PDA

View Full Version : Undead that Create more Undead?

Cowboy_ninja
2017-04-12, 03:59 PM
I need ideas or a list of undead creatures CR 15, or less that just go around and kill people/civilians who will rise as undead and go around doing the same.

Thanks!

frogglesmash
2017-04-12, 04:04 PM
Wights and Shadows are some of the best creatures for this sort of thing.

Graysire
2017-04-12, 08:11 PM
Don't forget the Wraiths!

From Libris Mortis we have:
Bleakborn
Crypt Chanter
Forsaken Shell
Necromentals (only with elementals)
Slaughter Wight
Umbral Creature
Visage (only with evil outsiders)
Skin Kite

Coidzor
2017-04-12, 08:29 PM
The collection of necromantic oddities might be of interest. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=181.0)

Necroplasms are from Ghostwalk and have a Create Spawn ability.

Ghouls and Ghasts and Lacedons and other sundry variants spread a disease that turns people into Ghouls or Ghasts or the like.

Similar to Ghouls, there are some variant rules or just variant Zombies that spread a zombie plague.

Mohrgs will turn anything they kill into a Zombie, even very high HD creatures that couldn't be made into Zombies with Animate Dead or other spells.

Vampires can turn other creatures into Vampire Spawn or Vampires, but typically don't do so indiscriminately as they want to keep control over their limited pool of controlled spawn.

Spectres are basically slightly stronger Wraiths.

There are Dread Wraiths and Greater Shadows which literally are beefed up versions of their base forms.

Nightcrawlers are a form of Nightshade (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/nightshade.htm)that has Energy Drain and thus can make wights. All Nightshades can summon various spawn-producing undead.

Spawn of Kyuss are from Monster Manual 2 and have Create Spawn.

A few of the Dragon magazines created template versions of things like Wights and Shadows and Ghouls, and possibly Wraiths and Spectres. I can't remember the issue numbers or articles, alas.

Cowboy_ninja
2017-04-12, 09:31 PM
This should do. Thanks!

Thurbane
2017-04-12, 10:59 PM
AFB right now, but I think the Feral Savage Vampire template makes Vampires far more indiscriminate about "turning" their victims.

Coidzor
2017-04-12, 11:54 PM
Devourers have Energy Drain so they can make Wights, and they have a Control Undead SLA.

AFB right now, but I think the Feral Vampire template makes Vampires far more indiscriminate about "turning" their victims.

Savage Vampires from Dragon 348 may be able to create vampires with their blood drain ability, but I think they're mostly going to create an ever-growing zombie army made out of those they kill with their energy drain ability, because their Energy Drain attack makes Zombies.

Calthropstu
2017-04-13, 01:55 PM
Surprised no one mentioned Bodaks.

Those are easily one of the most dangerous undead around, since they are driven to create more of their kind and can potentially create undead with class levels without having class levels themselves.

Thurbane
2017-04-13, 05:31 PM
Savage Vampires from Dragon 348 may be able to create vampires with their blood drain ability, but I think they're mostly going to create an ever-growing zombie army made out of those they kill with their energy drain ability, because their Energy Drain attack makes Zombies.

I was actually thinking of Savage Vampires from Libris Mortis (p.170), which work a bit differently.

ksbsnowowl
2017-04-19, 04:29 AM
Surprised no one mentioned Bodaks.

Those are easily one of the most dangerous undead around, since they are driven to create more of their kind and can potentially create undead with class levels without having class levels themselves.

Source for this?

TheifofZ
2017-04-19, 05:36 AM
The basic Bodak spawn ability only says that it spawns a bodak after 24 hours; likely either from a separate book, or loose reading of that and the fluff that says that 'they retain some memories of when they were alive'.

Thurbane
2017-04-19, 07:44 AM
I know there is a Bodak Creature template in the Dragon Magazine Compendium. Perhaps that is what is being referenced?

Calthropstu
2017-04-19, 07:51 AM
Source for this?

Oh, I was looking at the pathfinder version. There is quite a bit of fluff in the PF version for it that isn't in 3.5.

ShurikVch
2017-04-19, 03:58 PM
Ulgurstasta (Fiend Folio) spawn skeletons

More Undeads with Create Spawn:

Wights:
Dragon Wight (https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/cg/cg20010727a)
http://ddm-images.s3.amazonaws.com/cards/WD/41R.gif
http://ddm-images.s3.amazonaws.com/cards/WD/41S.gifTime Wight (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20030620a)

Incarnum Wraith (Magic of Incarnum)

Various Ghouls and Ghasts spreading Ghoul Fever, which turn infected into more Ghouls or Ghasts

And a few more from the Libris Mortis:
Bleakborn
Blood Amniote
Crypt Chanter
Forsaken Shell
Necromental
Visage

atemu1234
2017-04-20, 01:00 AM
Anyone have any undead with Create Undead as an SLA?

ksbsnowowl
2017-04-20, 01:06 AM
Anyone have any undead with Create Undead as an SLA?

It's plot-device-driven, not inherent, but see the BBEG vampire in The Heart of Nightfang Spire.

A Pit Fiend that was made into some form of undead that kept most abilities of the base creature would have it.

Coidzor
2017-04-20, 01:24 AM
Oh, I was looking at the pathfinder version. There is quite a bit of fluff in the PF version for it that isn't in 3.5.

:smallconfused: I was just looking at the PF version and didn't see anything about Bodaks being able to make Bodaks or any other form of undead with class levels. Saw a bit about Giants keeping their RHD if it was greater than that of a basic Bodak or how to handle additional heads, like if an Ettin was turned.

It's plot-device-driven, not inherent, but see the BBEG vampire in The Heart of Nightfang Spire.

A Pit Fiend that was made into some form of undead that kept most abilities of the base creature would have it.

At-will, too. Nice.

Calthropstu
2017-04-20, 11:27 AM
:smallconfused: I was just looking at the PF version and didn't see anything about Bodaks being able to make Bodaks or any other form of undead with class levels. Saw a bit about Giants keeping their RHD if it was greater than that of a basic Bodak or how to handle additional heads, like if an Ettin was turned.

At-will, too. Nice.

It's there on the d20pfsrd.

Even among ordinary humans, a few manage to retain enough shreds of their former lives to retain some of their class levels and abilities—

frogglesmash
2017-04-20, 12:36 PM
Typically creatures killed by a bodak's death attack rises as a bodak, listing all of their former stats in the process. I did find reference to a goal feature template in Dragon #307

unseenmage
2017-04-20, 01:34 PM
Any Undead with levels in a spellcasting class capable of casting spells that create undead.

Alternatively, Undead. with SLAs that create more undead.