PDA

View Full Version : RQ3 (and Advanced) / RQ2 - House Rules

hifidelity2
2017-04-12, 07:31 AM
Well I have been asked to run a RuneQuest3 / Advanced RuneQuest adventure for my group - its been some time since I last ran a RQ games so was re-reading the rules and looking for my house rules - so show how old some of there are they were printed via dot matrix printer :smallsmile:

Anyway if you have played this and have any house rules then I would be grateful if you could post them here

A couple of mine

Max 75% parry / block / dodge
The max you can use is 75%. any extra over 75% is taken off the attackers skill. (So if I have 100% parry I can only use 75% but knock 25% off my opponent "to hit")
The reason for this is to stop the games becoming who roles a critical / fumble 1st

Dodge v Critical / Special
Dodge is weak in that you need a special or critical dodge to avoid a special / critical hit. This is different from Parry where a parry still works but is just not so effective. What I use is the if you make a normal dodge then it will reduce the severity of the hit by one - so a special becomes a normal hit and a critical becomes a special

Encumbrance
I tend to use a light touch as it only adds to record keeping - and at starting level they will only have leather so not really an issue

Khedrac
2017-04-12, 12:28 PM
Hmm, RQ houserules, let's see if I can remember what we used to use.

1. You can make a parry roll regardless of the strike rank (nothing worse than not being allowed to even try to parry a fast opponent because you are slow).
2. Allow people to choose their profession for starting skills (that or random for either 1st year or first 6 years, player's choice for rest).
3. Dodge - exactly what you do.
4. Parry - we used to do special parry = double armor points (AP) blocked, crit = all, but I prefer special parry = attack reduced one level (like normal dodge) and crit reduced 2, both only put AP in way of damage though.
(I don't see the need for the 75% cap, yes fights can be slow, but they will soon start losing AP from the parrying weapon.)
5. Boosting spirit spells - you can boost any spell to make itmore resistant to dispelling, not just offensive ones to get though countermagic.

Do get hold of the errata, useful things like Create Magic Point Matrix holds 1d10 MP per point of power, not just 1.
If using RQ3 sorcery cap Damage Boost at the weapon's normal max damage.

hifidelity2
2017-04-18, 04:21 AM
Well PC’s have been created – 2 chose ducks – so I will have fun with knockback on them.

Re-read the rules re weapons AP’s and them reducing – had forgotten how easy it can be to damage a weapon

Running Apple Lane as the intro adventure and they ignored the “Gringle likes to bargain” that they discovered while chatting to people in the tavern – no issues for me , they have just lost out on a reasonable amount of cash as they accepted his opening offer - assuming they get injured badly enough (its RQ so they will) they could end up in deficit when they have to pay for healing. This though gives me another plot hook as they could get into debt to the local healers who will want that paid off via various services

hifidelity2
2017-05-02, 08:19 AM
Well they survived Apple Lane (just) and now are feeling cocky so off to the Rainbow Mounds - which is the 2nd adventure in the book

I feel they might die - as they are underprepared but refused to take any of the hint (as players they are a bit chaotic and disorganised which is very bad for RQ)