PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Damage

Jorgo
2017-04-13, 02:22 PM
Are all the weapon damage types equal, i.e. is a slashing weapon as good as an otherwise identical bludgeoning weapon?

nickl_2000
2017-04-13, 02:23 PM
Are all the weapon damage types equal, i.e. is a slashing weapon as good as an otherwise identical bludgeoning weapon?

In general yes. The only difference is resistances, which end up evening out in the end.

MrStabby
2017-04-13, 02:59 PM
I think bludgeoning has a slight edge due to vulnerabilities from things like skelletons although you can't sneak attack with a bludgeoning weapon (which I guess balances out against each other somewhat).

Lord Il Palazzo
2017-04-13, 03:11 PM
I think bludgeoning has a slight edge due to vulnerabilities from things like skelletons although you can't sneak attack with a bludgeoning weapon (which I guess balances out against each other somewhat).This is mostly true, though there's one exception. Sneak attack requires a ranged or finesse weapon and there is a ranged bludgeoning weapon: the sling.

As for immunities, resistances and such, according to this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?379165-MM-Resistances-Immunities-Vulnerabilities-and-Damage), there are more monsters in the Monster Manual that are resistant to bludgeoning than slashing (8 vs. 6) though none are immune (2 are to slashing) and there are also some vulnerable to it (4 vs. 0 for slashing). Overall, I think you're right that bludgeoning is a little bit better than slashing, but both are better than piercing (10 resistant, 0 immune, 0 vulnerable).

In the long run, I don't think it will really matter often enough to be outside the realm of personal preference. My characters usually end up carrying at least two different damage types to be safe (a melee bludgeoning or slashing weapon and a bow or some javelins for a ranged option pretty much covers it without much hoop-jumping) I haven't really had it come up much.

CaptainSarathai
2017-04-13, 03:15 PM
Bludgeoning does have a small edge with damage Resistances and Vulnerabilities taken into account. Then I think it's Slashing next, and Piercing is slightly behind.

Usually though, it's just down to whatever type of weapon you think is more fitting to your character.