PDA

View Full Version : DM Help What should this item's rarity be?

Pfhagthyeh
2017-04-13, 01:14 AM
Hrunig's Fist
Weapon (greatclub), _________ (requires attunement)

This large blunt weapon is carved from petrified wood; the bark on its surface has the feel and durability of stone. Its surface is decorated with carvings of faces, writhing and screaming in agony.

You have a +2 bonus on attack and damage rolls made with this weapon. In addition, when you score a critical hit against a target, you maximize your weapon damage dice in addition to doubling them.

Siege. When you attack an object with this magic greatclub and hit, you double your damage.

Hateful. When you make an attack roll against a creature and hit, you may place a hateful Mark upon it. The target must succeed on a DC 16 Constitution saving throw. It makes this saving throw at disadvantage if it currently has less than half of its maximum hit points remaining, or currently has the Frightened condition. If the target fails their saving throw, a dark mark of pain places itself upon them, empowering your strikes. A marked creature's speed is halved, and it has disadvantage on attack rolls against any creature other than you. Also, you gain a cumulative +1 bonus to damage rolls with this weapon for every round that the Marked target takes damage but does not drop to 0 hit points. You can only have one Mark active at a time, and it lasts for one hour or until the Marked target dies, whichever comes first. When you have used this ability of Hrünig's Fist, you cannot use it again until the next dawn.

This is a custom item for a player in my SKT campaign, as part of his backstory. The short backstory of the item is that it was created for an ogre who served under a demon, and the demon loved to watch its enemies suffer (hence the mark, which grows more powerful as the target gets more and more injured). This is meant to be a fairly powerful item for a high-level character, and I initially listed it as Very Rare but I'm not sure. What do y'all think?

Sagetim
2017-04-13, 03:10 AM
This is a custom item for a player in my SKT campaign, as part of his backstory. The short backstory of the item is that it was created for an ogre who served under a demon, and the demon loved to watch its enemies suffer (hence the mark, which grows more powerful as the target gets more and more injured). This is meant to be a fairly powerful item for a high-level character, and I initially listed it as Very Rare but I'm not sure. What do y'all think?

Very Rare sounds about right to me. Might be Legendary, but the question becomes: do you need it to have a rarity rating at all? What I mean by that is, if the players aren't making them, and it's a one of a kind item, do you need to worry about it's rarity rating at all? And even if the players do want to manufacture one, the baseline 5e magic item creation rules would make it take years, possibly decades if it's a Legendary.

So that might be a good way to come to a deciding factor on it: How long do you imagine it taking the demon to make? If it's a Legendary Item, then it could have taken decades to forge, which means the ogre may well have died of old age before it's fancy demon club was done being made.