PDA

View Full Version : Can a non Warlock character use Devil's Sight?

Eemerald
2017-04-13, 12:05 PM
Hi, I'm brand new to role playing and I'm trying to create a some characters to play. One character (a human monk) had her family killed by creatures of the Under Dark. So it makes sense to me that she would want some kind of dark vision to hunt these creatures. So could she make some kind of pact with a demon power to be granted Devil's Sight? What would a demon expect in return for that kind of boon? Sorry if this seems weird I love the idea of rping and creating a story for my character

MintyNinja
2017-04-13, 01:58 PM
If you're bent on getting Devil's Sight specifically, then rules-wise the only way is to take two levels of Warlock. The Warlock class is meant to signify such a pact and the Invocations and Spells and Boons are meant to be rewards or tools granted by the Patron.

If, and only if, your GM is willing to work on something homebrew for this, then I would liken it somewhat to the Shinigami Eyes of Death Note. Gain the eyesight of a Shinigami for half of your lifespan. In D&D 5e, I would liken this to gaining Devil's Sight at some great expense. Perhaps her immortal soul, the live sacrifice of an innocent every 30 days, or assistance in helping overthrow a just and righteous religious order. Or perhaps all three if she's a bad negotiator.

Yora
2017-04-13, 02:17 PM
What game are you playing?

KillianHawkeye
2017-04-13, 03:25 PM
Just a thought, but you might get further asking a devil rather than a demon.......

icefractal
2017-04-13, 06:07 PM
IIRC, there's an eye graft that gives you the sight (full sight in darkness) of a Devil. I think it might turn you evil over time, however.

Joe the Rat
2017-04-14, 08:03 AM
There's a spell that gives you darkvision, called (oddly enough) darkvision. It's not a permanent solution, but it will let you see in nonmagical darkness.

D&D 3.5, there's a variety of mechanical means to acquire it, or just get a few levels of spellcasting.

D&D 5e, the Way of Shadow Monk archetype (which you can select at level 3) has darkvision as one of its casting options. Having loved ones taken by something from darkness, then focusing your studies on the ways to master darkness seems like a rich line to explore. Walking the line between fighting the monsters in the dark, and potentially becoming a monster in the dark.