PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new series of novels (Pulp Adventure/Urban Fantasy)

Bryan
2017-04-12, 06:54 PM
Hello. I'm looking for a new series to obsess over and thought I'd take a stab at finding something that I've always wanted but couldn't find.

I enjoy Matthew Reilly style adventure novels but sometimes think that the pulp adventure fun would benefit from stronger fantasy or science fiction elements.

I enjoy globetrotting adventures, often including a treasure hunt.

The closest I've come is when I read the novelization for the 1999 movie, the Mummy. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for but obviously, the story was rather familiar.

Does anyone know of a series like this?

Thank you

chainer1216
2017-04-13, 12:23 AM
Not a lot of globe trotting but The Dresden Files are about a private investigator who is also a wizard. Its set in modern times and a lot of the more magical aspects are influenced pretty heavily by real world mythologies.

BWR
2017-04-13, 01:21 AM
Hard to beat the classics: just about anything by Edgar Rice Burroughs will do. I am very fond of Tarzan . Not terribly SF, but the fantasy elements vary. Or just read his Barsoom stories, starting with "A Princess of Mars".

Doc Savage is perhaps the epitome of this sort of thing. Various writers and media, with the likes of Philip Jose Farmer as a fan and writer. And we will be getting a movie in a year or two (fingers crossed).

Not quite so fantastical, but part of the pulp canon, H. Rider Haggard, with stories like "King Solomon's Mines" and "She". Sax Rohmer's "Fu Manchu" stories are fun, though these are in many ways closer to Sherlock Holmes than supernatural adventure

Jacques Tardi's Adele Blanc-Sec (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Extraordinary_Adventures_of_Ad%C3%A8le_Blanc-Sec)comics. We got an amusing film a few years back.

tantric
2017-04-13, 03:04 AM
allow me to introduce you to Detective Inspector Chen (https://www.amazon.com/Snake-Agent-Detective-Inspector-Novels/dp/1480438197) (say 'nihao')

Chen lives in Singapore Three sometime in the relatively near future (it’s never said, but I’m thinking the late 2000s). The barriers between Heaven, Hell, and the “real” world are thin, and they all have to deal with each other. Chen is one of the only cops in Singapore Three who deals regularly with the celestial beings, and his colleagues tend to avoid him because he’s had to deal with Hell too often. This time, the ghost of a murdered girl doesn’t arrive in Heaven as it’s supposed to, and the grieving mother comes to Chen to investigate why. Seneschal Zhu Irzh is a demon on Hell’s Vice Squad, and he’s tasked with tracking down an escaped dead prostitute from one of Hell’s brothels. With both of them pulling at the same dead soul, conflict is inevitable, but they might end up working together to stop an even bigger conspiracy from one of Hell’s highest, and most sinister, ministries - one that will combine demonic power and modern technology to wipe out millions.