PDA

View Full Version : Character Build Help/Ideas

Azreal
2017-04-13, 08:14 AM
So I have a concept for a character but I'm unsure of how I want to build him. I'm not afraid of being cliche or edgelord with this guy.

He's going to be a son of an incubus into a famous family of knights and raised by said family. He wouldn't meet his father until around 13 when his magic started to manifest and dad showed up to teach him how to use it.

One thing is I'm using a refluffed Changeling for the Alter Self at will but other then that I'm not sure of class or build really at all and I'm fairly open to ideas We are starting level 5, the party is an Aasimar Pally, Human Necromancer, Human Druid, and I have no idea what our fifth member is.

So friends what ideas do you have?

Zman
2017-04-13, 08:22 AM
How about Tiefling with the Noble background and Sorcerer pen warlock for a Class? Covers just about everything.

RipTide
2017-04-13, 09:03 AM
So you are already going a modified changeling you said, so you are more looking for class build info, well...

Your backstory would fit nicely with a warlock something, probably fiend patron. Being raised by a family of knights it would make sense to favor melee combat so bladelock would work well. Focous Str > Con > Cha, Starting at level 5 go 2 levels of fighter for armor proficiency and action surge then go straight warlock, you can also dip a 3rd level of fighter later for battlemaster for even more short rest resources. Pick up pole arm master so you can get the bonus action attack to get the most out of hex.

other than that a slightly reflufed bladesinger might work nicely, if your DM will lift the elf only restriction. Or if you want to go a semi rebelling against the family that raised you way an arcane trickster rogue could work pretty well.

Specter
2017-04-13, 11:51 AM
Bladelock or Paladin/Sorcerer seem like the best bets.

Shadowflick
2017-04-14, 09:30 AM
I would say a sorcerer or warlock. Warlock if he's using powers from his dad or mom. Sorcerer if the power come from himself

Paeleus
2017-04-14, 09:44 AM
Maybe talk to your DM and see if they would be willing to let you l the Dhampir race (found here https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dhampir_(5e_Race) ). I would change the Vampire Heritage damage to base 1d4 Psychic and disadvantage on Charisma checks or something. I'm picturing Thomas from the Dresden Files. Very dark, very handsome, very mysterious. Daddy issues and the pain of existence included.

As for class, sorcerer seems fitting if you are "coming into" your magic. Maybe a fighter dip? Unearthed Arcana provides a melee focused spell caster in the Stone Sorcerer ( found here http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/26_UASorcererUA020617s.pdf ). These classes are still playtest, but multiclassing fighter granting a fighting style, 1d10 bonus action heal/short rest, and an extra 1d10 hit die shouldn't throw anything off IMdumbO. If you're planning a second

I see warlock was mentioned, and while I agree that it fits thematically, the limited slots and time spent short resting to regain resources can be a drag with certain DMs and/or party composition.

Arcangel4774
2017-04-14, 11:58 PM
Is UA allowed?

Mortis_Elrod
2017-04-15, 01:37 AM
Warlock is the easiest option sorcerer being the next. Might i suggest a bard. If ua is allowed id say satire its my fave but any bard is fine. Here's why

If your Pally buddy is cool he'll fall into oathbreaker and help out his necromancer friend with those undead buffs. Your necro is gonna be hanging out wanting to build a couple meat sack front liners to supplement the Paladin who is so far your only mentioned frontline. Your druid could go and do whatever druids do but will likely fall into supporting the party in some way unless hes a BEAR. If you go bard, you have these nice little dice you can throw out to anyone including the dead meat sacs that your necro friend likes to summon. Suddenly your meat sacs aren't just potatoes. They are fullfledged unending nightmares that love your deathmetal and will kill anyone who dares to besmirch your name. With a Oathbreaker Captain taking inspiring leader (or you could), a Necromancer blasting from the back and picking up new recruits along the way, some druid heals and utility, and Robzombie(YOU) keeping morale high with top hits like Highway to Hell and Living Dead Girl, you can take on the world.
Bonus if your this a Death cleric and your druid goes Twilight.

You're dad can be a Valor Bard or some such or the knights drummers. Keep the Cadence my son, never let the beat die and you can win a war.

SMac8988
2017-04-15, 08:38 AM
Warlock is the easiest option sorcerer being the next. Might i suggest a bard. If ua is allowed id say satire its my fave but any bard is fine. Here's why

If your Pally buddy is cool he'll fall into oathbreaker and help out his necromancer friend with those undead buffs. Your necro is gonna be hanging out wanting to build a couple meat sack front liners to supplement the Paladin who is so far your only mentioned frontline. Your druid could go and do whatever druids do but will likely fall into supporting the party in some way unless hes a BEAR. If you go bard, you have these nice little dice you can throw out to anyone including the dead meat sacs that your necro friend likes to summon. Suddenly your meat sacs aren't just potatoes. They are fullfledged unending nightmares that love your deathmetal and will kill anyone who dares to besmirch your name. With a Oathbreaker Captain taking inspiring leader (or you could), a Necromancer blasting from the back and picking up new recruits along the way, some druid heals and utility, and Robzombie(YOU) keeping morale high with top hits like Highway to Hell and Living Dead Girl, you can take on the world.
Bonus if your this a Death cleric and your druid goes Twilight.

You're dad can be a Valor Bard or some such or the knights drummers. Keep the Cadence my son, never let the beat die and you can win a war.

This is like the coolest party comp ever!

I'm personally a fan of Paladins, and could work out if you just start as a fallen paladin. Once your real dad showed up you ventured away from the families faith and role and now follow a darker god.

Maybe throw a level or two of warlock for some more smites, and a better link to the evil. Gives you a bump to the necro, and some cool inter conflict with the other paladin. You don't have to be all out murder and burn the world evil, just differing goals leading to inner cinflict. You could both spend tines trying to sway the others beliefs.

Azreal
2017-04-15, 12:12 PM
Is UA allowed?

UA is allowed but anything too strong may be denied or nerfed within reason.