PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 pistol combat

j!nx
2017-04-13, 11:07 AM
I am currently playing a new campaign were there are cannons, pistols, rifles etc. the new age of gunpowder where is not to uncommon to see the city watch with crossbows and a pistol or rifle, anyway I wanted to go with TWF ranger were I could use a pistol in one hand and a short sword in the other , now I know reloading the firearm is a 2 handed action but dropping the pistol and grabbing another from the belt is not (jack sparrow move), my question is how exactly would the pistol work in melee combat is it practical or am I going to take to many minus where its not worth it, I have the vision in my mind just don't how it would actually stack up on paper, anybody do this before or have seen this, how would it work, I haven't talk to DM yet because like I said its a vision in my mind didn't want to bring something up not worth mentioning

Necroticplague
2017-04-13, 11:14 AM
If you're willing to bring in PF combat, there's a one-level dip that is designed for that exact combat style, and solves most the problems associated with it. Privateer Warlord, trading one of your Gambits for Sea Combat. Let's you reload with a weapon in your other hand, makes the pistol count as light (instead of one-handed), gets rid of the AoOs associated with firing and reloading, and get's you a stat to damage with the pistol.

j!nx
2017-04-13, 11:31 AM
what is PF combat and ive never heard of that class

noob
2017-04-13, 11:38 AM
It would be double third party: pathfinder content is third party for 3.5(since it is not made by wotc) and warlord is a homebrew for pathfinder(made by Adamant Entertainment)
So it is everything but 3.5.

Sorry made a mistake there is multiple warlords one being homebrew for pathfinder and on pfsrd and one which is in path of war.

j!nx
2017-04-13, 11:39 AM
this is a 3.0 setting with 3.5 material so I know that wouldn't go..

WeaselGuy
2017-04-13, 01:11 PM
Look at Versatile Combatant, from Drow of the Underdark.
Requires Dex 15, and proficiency with both the Rapier and the Hand Crossbow.
Benefit: When armed with both a rapier and a hand crossbow, gain the benefit of the two-weapon fighting feat. you also do not provoke AoO's from adjacent opponents when you make ranged attacks with the hand crossbow.
Combine that with Hand Crossbow Focus, also from DotU.
Requires proficiency with the Hand Crossbow, and BAB +1.
Benefit: You can reload the Hand Crossbow as a free action, and get +1 bonus on attack rolls with the hand crossbow. Doesn't stack with Weapon Focus, but is the equivalent thereof for all purposes, including feat prereq's.
Talk to your DM about replacing Hand Crossbow with Pistol.
Both of these are Fighter bonus feats too, for what it's worth.
Realistically, I'd go Human Rogue 1 (taking Craven and Versatile Combatant)/Hit and Run Tactics Fighter 1 (Hand Crossbow Focus)/Swashbuckler 1 (Weapon Finesse as a class feature, Point Blank Shot as your level 3 feat)/Rogue +2/Swashbuckler +15 (take Daring Outlaw @ level 6). You have 19 BAB and 10d6+20 sneak attack damage, along with evasion, +2 initiative, and dex to damage vs flat-footed opponents. Swap out Trap Sense at Rog3 for Penetrating Strike to deal half damage to creatures that would normally be immune to sneak attacks too.

This is also, in my mind at least, much fluffier than a Ranger, with regards to using a sword and gun.

denthor
2017-04-13, 01:15 PM
years ago I read that the bullets can cause damage after the fact 25% chance per round 1d6 per time if extra damage does not occur consider bullet stopped.

Was based on fighter basic attack bonus

hope this is helpful

j!nx
2017-04-13, 02:09 PM
DM accepted your idea of replacing the hand crossbow, too late on the remake no reroll character has already been made and played I am a halfdrow ranger 1.. hopefully the character is still good enough to come to that or at least come close I just wanted to play TWF character since I never have and this would be playing my first campaign were there is common fire arms usually they would be rare or non existent in previous campaigns in my life so I was trying to put 2 new things in 1 character, I still don't have any fire arms yet since they are illegal unless you have a fire arm license, (urban campaign)

WeaselGuy
2017-04-13, 02:26 PM
DM accepted your idea of replacing the hand crossbow, too late on the remake no reroll character has already been made and played I am a halfdrow ranger 1.. hopefully the character is still good enough to come to that or at least come close I just wanted to play TWF character since I never have and this would be playing my first campaign were there is common fire arms usually they would be rare or non existent in previous campaigns in my life so I was trying to put 2 new things in 1 character, I still don't have any fire arms yet since they are illegal unless you have a fire arm license, (urban campaign)

Since it's an Urban campaign, try taking the Urban Ranger ACF's. You can still pull off the majority of shenanigans I listed, but you'll lose out on that precision bonus damage, unless you multiclassed into Scout for Swift Hunter. Would look something like Ranger 1/Scout 3/Ranger +16. Still 19 BAB, great skill selections. For feats, I'd look at Darkstalker, obviously Hand Crossbow Focus and Versatile Combatant, Crossbow Sniper for 1/2 Dex to skirmish damage, and Weapon Finesse would probably do you good, since you're most likely Dexterity based. Improved Skirmish would be a good one for you too, if you can manage the 40' move speed. You have 2 more feats to work with here, maybe 3 if you take a level of Hit and Run Tactics Fighter, maybe at level 2, but probably better at level 7.