PDA

View Full Version : A test for a gunslinger?

Sajiri
2017-04-14, 03:51 AM
My latest campaign I am trying out as the DM has a good part of it set in a virtual world, think like a MMO game but much more realistic (virtual reality).

Gaining or unlocking classes means needing to take a test or trial, and my player has decided he wants to be a gunslinger. This is a homebrew setting and I try to work the abilities or features towards what the player wants to do, so specific rules arent important (this is mostly roleplay focused rather than dice rolling). My problem is, I'm having trouble coming up with some interesting ideas on what a test could be to unlock a gunslinger class.

The player wants to focus on using rifles and maybe bombs, beyond hitting some targets (boring) or hunting something (he has already had a quest like this with bows instead, I dont want to repeat it), I'm not sure how to handle it. I forget what I originally expected, but I hadnt expected he would decide to be a gunslinger, so I'm perhaps as not prepared as I could have been. Does anyone have any ideas for what could work as a decent trial/quest to unlock a gun using class in a virtual world/game?

Cozzer
2017-04-14, 03:58 AM
Learning to build/mantain his own gun, or at least bullets? It could involve learning where the materials can be found, how to spot these materials, and so on. Maybe the test could be to defeat a monster, starting only with an empty gun and having to craft bullets on the way.

Dappershire
2017-04-14, 04:13 AM
My latest campaign I am trying out as the DM has a good part of it set in a virtual world, think like a MMO game but much more realistic (virtual reality).

Gaining or unlocking classes means needing to take a test or trial, and my player has decided he wants to be a gunslinger. This is a homebrew setting and I try to work the abilities or features towards what the player wants to do, so specific rules arent important (this is mostly roleplay focused rather than dice rolling). My problem is, I'm having trouble coming up with some interesting ideas on what a test could be to unlock a gunslinger class.

The player wants to focus on using rifles and maybe bombs, beyond hitting some targets (boring) or hunting something (he has already had a quest like this with bows instead, I dont want to repeat it), I'm not sure how to handle it. I forget what I originally expected, but I hadnt expected he would decide to be a gunslinger, so I'm perhaps as not prepared as I could have been. Does anyone have any ideas for what could work as a decent trial/quest to unlock a gun using class in a virtual world/game?

Assassination quest. He is given a special rifle that deals massive threat, but no damage. And whatever entity or program gives out quests, randomly picks another player that is a higher (perhaps much higher, thus introducing a powerful npc for the game) level than the pc. His mission is to "tag" this higher level player with the Quest rifle. Think laser sighting. Something the "enemy" player isn't expecting, but being higher level, is more than capable of trying to avoid. Especially if PvP exists.

Horde quest. I dunno what sort of world you have (I'm kinda assuming the first and third worlds in Sword art Online for this) but most games have the mass groups of low lvl monsters. Seeing as he isn't all that good at close range (Unless he wants to get hit with his own bomb damage), force him into a quest where he draws the mobs to frenzy attack him. He has to find ways to create distance between him and his attackers. Set explosive traps perhaps. Find ways to escape melee. Maybe, in a tiwst, sort of railroad him into a final stand, explosives in melee range. Knocked to 1 hp, but quest completed.

For laughs, sit him through a Gun Safety "brief". Taught by whatever class trainer type your world has, just an hour (or more) of death by chalk board (sound effects are a plus) concerning the safety rules for handling a gun: Treat every weapon as if it were loaded. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire. Never point your weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
Find ways to reiterate, repeat, and ad nauseam those 4 rules, until the player wants to crit his own skull. Make the player write them down 100 times!

I suggest all three (or more), but one will do if you don't want to spend too much time on it.

Sajiri
2017-04-14, 04:21 AM
Learning to build/mantain his own gun, or at least bullets? It could involve learning where the materials can be found, how to spot these materials, and so on. Maybe the test could be to defeat a monster, starting only with an empty gun and having to craft bullets on the way.

I like this, but bullets are made by a seperate profession. But I suppose a gunner should know how to make basic ammunition now that I think of it.

Assassination quest. He is given a special rifle that deals massive threat, but no damage. And whatever entity or program gives out quests, randomly picks another player that is a higher (perhaps much higher, thus introducing a powerful npc for the game) level than the pc. His mission is to "tag" this higher level player with the Quest rifle. Think laser sighting. Something the "enemy" player isn't expecting, but being higher level, is more than capable of trying to avoid. Especially if PvP exists.

Horde quest. I dunno what sort of world you have (I'm kinda assuming the first and third worlds in Sword art Online for this) but most games have the mass groups of low lvl monsters. Seeing as he isn't all that good at close range (Unless he wants to get hit with his own bomb damage), force him into a quest where he draws the mobs to frenzy attack him. He has to find ways to create distance between him and his attackers. Set explosive traps perhaps. Find ways to escape melee. Maybe, in a tiwst, sort of railroad him into a final stand, explosives in melee range. Knocked to 1 hp, but quest completed.

For laughs, sit him through a Gun Safety "brief". Taught by whatever class trainer type your world has, just an hour (or more) of death by chalk board (sound effects are a plus) concerning the safety rules for handling a gun: Treat every weapon as if it were loaded. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire. Never point your weapon at anything you don't intend to shoot. Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
Find ways to reiterate, repeat, and ad nauseam those 4 rules, until the player wants to crit his own skull. Make the player write them down 100 times!

I suggest all three (or more), but one will do if you don't want to spend too much time on it.

The assasination idea is funny because the player has also expressed he would like to get into the 'pvp' and bounty hunting aspects in the virtual world. Having it as a random quest and to just tag a much higher player might be a good idea.

Also, I will definitely go with that gun safety brief :smallbiggrin:

Shinn
2017-04-14, 07:47 AM
I don't know your world, but maybe a western-ish story would fit :
The player's going somewhere in a cab with some precious treasures (datas ?) until it's attacked ; then, after interrogations the bandits, the player learns that the next bridge's trapped with explosives, and thus they need to disarm them while keeping the bandits at distance of them, thanks to their rifle, and in enough time for letting the cab pass the bridge without being blown up.

Plus I definitely second the safety brief.

Chimmon
2017-04-14, 08:29 AM
A showdown at high-noon could be a nice quest capstone. Have the parts leading up to it involve actually constructing/finding a gun and ammo. Then to unlock the class, they have to win a fight against a NPC gunslinger. This could be a real fight, or a more thematic shoot first, quickdraw sort of affair.

(And since it's only available at noon, the consequences of failure could lead to in-game waiting, especially if a rival is also trying to complete the quest.)

Jay R
2017-04-15, 12:21 PM
The traditional test for a gunslinger is a shootout.

King Phillip III: We consider Don Lorca the greatest living fencer in Spain.
Don Juan: That's certainly the mark of a good duelist, Your Majesty - to be living.

-- The Adventures of Don Juan, 1948

Slipperychicken
2017-04-15, 01:12 PM
How about using firearms to protect innocents, like in the Magnificent Seven? Call it a test of grit and courage, but also a really tough town-defense mission that demands clever use of firearms and gunpowder.

Grod_The_Giant
2017-04-16, 09:19 PM
A showdown at high-noon could be a nice quest capstone. Have the parts leading up to it involve actually constructing/finding a gun and ammo. Then to unlock the class, they have to win a fight against a NPC gunslinger. This could be a real fight, or a more thematic shoot first, quickdraw sort of affair.

(And since it's only available at noon, the consequences of failure could lead to in-game waiting, especially if a rival is also trying to complete the quest.)
I second this. Heck, I think the high noon showdown is the ONLY acceptable option here.