PDA

View Full Version : creating custom magic items / cost

Thac0 Redeye
2017-04-13, 01:12 PM
I have used the cost chart in the DMG for creating custom items utilizing magic spells, but is there a formula to utilize feats?

Keral
2017-04-13, 01:26 PM
Not sure if it helps, but somewhere (I think complete scoundrel? adventurer?) there are places where you get a feat for free. I don't recall all the details, but it implies that a feat like Iron will equals 3k gp in reward.

Venger
2017-04-13, 01:27 PM
I have used the cost chart in the DMG for creating custom items utilizing magic spells, but is there a formula to utilize feats?

what are you asking? are you asking what the formula is to mimic a feat, such as the gloves of the balanced hand or armor of mobility? the answer is no, but look to those for a rough idea of how much they should cost, and what feat you're planning to key into the item.

Not sure if it helps, but somewhere (I think complete scoundrel? adventurer?) there are places where you get a feat for free. I don't recall all the details, but it implies that a feat like Iron will equals 3k gp in reward.

that's definitely germane. you're referring to the otyugh hole on p152 of complete scoundrel.

these places are known as legendary sites. it's not exactly the same as buying an item. in theory, what you're supposed to do is treat them as treasure, so instead of getting a magic item in a loot drop, your guy can go to the otyugh hole.

in practice, if you're starting a character above level 1, there's no issue saying he went to the otyugh hole during his past career as long as wbl allows it.

the 3k cost should definitely only be used for stinky feat taxes like iron will, though. don't make an item full of metamagic feats or what have you.

ViperMagnum357
2017-04-13, 02:39 PM
If you want to replicate feats on an item, there are some rough guidelines in the Arms and Equipment guide, page 128.

A specific price can be extrapolated if the feat can be replicated by an extant effect like iron will for saves, with a premium for the economics to disincline feat replication in place of extant effects. The example given is 2,000 GP for Iron Will or Great Fortitude, compared to 4,000 GP for a cloak of resistance +2.
Market price is 10,000 GP per feat, plus 5,000-10,000 per prerequisite, even if you already meet the prereqs. Metamagic feats adjust spell levels an additonal +1 when modifying spell levels 0-3, +2 at spell levels 4-6, and +3 at levels 7-9; So metamagic feats are never worth it.

Venger
2017-04-13, 03:30 PM
If you want to replicate feats on an item, there are some rough guidelines in the Arms and Equipment guide, page 128.

A specific price can be extrapolated if the feat can be replicated by an extant effect like iron will for saves, with a premium for the economics to disincline feat replication in place of extant effects. The example given is 2,000 GP for Iron Will or Great Fortitude, compared to 4,000 GP for a cloak of resistance +2.
Market price is 10,000 GP per feat, plus 5,000-10,000 per prerequisite, even if you already meet the prereqs. Metamagic feats adjust spell levels an additonal +1 when modifying spell levels 0-3, +2 at spell levels 4-6, and +3 at levels 7-9; So metamagic feats are never worth it.

Good point, since otyugh hole doesn't occupy one of your slots like an item of iron will would.

anyone halfway competent with metamagic doesn't pay for anything anyway, so that isn't an effective deterrent. don't allow metamagic feats to be put into items like this at all, it's a power boost to characters who don't need it, and they already have metamagic rods.

Thac0 Redeye
2017-04-13, 04:12 PM
what are you asking? are you asking what the formula is to mimic a feat, such as the gloves of the balanced hand or armor of mobility? the answer is no, but look to those for a rough idea of how much they should cost, and what feat you're planning to key into the item.

This is exactly what I'm asking. I have a barbarian/warhulk. the warhulk PrC does not ever give any advancement to BAB so I cannot qualify for the feat I'm looking at. I want 2 weapon rend. it requires a BAB of 11 and I only have 6. and want to continue in WH until it is finished. so I wont get to BAB 11 until I am at least level 23. (+2LA)
Hence the item.

ViperMagnum357
2017-04-13, 05:51 PM
For two weapon rend, that is 4 prereqs: so 30,000 to 50,000 GP for a custom item occupying a slot, or quite a bit more for a combo or slotless item. That is a pretty ugly investment even if you are ready to give up a slot and you can lowball your DM on the basis of actually playing a WarHulk. Are you looking for that feat specifically, or just a damage boost in general?

Thac0 Redeye
2017-04-13, 07:48 PM
For two weapon rend, that is 4 prereqs: so 30,000 to 50,000 GP for a custom item occupying a slot, or quite a bit more for a combo or slotless item. That is a pretty ugly investment even if you are ready to give up a slot and you can lowball your DM on the basis of actually playing a WarHulk. Are you looking for that feat specifically, or just a damage boost in general?

that feat or damage boost? both or either. and my DM usually hates my chara's. I am the extreme min/max player. I usually find insane feat spell chara weapon combos. Some of what I build is what I find on these forums. I actually played a combat cleric using DMM persist and night sticks. at first he thought it was a creative build but quickly got tired of my over powered build. now he moans and groans whenever I bring up that chara. so trying to lowball him for pricing is not going to happen. and if I go to him for pricing with no backup ideas (what im trying to get here) he will price it so high that it is not reasonable to buy. when I complain he shrugs and say "too bad"
so any other ideas to add extra damage to my TWF barb would be great

Venger
2017-04-13, 07:49 PM
This is exactly what I'm asking. I have a barbarian/warhulk. the warhulk PrC does not ever give any advancement to BAB so I cannot qualify for the feat I'm looking at. I want 2 weapon rend. it requires a BAB of 11 and I only have 6. and want to continue in WH until it is finished. so I wont get to BAB 11 until I am at least level 23. (+2LA)
Hence the item.

oh, that's you too. in the future, when you have several questions on one character/topic, I've found you get responses more quickly when you consolidate them to one thread.

you could either buy the skillful property for your weapon, as most war hulks do, which allows you to act as though you have average BA, which would allow you to take the feat at level 15

or after you have a level in war hulk you could switch over to legacy champion instead and progress war hulk's features while also getting an average base attack and all your class features (plus some skills) and some legacy weapon junk.

Thac0 Redeye
2017-04-13, 10:10 PM
oh, that's you too. in the future, when you have several questions on one character/topic, I've found you get responses more quickly when you consolidate them to one thread.

you could either buy the skillful property for your weapon, as most war hulks do, which allows you to act as though you have average BA, which would allow you to take the feat at level 15

or after you have a level in war hulk you could switch over to legacy champion instead and progress war hulk's features while also getting an average base attack and all your class features (plus some skills) and some legacy weapon junk.

Ok good advice. what books are skillful property and legacy champ in?

Venger
2017-04-13, 10:13 PM
Ok good advice. what books are skillful property and legacy champ in?

skillful is on p144 of complete arcane. legacy champion is in weapons of legacy