PDA

View Full Version : Can someone point me towards an anime streaming service...

Starwulf
2017-04-12, 08:59 PM
That has English DUBBED anime? For the most part, I can't stand subtitled anime, I just really dislike the JP VA's. Just today got new internet that doesn't limit me to 30gb a month and I want to go on a serious anime watching binge, but the site my buddy directed me towards, crunchyroll, is subbed only it appears ><

Artemis97
2017-04-12, 11:56 PM
I will second the need for good english dubbed anime. I don't mind Japanese VA's so much, but sometimes, I really really just don't want to read. I want to watch the show. I miss stuff if I'm reading or things go by too fast. Anyways, I try KissAnime or KissCartoons for some stuff. Don't know what they have overall whether dubbed or subbed, but it's an alternate to Crunchyroll.

Topaz
2017-04-13, 12:04 AM
Funimation and Crunchyroll have a partnership in the US; for the most part, Crunchy runs the subs and Funimation the dubbed versions.

BWR
2017-04-13, 01:15 AM
I hate re-dubbed stuff 8because technically the originals are dubbed too). I can understand getting annoyed at certain common elements in the Japanese dubs (like the excessively common squeeky voices for so many characters) but it still sounds so much better in the original than other languages. Reading subs is easy.

tomandtish
2017-04-13, 04:50 PM
Funimation is what I use. It's costing $55 a year, but I MAY be grandfathered in under an older contract fee.

Anime network also has dubs. They have a smaller library than Funimation.

GloatingSwine
2017-04-13, 05:01 PM
"Dubbing" and "Extensive Library" are things which are not going to go together.

Because dubbing is far far more expensive than whipping up some subtitles companies who do it will necessarily have to make less product because they can't use the "throw enough **** at the wall and some of it will stick" method that eg. Crunchyroll uses (by god there's some proper tat on there).

That means that there will always be less of it, it will only be shows that are going to be reasonably guaranteed to work commercially, and it will always come way later after everyone else already got bored talking about that show or is waiting for next season.

tomandtish
2017-04-13, 05:26 PM
I'll agree that you're probably never going to see as complete a dub library as a sub library.

OTOH, Funimation has started simuldubs and simulcasts for some new shows, which run about three weeks behind the sub release. Attack on Titan season 2 started in Japan 4/1/17, and will be on Funimation and Toonami 4/22/17.

Psyren
2017-04-13, 06:17 PM
Netflix and Hulu let you choose your language too IIRC.

What specific show(s) are you looking for?

Starwulf
2017-04-13, 09:20 PM
Netflix and Hulu let you choose your language too IIRC.

What specific show(s) are you looking for?

Umm, none really. Just want a site that I know has a good selection so I can binge out over the next several months since I've not been able to watch much anime besides what airs on Adult Swim for a very long time. I mean, I'd love to find Dragon Ball Super that goes past eps13(doesn't seem like such exists yet), and Re:Zero would be wonderful as well. All of Naruto Shippuden I guess? I haven't actually searched for it on Netflix yet, they may have Shippuden on there. Oooh, "Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon"!! Hehe, my buddy has told me good things about that one, would be nice to watch it as well in dubbed.

That Kissanime site has some good ones on there, but I had to literally turn off adblock and noscript entirely(It wouldn't even work when I whitelisted it, had to entirely turn both off), which worries me a bit, those plus windows defender is my primary protection against bad stuff, so having it off is concerning to me.

Edit: Hmm, how in the world does neither Netflix, or Funimation, have freaking Naruto Shippuden. Hell, Adult Swim airs Naruto Shippuden, and AS is directly linked to freaking Funimation.

tomandtish
2017-04-14, 08:46 AM
Edit: Hmm, how in the world does neither Netflix, or Funimation, have freaking Naruto Shippuden. Hell, Adult Swim airs Naruto Shippuden, and AS is directly linked to freaking Funimation.

Funmiation doesn't have licensing rights to Naruto Shippuden. Viz media does. Netflix had worked a subdeal with Funimation but for a long time had no deal with Viz, so no Viz shows.

However, they did enter into a deal with Viz relatively recently, so it's possible it may show up in the future. Several Viz licensed shows have shown up recently. One Punch Man, Moribito* (used the be licensed to funimation, left when Viz got rights and is now back). But given that Netflix is doing a lot of their own programming now, they may not be willing to pay as much as they were in the past.

*And that's the important thing to remember. The licenses for the streaming/broadcast rights aren't unlimited, so shows will come and go based on who is willing to pay for them. Both Death Note and Moribito were on Funimation at one point, but when the license expired Viz acquired the rights.

And with the Cruncyroll/Funimation deal (http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/crunchyroll-funimation-anime-cross-license-1201855020/) back in 2016, Funimation is not likely to pick up titles that it isn't doing the dub work for anymore.

Sapphire Guard
2017-04-14, 01:20 PM
So Funimation only does dubs? I've been contemplating signing up, but that would be a hurdle.

tomandtish
2017-04-14, 02:34 PM
Yes and no. They currently have some shows sub only, but I suspect as licensing agreements expire those will move on.

Shows that they have dubs for they tend to have both sub and dub versions of (most, but not in all cases). I suspect that the end goal will be that IF they are showing a show, they'll be showing both dub and sub (so an all or nothing approach).

From the linked article in my previous post:

Funimation also will now distribute Crunchyroll’s titles through home video and a variety of EST outlets, with both dubbed and subtitled versions together.