PDA

View Full Version : Making crits matter

weckar
2017-04-12, 03:00 PM
So here's what I'm feeling: most weapons (and users) that are best at lending crits consistently are in the worst place to make use of them due to low base damage output, and the fact that precision damage is not multiplied on a crit.

Are there any feats or classes that provide rider effects to crits to make aiming for them worthwhile?

Gandariel
2017-04-12, 03:11 PM
Lots of weapon enchantments. There's everything from extra [type] damage to stat debuffs and negative levels

Also, flat damage bonuses

ViperMagnum357
2017-04-12, 03:16 PM
Once you get to epic the Dread weapon quality can demolish a particular type. Honestly, most critihax builds are based around scoring many more criticals with TWF/MWF with global bonuses, and many of the better crit effects are keyed to specific enemy types or limited use, like those soul stealer weapons. Which is not to say they cannot be impressive-a crit from a Greater Dragonlance on a relatively modest charger chassis can kill many true dragons outright with a single hit, no save.

weckar
2017-04-12, 03:22 PM
What I was thinking was taking Blood in the Water, getting many attacks per round and a large crit window on the weapon used through several means. Hitting will not be the issue, really.

Weapon enchantments are nice, but being bound to specific weapons beyond what I already need is a shoebox I don't need. Again, if there's any feats or class features that serve this purpose I'd be a ton more excited.

Thanks for the aid thus far though.

ViperMagnum357
2017-04-12, 03:52 PM
Lessee...Kaorti resin is cheap enough to go on non-ammunition weapons. Look at Two-weapon fighting and Multiweapon fighting handbooks for a good place to start with global damage bonuses. If you are interested in a thrown weapon build, you can use Iaijutsu focus with 5 levels of Iaijutsu Master plus 4 levels of bloodstorm blade to reuse a small number of well enchanted weapons. If you can use 3rd party, that opens up the possibilities considerably.

weckar
2017-04-12, 04:00 PM
If I wanted a ranged build I'd just pick up a bow, because Blood in the Water still works equally well that way. Good call though that throwing is an option.

Vaz
2017-04-12, 04:05 PM
The first one that comes to mind is Lightning Mace; every time you Crit, you can make an additional attack instead of additional damage. Combine with Martial Study; Blood In The Water (or being a Martial character with that stance) and +1 Keen Aptitude Kukri's for a 13-20 range and you can just go into an exploding dice routine. Just stay away from people with Death Urge Psionic Power.

You can also increase the Critical Modifier of any weapon; either give your players the ability to train in a super secret training technique which improves their damage as a reward in game, introduce more Keen items (I'm playing in a Rokugan Campaign, where my Kakita Clan Courtier has a Saya that grants me a x4 Modifier in the first round I draw the blade, so it doesn't need to replace the item. Possibly an enchanted whetstone for a bladed item, or some unobtainium oil that can coat a bludgeoning one), or just actually making specific items; such as Kaorti Resin.

If you're Good, you can pick up Resounding Blow and Quell The Profane which makes Evil Foes Cower when Crit, and deals Strength Damage to Evil foes respectively.

If you're a Necropolitan (or another Undead), you can take Daunting Presnce>Death Master to cause Shaken on the target for a full minute. If you want to go deeper, Eviscerator also requires Improved Critical, but also deals that Shaken condition to those allied to the target within 30ft

Drow Scorpion Warrior requires specific weapons, but allows you to cause Con damage and improve your accuracy if you keep hitting the same target in the next attack after getting a critical with that weapon. Limited to Xen'drik Drow however.

Roundabout Kick works similar to Lightning Warrior except it works on Unarmed Strikes.

Twist The Knife (Exemplars of Evil) allows you to forgo additional damage in order to force -3 to attack, damage rolls, saves, ability and skill checks for a number of rounds equal to Weapon Crit Modifier (Improved Crit required)

Telling Blow allows your Sneak Attackers/Skirmishers to deal that damage on an successful Crit. Unclear if you can apply Sneak Attack Twice if you cause a Crit while Sneak Attacking.

Staggering Critical no-save slows the target for a round after inflicting a Crit. Requires Improved Crit.

Staggering Blow causes a Stun with an Improved Critical Bludgeoning Weapon/Unarmed Strike (Strength based DC).

weckar
2017-04-12, 04:12 PM
Dang Vaz, that's a lot of stuff. Exactly what I was looking for too. And most of those look to potentially stack, and many of them are Fighter Bonus Feats...

Could it be that for the first time I'd be tempted to take more than 2 levels of that class?

flappeercraft
2017-04-12, 04:18 PM
Lightning Mace is a must

Edit: Ninja'd