PDA

View Full Version : Mobile vision across planes

you randomly
2017-04-13, 06:33 AM
I'm looking for a way to keep an eye on my party/clone while I'm on another plane so far I've looked at psionic sense link (doesn't work across planes), spymaster's coin (low duration), mind's eye (potentially clunky), correspond persistent (no sense only communication)

Sense link was ideal but i would have to keep casting acorn of far travel somehow

I'm hoping to find something that works better

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-13, 07:05 AM
What's wrong with Greater Scrying? Get a Scry Shard (MIC, easier to carry around), cast Greater Scrying and you can look in on whoever whenever you want.
If you want to add communication you can just cast Message.

Jack_Simth
2017-04-13, 07:26 AM
I'm looking for a way to keep an eye on my party/clone while I'm on another plane so far I've looked at psionic sense link (doesn't work across planes), spymaster's coin (low duration), mind's eye (potentially clunky), correspond persistent (no sense only communication)

Sense link was ideal but i would have to keep casting acorn of far travel somehow

I'm hoping to find something that works better

Step 1: Cast Animate Dead on a mouse corpse, to make an utterly inconsequential skeleton.
Step 2: Put it in a transparent cage your real target will carry (or sew it into one of their garments - whatever).
Step 3: Cast Greater Scrying on the skeleton mouse whenever you feel like it.

Psyren
2017-04-13, 09:19 AM
Remote Viewing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/remoteViewing.htm)

you randomly
2017-04-13, 03:38 PM
It's for a stp erudute, and i need something that can follow the party at the same speed

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-13, 03:54 PM
It's for a stp erudute, and i need something that can follow the party at the same speed

Scrying Sensor moves at 150ft max. That's not enough?

Uncle Pine
2017-04-13, 03:56 PM
Binding Malphas gives you a raven or a dove you can use to do exactly this, although I'm not sure how useful this information can be to a StP Erudite.

you randomly
2017-04-13, 04:06 PM
Scrying Sensor moves at 150ft max. That's not enough?

Where is that from?

Psyren
2017-04-13, 04:07 PM

*points at Remote Viewing again*

Climb inside their backpack, come out occasionally to look around if you hear something. Or just manifest it periodically. do you need to see them continuously?

you randomly
2017-04-13, 04:16 PM

Climb inside their backpack, come out occasionally to look around if you hear something. Or just manifest it periodically. do you need to see them continuously?

Preferably, I'm worried about that XP cost starting to add up

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-13, 04:16 PM
Where is that from?

From the description of the Scrying (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scrying.htm) spell.

If the save fails, you can see and hear the subject and the subject’s immediate surroundings (approximately 10 feet in all directions of the subject). If the subject moves, the sensor follows at a speed of up to 150 feet.

The problem with Remote Viewing is that it shuts down your own senses. With Greater Scrying you can just leave it running in the mirror/Scrying Shard and take a look occassionally.
Kinda like leaving the TV running while you go do something else.

Greater Scrying also lasts 1 hour/level (as opposed to 1 min/level), has a shorter cast time (1 standard vs 1 hour) and doesn't cost (admittedly negligible) XP.
The only reason for a StP Erudite to use Remote Viewing is if you want to manifest a power through it. Magic doesn't get that feature.

you randomly
2017-04-13, 04:32 PM
*snip*

I think I'll go with this or sense link and a permanent/item of acorn of far travel

Jack_Simth
2017-04-13, 06:27 PM
Oh. In that case...
a) You have a Psicrystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm#psicrystals).
b) You eventually get Channel Power.
c) You can cast spells!

Cast Greater Scrying on your Psicrystal. Focus on short-range other-buff powers. Contribute to fights by getting your party mates up. Alternately, channel self-buff powers through your psicrystal onto your psicrystal. FAQ has them as disposable, as does Pathfinder. This works provided you stay within one mile of your pet rock.

you randomly
2017-04-13, 07:16 PM
Oh. In that case...
a) You have a Psicrystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/classes/psion.htm#psicrystals).
b) You eventually get Channel Power.
c) You can cast spells!

Cast Greater Scrying on your Psicrystal. Focus on short-range other-buff powers. Contribute to fights by getting your party mates up. Alternately, channel self-buff powers through your psicrystal onto your psicrystal. FAQ has them as disposable, as does Pathfinder. This works provided you stay within one mile of your pet rock.

the problem with this is i plan on being off plane so i wont be with in a mile of my psicrystal
on the other hand i also plan on having the psicrystal be a kind of plugin computer for a sentiant liberary which is where i plan on being so that i can research who/what that part are looking at, and using either a fision copy or just using power by proxy (dsp) and manifesting accross a persistent corrispond to contribute