PDA

View Full Version : Spelljammer question: Elven Imperial Fleet and religion.

Clistenes
2017-04-14, 12:45 PM
I have always wondered... How does the Elven Imperial Fleet behave with regards to those elven cultures who don't worship the Seldarine?

If take a look at the "main three", it seems like the Elven Imperial Fleet keeps contact at least with Evermeet in Abeir-Toril and Celene in Oerth, but as far as I know, the elves of Krynn remain ignorant of Spelljamming and of other Crystal Spheres, despite the amount of traffic that goes through Krynnspace; it seems like the Elven Imperial Fleet have grouped the Kagonesti, Qualinesti and Silvanesti with the other groundlings who shouldn't be aware of spelljamming... Could this be due to their religion? As in, the elves of Krynn as seen as too culturally different to fit?

Also, given that HackMaster has supposedly become less of a parody and more of a serious game on its own right, using Kingdoms of Kalamar as its main setting, and given that HackMaster has its own version of Spelljammer, HackJammer... does anybody know if the elves of Tellene/Aldrazar interact in any significant way with their kin from Wildspace, or are they as ignorant as the other groundlins from Tellene?

Thank you.

Corsair14
2017-04-14, 12:53 PM
I am pretty sure they maintain contact with Krynn elves. I remember reading it somewhere. There is a spelljamming port in Palanthas and one somewhere else so there has to be some knowledge.

Clistenes
2017-04-14, 01:14 PM
I am pretty sure they maintain contact with Krynn elves. I remember reading it somewhere. There is a spelljamming port in Palanthas and one somewhere else so there has to be some knowledge.

I forgot about that mention of Spelljamming vessels visiting Palanthas... In the Cloakmaster Cycle novels, when Teldin Moore visits Palanthas seeking infomation on Spelljamming vessels, he is sent to Mount Nevermind, and in the other Dragonlance novels it doesn't seem like anybody in Palanthas is aware of Spelljamming... as a matter of fact, everybody in Palanthas seem as wary of powerful magic and as unused to it as everybody else in Krynn...

I guess Spelljammer's Krynn and Dragonlance's Krynn aren't exactly the same world...

Lord Torath
2017-04-14, 01:40 PM
As I recall from Hackjammer, there's a cabal of powerful creatures (dragons, mages, etc) in the crystal sphere (except that Hackjammer didn't have Crystal Spheres) that works to prevent ships from landing on the main planet. I'm away from book at the moment, so I can't verify that, though.

I don't recall reading about the Tellene/Aldrazar elves in the Hackjammer book, but it's been over a year since I've read it, and I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the organizations when I went through it anyway. Not because they weren't interesting, but because I'm unfamiliar with Hackmaster's campaign setting.

On Krynn, there's also a port in Mt. Nevermind, and another in Kristophan on Taladas.

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-14, 01:51 PM
Wait, I thought Kyrnn got moved to a different place, cut off from other planes by Takhisis? or is this the wrong edition?

Darth Ultron
2017-04-14, 01:58 PM
As in, the elves of Krynn as seen as too culturally different to fit?

Well, Spelljammer has always had a basic problem with the Campaign settings: How to add Spelljammer to the settings without changing the setting? And the simple answer is: You can't.

You simply can't have a universe of high magic and adventure....full of worlds where people are amazed by fire and think fighting a giant rat is an amazing adventure.

So even in the settings where they are ''aware'' of Spelljamming....they, er, um, just ignore it. And this is true of all races in the setting.

So sure Evermeet is sort of ''aware'' of Spelljamming...and, um, have a couple that they never use as they are so, um, ''secret''...but they are not a spelljamming power. They just shrug and say ''whatever''. The same is true on the other campaign worlds.

Clistenes
2017-04-14, 02:03 PM
Wait, I thought Kyrnn got moved to a different place, cut off from other planes by Takhisis? or is this the wrong edition?

Yes, Thakhisis did that, but Krynn eventually got returned to its rightful place.

Well, Spelljammer has always had a basic problem with the Campaign settings: How to add Spelljammer to the settings without changing the setting? And the simple answer is: You can't.

You simply can't have a universe of high magic and adventure....full of worlds where people are amazed by fire and think fighting a giant rat is an amazing adventure.

So even in the settings where they are ''aware'' of Spelljamming....they, er, um, just ignore it. And this is true of all races in the setting.

So sure Evermeet is sort of ''aware'' of Spelljamming...and, um, have a couple that they never use as they are so, um, ''secret''...but they are not a spelljamming power. They just shrug and say ''whatever''. The same is true on the other campaign worlds.

Well, Evermeet doesn't bother me that much. Spelljammers are like the least powerful of the tools they are sitting on. They have High Magic able to reshape worlds and whole species, they have the means to visit the planes were their gods dwell without much ado, they befriend good dragons and enslave evil dragons. If we can accept that they don't use al that, then we can accept they not using spelljamming vessels.

I guess that's the problem you run into when you give so many wonderful tools and gifts to a race, but you still make medieval-ish-like humans the dominant race in the world...

I have checked and yes, the Spelljamming Campaing Setting book mentions that the Elven Imperial Fleet has contact with the Silvanesti. Which is weird, because the elves of Krynn seem completely unaware of any true gods besided those of Krynn...

I guess the Silvanesti leadership "protected" their subjects from foreign concepts that could challenge their traditions. Like, the Speaker of the Stars knew about other worlds and gods but kept that knowledge from his subjects...

Dappershire
2017-04-15, 02:07 AM
I don't know much about the Elves, but maybe the Silvanesti thought the Empire were poor, deluded souls? Under the influence of some dark God, perhaps? Reason enough to shield the populace from any obvert Spelljamming. Not reason enough to cut off contact.

As for Mt Nevermind, I totally see that. They built their own ship in the canon, with no spelljamming influence, after all. Landed on one of the moons/Gods.