PDA

View Full Version : DM Help [3.5] Campaign Concept Help

Thurbane
2017-04-11, 11:01 PM
Hi all,

Looking for some input on a campaign idea I have.

I'm currently running a relatively standard Greyhawk campaign.

At some point in the future, I want to run an alternative campaign.

The basic concept is that the "ruling class" are Karsites (ToM), an empire that has suppressed and enslaved most others.

They rule through strength of arms, "technological superiority" (they will have primitive black powder weapons and some steam-punk-tech which other races don't have access to), trained war-beasts and slaves.

Now, the slaves part is a bit problematic for me. I want their main caste of slaves to be spellcasting Gnomes. As the Karsites can't use spells themselves, they use their slaves to fill all roles that they otherwise can't.

Question is: how do you stop a full-caster "slave" from simply escaping and/or obliterating his "masters".

I was thinking some kind of "collar of obedience" that suppresses casting except under specific circumstances? Either magic, or biological in nature: maybe some kind of specially bred symbiont?

The ultimate idea is that the PCs will be part of the "Gnomish Resistance Movement", using hit-and-run tactics on Karsite installations.

All input welcome.

Cheers - T

Pleh
2017-04-11, 11:43 PM
Magic requires training to level. How are slaves getting training to cast spells? If it's regulated by the masters, they can cut off all arcane knowledge that can't be controlled.

But thinking more creatively, we already know about magitech in ebberon. What if the karsites and their steampunk is anti-magitech? Karsite power armor might have SR enchantments and the ability to activate personal AMF on command. The fact that it's power armor protects them from indirect magic.

the_david
2017-04-11, 11:57 PM
The ultimate idea is that the PCs will be part of the "Gnomish Resistance Movement", using hit-and-run tactics on Karsite installations.

You mean like some kind of Gnome Liberation Front?

What are Karsites?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-04-11, 11:59 PM
They have a highly addictive alchemical/magical substance that they control the supply of, which briefly increases the capabilities of spellcasters who use it. However, a user in withdrawal is not able to cast spells, and it's very much possible to overdose on it and completely burn out one's ability to use magic. Of course they get every one of their spellcaster slaves addicted to this, and it can take years to gradually wean someone off of it to avoid the otherwise permanent effects of withdrawal.

Thurbane
2017-04-12, 12:13 AM
Magic requires training to level. How are slaves getting training to cast spells? If it's regulated by the masters, they can cut off all arcane knowledge that can't be controlled.

But thinking more creatively, we already know about magitech in ebberon. What if the karsites and their steampunk is anti-magitech? Karsite power armor might have SR enchantments and the ability to activate personal AMF on command. The fact that it's power armor protects them from indirect magic.

Interesting idea about the armor...

Hmm, as to slaves gaining XP, not too sure. TBH, I was going to DM hand waive it, just like how NPC Commoners etc. get to levels about 1.

You mean like some kind of Gnome Liberation Front?

What are Karsites?

They are a Human sub-race from Tome of Magic: they have innate SR and a couple of other abilities, but are unable to cast spells themselves.

They have a highly addictive alchemical/magical substance that they control the supply of, which briefly increases the capabilities of spellcasters who use it. However, a user in withdrawal is not able to cast spells, and it's very much possible to overdose on it and completely burn out one's ability to use magic. Of course they get every one of their spellcaster slaves addicted to this, and it can take years to gradually wean someone off of it to avoid the otherwise permanent effects of withdrawal.

That's a really good idea!

A bit like ketracel white and the Jem'Hadar from DS9?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-04-12, 12:15 AM
That's a really good idea!

A bit like ketracel white and the Jem'Hadar from DS9?

More like Dragon Age...

Thurbane
2017-04-12, 03:40 AM
More like Dragon Age...

Oh, OK, not familiar with that franchise. Still, I love the suggestion!

So, I'm going to have the Karsites farm a kind of modified monstrous centipede, and turn it's venom into a control drug for Gnomes.

Once they are on the drug for an extended period, they inherit a template that makes it very hard for the to resist orders, and also makes their bodies resistant to magical attempts to remove the addiction.

...looks like there will be a fair bit of homebrewing in the campaign. I think I'm OK with that.

Any suggestions on war beasts the Karsites could use? Magical beasts with < 3 Int scores would be a good starting point.

Tiri
2017-04-12, 04:03 AM
Any suggestions on war beasts the Karsites could use? Magical beasts with < 3 Int scores would be a good starting point.

What CR would you want these war beasts at?

Thurbane
2017-04-12, 04:08 AM
What CR would you want these war beasts at?

A whole range, since the campaign would theoretically be running 1-20.

To fill the following roles:

- Flying transport (flight, large + size)
- Heavy haulage (large +, high Str, quadrupeds)
- Shock troops (anything with good combat abilities)
- Guards (things with keen senses)

Tiri
2017-04-12, 04:17 AM
A whole range, since the campaign would theoretically be running 1-20.

To fill the following roles:

- Flying transport (flight, large + size)
- Heavy haulage (large +, high Str, quadrupeds)
- Shock troops (anything with good combat abilities)
- Guards (things with keen senses)

I can think maybe one thing at the moment, which is using Disenchanters for shock troops.

They fit with the whole 'no-magic' theme of the karsites and magic items or a lack thereof can make a difference in combat.