PDA

View Full Version : Improving Handy Haversacks

AOKost
2017-04-13, 09:50 AM
I've always been a little frustrated that (Hewards) Handy Haversacks never had any improvements. I always felt they were a cheaper, yet better version of Bags of Holding, even if they had more limited space. The ability to pull any specific item out virtually at will is of amazing benefit that most don't take advantage of often enough!

Yet, there really isn't any improvement on the Haversack. You have a belt of extradimentional pouches, bags of holding 1 - 4, and a portable hole...

I feel that the Haversack could benefit from an overhaul if you will. Something similar to making a version 1 - 5, increasing the number of pouches on the outside and their capacities as well as the main bag, and the 5th version each pouch is its own Portable Hole. Each version should retain the ability to pull any specific item out at will.

Thoughts and ideas on pricing?

EvulOne
2017-04-13, 10:05 AM
Personally I don't think it needs improving. Most characters that have it, use it for it's ability to grab what you needed right away and don't necessarily need to carry more stuff. If you want to increase it's carrying capacity, just get a bag of holding. Most moderate to high level adventures will already have party members with both.

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-13, 10:19 AM
I don't think there's really a need for one.

You use your Haversack for items you use in battle (most of which are pretty small/light), you use your Efficient Quiver for staves/wands/rods and you use a Bag of Holding/Portable Hole to carry loot that you don't need quick access to.
It works fine. The options are already there. Even if the normal Haversack is too small for your immediate access needs the Belt of Many Pockets offers 640lb of capacity. That's enough for anyone.

AOKost
2017-04-13, 11:27 AM
There might not necessarily be a need for an improved version, but I see little reason why someone wouldn't want to improve upon the concept. A Belt of Many Pouches is very nice, but they are rather small and limited in what they can carry, even if it has a decent weight limit.

Uncle Pine
2017-04-13, 01:31 PM
Combine its properties with those of a glove of the master strategy (Ghostwalk) as per DMG/MIC: enjoy shrinking and easy access to a bazillion truckloads of stuff.

Or do the same with a clockwork steed (MMIII iirc) for a moving haversack... Just be careful it doesn't run away. :smallbiggrin:

AOKost
2017-04-13, 04:12 PM
I actually love the idea of combining improved versions of the Haversack with the shrinking property of the gloves! It just makes sense!

A self propelled version of it is an interesting idea, but I somehow doubt that it would work that well... Where you could use a Tensers Floating Disk to put a Bag of Holding or such on and make it follow you, a Clockwork Steed has a few problems... One could have an animated chest that could float that has similar properties to a Haversack but I somehow feel it would need special rules to allow someone to freely pull out anything within... maybe it would be connected to a pair of gloves or some such... Something intriguing to ponder!

Uncle Pine
2017-04-13, 04:38 PM
I actually love the idea of combining improved versions of the Haversack with the shrinking property of the gloves! It just makes sense!

A self propelled version of it is an interesting idea, but I somehow doubt that it would work that well... Where you could use a Tensers Floating Disk to put a Bag of Holding or such on and make it follow you, a Clockwork Steed has a few problems... One could have an animated chest that could float that has similar properties to a Haversack but I somehow feel it would need special rules to allow someone to freely pull out anything within... maybe it would be connected to a pair of gloves or some such... Something intriguing to ponder!

The moving chest can be done with one of the homunculi from Magic of Eberron: the packmate is a big chest that follows you handing potions and other stuff as needed. The reason why I thought about the clockwork steed instead of it is that clockwork steeds are more "items" than packmates, given that you can just go out and probably find one on sale because it doesn't deal 2d10 backslash damage to the one who sold it to you when it dies.