PDA

View Full Version : Four little words. SPOILERS

The honest illusionist
2007-07-28, 09:59 PM
This could just be the Giant messing with us, but...

Vaarsuvius was at the right place, boarding the last ship leaving Azure City, to aid the Order of the Stick. (S)he was there at the exact time Elan, Durkon, Soon and company arrived.

Then, after Elan saw Vaarsuvius and told him/her that (s)he was brilliant, Vaarsuvius spoke 4 words. "I beg your pardon?"

She said what I will assume are the right four words, to the right being. She was there, with the right being, at the right time; not for the 'right' reason (loyalty, duty) but for all the 'wrong' reasons (selfishness, cowardice)

Now, if I'm right, then either 'Ultimate Arcane Power' is only the use of arcane magic (which Elan is casting on Vaarsuvius's behalf) or this will lead to something bigger.

Any thoughts?

Mant
2007-07-28, 10:03 PM
Yes, one: what the hell are you talking about?

Saithis Bladewing
2007-07-28, 10:06 PM
While it is technically possible, it's unlikely. But who knows, we might see.

@^ He's saying that V is on the boat for the wrong reasons but said the four right words to Elan: "I beg your pardon?"

The honest illusionist
2007-07-28, 10:26 PM
I'm aware that it's a bit of a stretch.

Chronos
2007-07-28, 10:31 PM
Yes, one: what the hell are you talking about?Vaarsuvius will achieve complete and total arcane power by saying the right four words to the right being at the right time for all the wrong reasons (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html).

I don't buy that this is it, though... "I beg your pardon" was neither the first thing e said to Elan (that would be "Um... Hello, Elan"), nor was it the thing which led to the arcane cooperation we see ("You cast one singular spell today?"). And while Vaarsuvius was in the right place for the wrong reasons, the prophecy said nothing about the right place, and the wrong reasons are presumably the wrong reasons to say those words, not the wrong reasons for es presence.

Accountant
2007-07-28, 11:36 PM
I hope we aren't going to get a thread like this every time V says something that is 4 words long. When (s)he is about to possess ultimate arcane power, we'll know. Personally, I always thought it would be cool if (s)he obtained said power while taking the prestige class achmage, which is possible for your next level as a 13th wizard.

Holy_Knight
2007-07-29, 01:00 AM
Well, I will say it gains a bit of credence from the fact that Vaarsuvius actually mentions his "supposed "ultimate arcane power"" during that conversation. So it's possible. It's still a little bit of a stretch, though.

I have my own theory, although I'm not sure whether to post it here or not because I don't want to hijack the thread.

factotum
2007-07-29, 02:13 AM
Why do I get the impression that something like this will pop up every time a word balloon with only four words in it appears next to Vaarsuvius? :smallbiggrin:

Ettlesby
2007-07-29, 02:24 AM
Why do I get the impression that something like this will pop up every time a word balloon with only four words in it appears next to Vaarsuvius? :smallbiggrin:

Because it has become a natural law on this board. *nod-nod*

Balathustrius
2007-07-29, 02:47 AM
This theory is untrue.

Omg! Right four words (see above) to the right being (OP) at the right time (just now!!!) for all the wrong reasons (to be a smartass).

Ohhho! Ultimate arcane power, here I come!

Sorry, everyone. :smallbiggrin:

Shadic
2007-07-29, 02:54 AM
Who says that the four words can be the only words in the sentence, anyways?

Mc. Lovin'
2007-07-29, 03:31 AM
Who says that the four words can be the only words in the sentence, anyways?

Oooh clever ...

bluish_wolf
2007-07-29, 03:39 AM
I think the actual words themselves have to be said for the wrong reason. Asking someone to elaborate is pretty straightforward and not really saying the right thing for the wrong reason.

Arnen
2007-07-29, 05:37 AM
Since when is bardic magic "ultimate arcane power"? :smallconfused:

jamroar
2007-07-29, 06:01 AM
I suspect the four word reply and mention of ultimate arcane power in the scene is supposed to remind us one more time of V's doom, and the real offer of ultimate arcane power will come very soon now.

bluish_wolf
2007-07-29, 05:07 PM
Since when is bardic magic "ultimate arcane power"? :smallconfused:

That's the trick. First level spells are actually ultimate arcane power. Take magic missile. It grows in power as you gain levels. Eventually, you'll have, like 15 missiles. (OK, not really)

RAGE KING!
2007-07-29, 06:12 PM
I have my own theory, although I'm not sure whether to post it here or not because I don't want to hijack the thread.

- post it, the above theory is only gunna be discussed for like, 5 more posts anyways.

we could change the name of the thread to theories about v's power.

- i have one thing to say for ultimate arcane power:

+60 grapple, 500d20 constrict, improved grab.

bluish_wolf
2007-07-29, 06:49 PM
That's not arcane, that's just being really strong physically.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-29, 11:18 PM
That's the trick. First level spells are actually ultimate arcane power. Take magic missile. It grows in power as you gain levels. Eventually, you'll have, like 15 missiles. (OK, not really)

I actually think that cantrips are more powerful than people give them credit for. I mean, Mage Hand can lift 5 pounds of material, and PROPEL IT 15 FEET. Big honking rock to the side of the head, anyone? Ghost Sound? Awesome for distractions and stuff. Dancing Lights? What darkness? Message? Mending?

They're actually pretty useful.

TreesOfDeath
2007-07-30, 06:18 AM
Intresting idea, but too far a stretch. Much too far.
However, it could be forshadowing. Maybe V could be fleeing from other place or something and show up "when needed" and unleash something bad

ChopSticks28
2007-07-30, 06:59 AM
I'm sure Rich would make it a lot more clear when the prophecies will come true. You can just think "Hey, he said four words! That's probobly it!"

RAGE KING!
2007-07-30, 09:17 AM
That's not arcane, that's just being really strong physically.

but if i grapple a spellcaster they have to use higher level spell slots for still spell. (if they even have it.) improved grab lets me thwack them first, as opposed to just initiative grapple. (sunder check to hands), and constrict lets me pwn them.

What i should have said was "I have one thing to say for ultimate arcane power, grapple check."

Daimbert
2007-07-30, 10:04 AM
Oh, come now, we all know what the 4 little words will be:

"Pass me that doily" [grin]. (See http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0033.html )

Now all we need to know is the right person and the right time, and the wrong reasons ...

Lira
2007-07-30, 11:00 AM
Oh, come now, we all know what the 4 little words will be:

"Pass me that doily" [grin]. (See http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0033.html )

Now all we need to know is the right person and the right time, and the wrong reasons ...Ah, however, that doily is the gateway to "Ultimate Cosmic Power", but V is looking for "Ultimate Arcane Power (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html)". :smalltongue:

Daimbert
2007-07-30, 11:10 AM
Ah, however, that doily is the gateway to "Ultimate Cosmic Power", but V is looking for "Ultimate Arcane Power (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0331.html)". :smalltongue:

First you gets the Cosmic, then you gets the Arcane, then you gets the women, err, men, err, beings ... oh you know what I mean [grin].

Sigbru
2007-07-30, 12:16 PM
I hope we aren't going to get a thread like this every time V says something that is 4 words long. When (s)he is about to possess ultimate arcane power, we'll know. Personally, I always thought it would be cool if (s)he obtained said power while taking the prestige class achmage, which is possible for your next level as a 13th wizard.

But we will... we will

If the I Beg you pardon ? is right then it will be the most anticlimax scene in the history of the webcomics

Alysar
2007-07-30, 03:38 PM
V's 4 words:

I attack the :mitd:Darkness:mitd: