PDA

View Full Version : "Bringer of the Black Sky" Strength based bow

JMAP94
2017-04-14, 10:01 AM
I was playing around with a strength based bow idea. I know there's the homebrew one (Holmegaard Bow), and that previous editions had one, but I feel like its just kind of a stat swap (like finesse), and nothing to really give it flavor to make it different from a "Dex based bow". Also, after watching a "Shadiversity" on the subject(does a lot of youtube videos on mideval combat and considering fantasy characters "in the real world), I wanted to have a bow that the orcs in my world, with their greater strength, could take advantage of being able to use larger bows with a much tenser draw strength which could be used at greater distances and hit harder than their human counterparts. So here's the item im brewing right now. keep in mind that this is supposed to be a mundane item.

Bringer of the Black Sky

Lore: The "Bringers of the Black Sky" were a group of female orcs from a clan lost to time. in the ancient traditions of this clan, as with most orc clans, the men acted as warriors while the women acted as hunters and gatherers. Bows were, at this time, seen as too "dishonorable" to be used in combat against other mortals, and only as good hunting tools for women to use. It is said that a plague was released upon their clan by human invaders that infected only males, as they thought it proper to spare the women and children. The humans prepared for a land invasion, believing it to be a relatively bloodless affair. The last thing that they saw was a black sky, covered by arrows. The other nearby clans, who were prepared to take the camp for themselves after the human's success, rode out only to find a pile of arrow filled corpses along with a second eclipse. Soon after, many orc clans changed their policy on bows and on female combatants.

Characteristics:
Requirements- Minumum 17 strength
Stats- Range- 300/1200 (double range of normal longbow)
Damage- 1d10 piercing (considering making it 1d12)

Special-
Heavy
This bow uses your strength modifier to hit and for damage
+2 to hit if your opponent is wearing heavy armor
If you have less than 20 strength, this bow requires a standard and a bonus action to fire. (possible nerf is to up the damage and make it "standard and move action, but idk)

What are your opinions? again i kind of want to workshop this

N810
2017-04-14, 10:16 AM
I rather like it, seems fairly balance too.

Tough I wonder if changing:
"+2 to hit if your opponent is wearing heavy armor "
to
"-2 to your opponents AC if they are wearing armor "
would be more thematic ?

nickl_2000
2017-04-14, 10:22 AM
I rather like it, seems fairly balance too.

Tough I wonder if changing:
"+2 to hit if your opponent is wearing heavy armor "
to
"-2 to your opponents AC if they are wearing armor "
would be more thematic ?

It may be more thematic, but it is certainly more confusing. There are no other weapons that modify the other persons armor class as part of an attack, whereas the modified increase your attack in certain situations is very common

nickl_2000
2017-04-14, 10:25 AM
Special-
Heavy
This bow uses your strength modifier to hit and for damage
+2 to hit if your opponent is wearing heavy armor
If you have less than 20 strength, this bow requires a standard and a bonus action to fire. (possible nerf is to up the damage and make it "standard and move action, but idk)

You could also consider giving it the Loading property when someone has under 20 strength. My reading of that would be, 1) I need to be super strong to pull it back quickly (strength) or 2) the feat, I have special training in using this weapon so I can use it faster.