PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Sorcerous Origin: Giant Bloodline

DeAnno
2017-04-13, 07:15 PM
So this was something that started when I noticed Widen Spell wasn't a thing anymore in this edition, and then instead of making a metamagic option like a reasonable person I made an archetype instead (Curse Wizards and all their overpowered UA archetypes, stealing Sorc's spotlight). I've experimented with a different type of damage boost here too (one that's easier to predict, from a balance standpoint, and doesn't multiclass as well.) Lastly, for those keeping close track, Sorcerers don't have very many Strength saves in core at all (just Gust of Wind, I think) but there are a couple interesting ones in Elemental Evil.

Giant Bloodline
The blood of giants flows in your veins, granting you a measure of their magic and their power. You might be descended from any kind of Giant, or even multiple different kinds at once. Sorcerers with giant heritage are often taller or more heavily built than is usual for their race, but despite the advantages this might hold for more physical pursuits they still choose to follow the lure of magic.

Such sorcerers often find employ on large battlefields, where the awesome scale of their magic can be employed to best effect. While their commanders might hope they stay securely on the back lines, the giantblooded's lust for battle often draws them forward into the fray.

Powerful Body:
Your giant blood gives you great physical strength in addition to magical potency. You gain proficiency in the Athletics skill and your carrying capacity is doubled. In addition, you can speak, read, and write Giant.

Powerful Magic:
Your magic is naturally inclined towards violence. When you cast a spell that deals damage, add one fourth your Sorcerer level (rounded down, minimum 1) to that damage.

Widened Spells:
Starting at 6th level, when you cast a spell that mentions any distances greater than 5 feet anywhere in the spell description (such as for range or area), add 10 feet to all of them. Apply this change before applying any other effects, such as Distant Spell metamagic.

Greater Powerful Body:
At level 14, your body becomes even more like that of your giant ancestors. You gain proficiency on Strength saving throws, and advantage on all Strength checks.

Greater Powerful Magic:
Also at 14th level, your magic becomes physically stronger as well. Targets of your spells have disadvantage on Strength saving throws made against your spells.

Giant Size:
At level 18, you can grow to Giant size to terrorize your enemies. As a bonus action, you can spend 5 Sorcery points to increase your size to Huge for 1 minute. When you use this ability, gain 30 temporary hit points. Additionally, while Huge, your Strength score is increased by 6, and your natural reach is increased to 10 feet. Lastly, your Widened Spells feature adds 20 feet to all applicable distances instead of 10 feet.

Skillasaurus
2017-04-18, 04:30 PM
I really like this.
It doesnt seem broken at all. Was comparing it to the two origins in the PHB and it seems about even power wise.
Nothing crazy insightful to say here, except good job! (Stealing this for a one shot ;))

DeAnno
2017-04-19, 01:00 AM
It's cool that you liked it! If you end up using it, maybe come back and say how it went.