PDA

View Full Version : unarmed strike

de-trick
2007-07-29, 12:19 AM
When fighting with improved unarmed strike can you say give a punch then a kick or just 2 punches in one round

Dhavaer
2007-07-29, 12:25 AM
You can make an unarmed strike with any part of your body.

MrNexx
2007-07-29, 12:37 AM
When fighting with improved unarmed strike can you say give a punch then a kick or just 2 punches in one round

You can headbutt, knee, or pelvic thrust for your attacks; it will still do the same damage.

de-trick
2007-07-29, 12:43 AM
I know that but I meant in round one for a 8 level monk first attack would be a punch then kick for second attack

the_tick_rules
2007-07-29, 12:43 AM
any part of the body you wanna hit em with.

Iudex Fatarum
2007-07-29, 12:45 AM
If you have both attack actions then yes. If your a monk then you can do this at first level. It never says anything abou the whole striking with any part of the body in the Improved Unarmed strike feat, but it does in monk's expoinding of the feat.
"A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes." just to quote the SRD.

de-trick
2007-07-29, 01:25 AM
sweet I never knew that I thought it was like any other weapon you have a primary and offhand, but thats cool. I thought I was wrong because I know what kind of person fights with only his one fist

Tokiko Mima
2007-07-29, 01:37 AM
The cool part being that you can wield a sword or have a scroll or a potion in your hands, and still make unarmed strikes. It's great if you want to have your monk start using Reach weapons (Glaive, longspear, ranseur, etc.), because you still threaten the area 5' around you, even though you have both hands full with a weapon that doesn't threaten adjacent squares. :smallsmile:

Zincorium
2007-07-29, 01:57 AM
sweet I never knew that I thought it was like any other weapon you have a primary and offhand, but thats cool. I thought I was wrong because I know what kind of person fights with only his one fist

Well, if you're good enough with that one hand to end the fight...j/k

'Offhand' is an abstraction in D&D. While it usually refers to your non-dominant hand, it can also refer to unarmed strikes or an attack with spiked armor alongside another attack (even 2-handed weapons). Whether monks can use an unarmed strike as an off hand attack (via two weapon fighting) is questionable because of the way it's worded, but is supported by the FAQ that wizard's puts out.

The thing to remember is that it is a mechanic. Just because monks can technically make an attack with 18+ parts of their body doesn't mean they can get an attack for each one in a round just because those various attacks are all possible (flurry somewhat models this). Nor does wielding two weapons and wearing armor spikes as well as kicking someone entitle you to more than the standard two attacks. You specifically get one offhand attack, with specific penalties depending on the circumstances, until you get the feats improved and greater two weapon fighting.

Wondering why it is that way is about as productive as wondering why in monopoly one person may pay property tax six times whereas another never does, when in real life everyone pays it at the same time. Game mechanics are there to facilitate the game, D&D is no different there.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-29, 02:54 AM
Wait... it works with ANY part of your body?

:smallamused:

PENIS STRIKE!!!!!!!!

Roderick_BR
2007-07-29, 02:56 AM

PENIS STRIKE!!!!!!!!

It would be wise to hit with something that would cripple you less...

Chineselegolas
2007-07-29, 03:31 AM

PENIS STRIKE!!!!!!!!

Monk unarmed strike (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2279550&postcount=1188)

Tokiko Mima
2007-07-29, 03:32 AM
Hmm... Wouldn't that open you up to people asking why a 'Medium' sized creature is wielding weapons far too small for a 'Diminutive' creature?

ForzaFiori
2007-07-29, 03:44 AM

PENIS STRIKE!!!!!!!!

its called a **** Slap.

use proper terminology, lol.

Isomenes
2007-07-29, 10:52 PM
You can headbutt, knee, or pelvic thrust for your attacks; it will still do the same damage.

This. (And, to boot, it'll drive 'em insayay-yayayane.)

Thanks for burning that image into my mind. I shall have to work this into my next campaign as an NPC.

Person_Man
2007-07-30, 10:57 AM
FYI, unless you're a Monk, you can't use Unarmed Stikes while your hands are full. This prevents non-Monks from using Unarmed Strike and Claw attacks as part of the same attack routine. So while you're free to describe it as anything you want (kick, head butt, etc), you need at least one free hand to make an unarmed strike.