PDA

View Full Version : Contemplative and Planar Domains? (Also - Planar Touchstone and Planar Domains)

schreier
2017-04-14, 09:32 AM
Can a contemplative take a planar domain as a "bonus domain?"

The contemplative special ability says:
"...a character gains access to a bonus domain of her choice. The character can choose any domain made available by her deity or alignment. The character gains the granted power associated with the domain she chooses, and can select the spells in that domain as her bonus daily domain spells."

The planar domains section in the Spell Compendium says:
"A planar domain counts as both of a cleric’s domain choices. The granted powers of a planar domain are more potent than those of other domains, and each level offers two spells from which a cleric can choose when preparing spells. Each day, a cleric with access to a planar domain chooses one of the two spells available to prepare in his domain spell slot for each spell level. Unlike other domains, planar domains each have an alignment requirement that must be met by a cleric who wants to access
the domain."

So ... the planar domain is a domain, and the contemplative feature says "any domain made available by her deity or alignment" ...

To me, it seems like the contemplative should be able to take the planar domain but I wanted to solicit a second opinion.

On a related question - can the Planar Touchstone - Catalogues of Enlightenment grant a planar domain ability? It says "Choose a cleric domain; you gain the granted power of that domain" -- this is a cleric domain, so it seems like it. This ability doesn't even have a deity/alignment restriction, so I wonder if you could get a planar domain of a differing alignment.

Thanks
schreier

Venger
2017-04-14, 01:27 PM
Can a contemplative take a planar domain as a "bonus domain?"

The contemplative special ability says:
"...a character gains access to a bonus domain of her choice. The character can choose any domain made available by her deity or alignment. The character gains the granted power associated with the domain she chooses, and can select the spells in that domain as her bonus daily domain spells."

The planar domains section in the Spell Compendium says:
"A planar domain counts as both of a cleric’s domain choices. The granted powers of a planar domain are more potent than those of other domains, and each level offers two spells from which a cleric can choose when preparing spells. Each day, a cleric with access to a planar domain chooses one of the two spells available to prepare in his domain spell slot for each spell level. Unlike other domains, planar domains each have an alignment requirement that must be met by a cleric who wants to access
the domain."

So ... the planar domain is a domain, and the contemplative feature says "any domain made available by her deity or alignment" ...

To me, it seems like the contemplative should be able to take the planar domain but I wanted to solicit a second opinion.

On a related question - can the Planar Touchstone - Catalogues of Enlightenment grant a planar domain ability? It says "Choose a cleric domain; you gain the granted power of that domain" -- this is a cleric domain, so it seems like it. This ability doesn't even have a deity/alignment restriction, so I wonder if you could get a planar domain of a differing alignment.

Thanks
schreier
the rules are very clear that a planar domain effectively counts as 2, because it's 2 domains.

if your contemplative player wants to do this, I would say either:

1: "You can do this at level 1 if your build incorporates at least 6 levels of contemplative, so you don't just dip it at 1 and then leave, effectively getting an extra domain"

2: "Ok. But since it counts as 2, you won't get it til you can have had 2 bonus domains, so you can pick a planar domain at level 6"

if you think your player is trustworthy, do 1, if you think they're a bit scummy, do 2.

the RAW answer for catalogs of enlightenment is yes, but I would talk to your gm, since you're essentially getting double the amount of powers you should.

ATHATH
2017-04-14, 01:37 PM
From what I've heard, the Planar Domains count as Domains, but not Cleric Domains. Thus, a Contemplative should be able to pick one up, but the Catalogues of Enlightenment can't grant you the Domain Ability of one.