PDA

View Full Version : Best spells against Dispel Magic

Specter
2017-04-12, 10:30 AM
If you knew your enemy would just keep dispelling anything permanent you tried to cast on him/everyone else in the field, what would you cast? (Assume you could cast any spell)

The best one I can think of right now is Slow, because it targets up to three creatures and the dispeller would have to use his action for each affected creature.

Thoughts?

Ursus the Grim
2017-04-12, 10:34 AM
If you knew your enemy would just keep dispelling anything permanent you tried to cast on him/everyone else in the field, what would you cast? (Assume you could cast any spell)

The best one I can think of right now is Slow, because it targets up to three creatures and the dispeller would have to use his action for each affected creature.

Thoughts?

I would cast Counterspell. Preferably using Subtle Spell so it couldn't be countered in return.

Verisichilli2de
2017-04-12, 10:41 AM
I'd go with Fireball :smallwink:

LeonBH
2017-04-12, 10:45 AM
I would cast magic-negation spells. Counterspell to negate Dispel Magic. Globe of Invulnerability to disallow them to target me personally and anyone within my radius.

I'd also use spells specifically immune to Dispel, such as Wall of Force. If I lock them in a box, unless they have Disintegrate, they can't cast any spells. Wall of Force blocks line of sight. Forcecage is also immune, and has the additional benefit that they can't Misty Step to escape.

I would also cast instantaneous duration spells (Fireball, as stated).

Slow is not good against Dispel Magic, because Dispel can target one magical effect rather than one creature.

Dispel Magic
Choose one creature, object, or magical effect within range. Any spell of 3rd level or lower on the target ends. For each spell of 4th level or higher on the target, make an ability check using your spellcasting ability. The DC equals 10 + the spell’s level. On a successful check, the spell ends.

JackPhoenix
2017-04-12, 01:41 PM
I would cast magic-negation spells. Counterspell to negate Dispel Magic. Globe of Invulnerability to disallow them to target me personally and anyone within my radius.

I'd also use spells specifically immune to Dispel, such as Wall of Force. If I lock them in a box, unless they have Disintegrate, they can't cast any spells. Wall of Force blocks line of sight. Forcecage is also immune, and has the additional benefit that they can't Misty Step to escape.

I would also cast instantaneous duration spells (Fireball, as stated).

Slow is not good against Dispel Magic, because Dispel can target one magical effect rather than one creature.

Slow doesn't create magical effect. It's affecting people, but it doesn't create targetable effect, unlike, say, Wall of Fire, most illusions (except Phantasmal Force) or conjuration spells.

Flashy
2017-04-12, 06:35 PM
Literally anything with an instantaneous effect

LeonBH
2017-04-12, 09:34 PM
Slow doesn't create magical effect. It's affecting people, but it doesn't create targetable effect, unlike, say, Wall of Fire, most illusions (except Phantasmal Force) or conjuration spells.

Slow does in fact create a magical effect, on the grounds that it is a magic spell and it has an effect on people. Dispel Magic only needs to target one magical effect, which Slow creates.

Specter
2017-04-12, 09:44 PM
Slow does in fact create a magical effect, on the grounds that it is a magic spell and it has an effect on people. Dispel Magic only needs to target one magical effect, which Slow creates.

Even if that's how to define 'magical effect', it doesn't mean you'll dispel all slowed people at once. It creates a different effect on three people, to which they save separately. There's no connection between them. Otherwise, you could dispel 100 slowed people within range.

Potato_Priest
2017-04-12, 09:53 PM

What point or object do you target to dispel it on everyone at once? You target a spell, person, or magical effect. How do you target the slow spell? It doesn't have a fixed center of origin or effect, and thus it cannot be determined if it is within range. Would you allow someone to dispel slow from 400 feet away? How can it even be determined if you are 400 feet away?

I believe it would be reasonable to be able to target an individual person with slow cast upon them, and remove it that way, but you can't target something that doesn't exist.

It's similar to how invisibility works. If multiple targets are under the same invisibility spell, one of them attacking doesn't break the whole thing, because it's a separate magical effect once it has been cast.

LeonBH
2017-04-12, 10:18 PM
Specter, I can accept that. My reading is different though, as the six different magical effects on six different people affected by Slow were produced by the same casting. For instance, if the caster lost concentration, all targets lose their Slow effects. This is because the caster is concentrating on one magical spell, and not on six different magical spells.

Potato_Priest, Dispel Magic doesn't look for a point of origin. It only looks for a target, which can be a creature, an object, or a magical effect. Does Slow produce a magical effect? If yes, then you can target the Slow effect.

And seeing as the range of Dispel is 120ft, then no, I wouldn't allow it to be cast 400ft away.

As for Invisibility, that spell states specifically that it doesn't end the whole spell, just the invisibility for that one creature which attacked:

Invisibility
A creature you touch becomes invisible until the spell ends. Anything the target is wearing or carrying is invisible as long as it is on the target’s person. The spell ends for a target that attacks or casts a spell.

scalyfreak
2017-04-12, 11:05 PM

Command: Silence

?