many ranged touch spells do not; a reflex saving throw means that rogues and monks ignore a lot of them, starting at 2nd level. The Area Affect spells have a great place in the game, and a warmage doesn't really have to choose (save at the moment of casting), but I wouldn't dismiss ranged touch (especially for short-range combat; the +1 to hit and damage from PBS is great).

Agreed. It's really about knowing your target, and being smart about which spell you throw at them.

My preference for area of effect comes mostly from the fact that I don't like to spend feats on Point Blank Shot->Precise Shot->Improved Precise Shot, and prefer using my feats on better things.

The combo I posted above is good, as is Empower Spell, Enervate Spell, Practical Metamagic, and Sculpt Spell. Again, as long you avoid casting Reflex Save spells against enemies with Evasion, you'll usually end hitting more people and doing more damage, even if they pass the Save.

But since your touch attack spells are touch attacks, you don't even need the ranged combat feat tree in many occasions. So there's no reason you can't have both on your spell list even at low levels, or even have all the feats you want, assuming you're high enough level.