PDA

View Full Version : The spell touched (race)

Kiren
2007-07-28, 11:06 PM
I know it probably sucks but its my first attempt at a race

Outcasted

The outcasted are nearly human like in apperance though are gifted from birth with special powers, they are ussualy exiled from where they used to live from for this, they ussualy look like the best of their race. Their power is said to be given by a dark celestial being.

+2 str +2 dex +2 intel -2 wisdom -2 charisma

Medium: As Medium creatures, Outcasted have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Outcasted base land speed is 30 feet.
Automatic Language: Common, Bonus: Undercommon, elven
Usaly chaotic neutral Chaotic Neutral
Wings: at charactor level 5 they grow black angel wings, they allow twice movement speed with adverage menuverability
Favored Class: Dusk Blade male , Beguiler female

Elc: +1

comment

Archaic
2007-07-28, 11:35 PM
"hey-yah.... hey-yah..." Heh. I've got that song in my head now. I don't remember Andre 3000 with angel wings but... OH! You don't mean "Outkast" You mean "Outcasted" (sic) :smallbiggrin:

Being a pedant can I just say that "outcast" means rejected, ostracised etc. It implies a current status based on past events. I'm not sure that "outcasted" is a real word. "Spell touched" is a good name for a race, though. Can I suggest you stick with something like that? "Spell touched" is already a series of feats in Unearthed Arcana though. Perhaps if these characters get dark angel wings and have connections to dark celestial beings, you could take inspiration from literature. You could call them "nephlim" or "descendents of the fallen".

I think +1 level adjustment is about right. On the one hand you're giving an overall +2 to attributes and effectively a permanent fly spell. I'd suggest that you tone it down a little though by initially having poor maneuverability and standard speed and improving this at successive levels, maxing to perfect and double ground speed at around 15th level. Otherwise there's no way I'm walking anywhere after 5th level: I'll just get myself a longbow and turn things into pinchusions from a distance. I'd also suggest a -2 penalty to social interactions like the diabolus race in Dragon (Compendium).
I'd also suggest just having the one favoured class as that can be misused by power-gamers. Perhaps align it to gender they way drow have it: give males Duskblade and females Beguilers, or vice versa. Personally I'd tend to give them Warlock as a favoured class. It fits with the race concept and alignment restriction, and is a class that conveys some advantages at low level at will complement almost any other class choice. Also, if they tend to look like the best of their race why to they take a charisma penalty but gain an intelligence boost?
Finally, why the alignment restriction if they're intended as a PC race? "Usually Chaotic Neutral" would be better.