PDA

View Full Version : Speculation Silly concept: Fighter with Low Strength & Dexterity, how would you make it work?

Arkhios
2017-04-14, 06:43 PM
This is just a thought experiment. I don't have such a character, neither in the making nor in play.

Let's say you rolled your stats, and had to keep them in an order which would leave your strength and dexterity at 12 or less before racials. Let's also say that you rolled for your class and got fighter. Let's also say that you had either high intelligence, high wisdom, or high charisma, and that you couldn't multiclass, but feats were ok.

Assuming you couldn't improve your strength or dexterity and you had to live with your obvious defects, but everything else you could choose, including race and archetype. how would you build the character?

For example:

Ghostwise Halfling (+2 dex, +1 wis)
str 10, dex 10, con 14, int 12, wis 16, cha 13
Battle Master
Battle Master Maneuvers: Commander's Strike, Evasive Footwork, Parry, Precise Strike, Rally, ??
Magic Initiate: Druid (shillelagh, magic stone; Goodberry 1/long rest)

Rock Gnome (+2 int, +1 con)
str 8, dex 10, con 16, int 16, wis 12, cha 13
Eldritch Knight
ASI@4th level: +2 intelligence (int 18)
Spells known: Mage Armor, Shield, Magic Missile, Find Familiar, ??
Cantrips: Fire Bolt, Shocking Grasp

JBPuffin
2017-04-14, 06:46 PM
So I realize now I made some serious mistakes with draft 1. Draft 2, which I'm building a model of, is much, MUCH more fun to play from 1st to 20th level.

High Elf Knight of the Order (Arcana-based Order) Eldritch Knight. Simply put - I'm making a heavily-armored low-powered evoker, and let me tell you: it's surprisingly working. The 7 ASIs are a godsend.

Magic Initiate makes this kind of easy...

Eldritch Knight, Archer style, Magic Initiate (Wizard). Eladrin, build my intelligence, keep my distance and pelt with cantrips and arrows.

Edit: Ah, rolling. Funnily, all that would change is which class I'd pick from. I'm not going to roll - this is my plan no matter what, because misty step is usefuls.s kind of easy...

Eldritch Knight, Archer style, Magic Initiate (Wizard). Eladrin, build my intelligence, keep my distance and pelt with cantrips and arrows.

Edit: Ah, rolling. Funnily, all that would change is which class I'd pick from. I'm not going to roll - this is my plan no matter what, because misty step is usefuls.

Arkhios
2017-04-14, 06:49 PM
Magic Initiate makes this kind of easy...

True, but if your wisdom wasn't the highest, or even the second-highest, taking magic initiate for druid wouldn't help you much.

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-14, 06:53 PM
I assume multiclassing is off the table, else go for Wild Mage. Not because it is powerful, just to run up to enemies and see what happens.

Do you feel lucky, punk? Because I sure don't!

Arelai
2017-04-14, 07:25 PM
Have a high Con, go into melee, and always take the dodge action-using your free action to yell at your enemies and taunting them. Wear heavy armor and use a shield.

JNAProductions
2017-04-14, 07:29 PM
Have a high Con, go into melee, and always take the dodge action-using your free action to yell at your enemies and taunting them. Wear heavy armor and use a shield.

The smart enemies quickly begin ignoring you, outside perhaps shouting insults back, and focus down your teammates.

JumboWheat01
2017-04-14, 07:41 PM
I'd go Battlemaster and use those bonus dice of yours to order around your other players into attacks and the like.

Flashy
2017-04-14, 07:42 PM
Honestly any +2 dex race could make a reasonably competent archer. With the archery fighting style your attack bonus is generally +6. It's not outstanding, but +6 is perfectly reasonable at first level. Nothing slows down your scaling so eventually you'd even out. Just don't play a Battlemaster.

Arelai
2017-04-14, 07:44 PM
^Take protection fighting style and bodyguard your ally. Use your action to help or to cast guidance from MI to give a constant +d4 or advantage using your action.

I was also thinking you could use the new cantrip from the spells UA to make slash/pierce/bludgeon damage using your spell casting stat.

NecroDancer
2017-04-14, 07:46 PM
Pump your constitution to the highest (it doesn't matter what archetype you choose although EK could be a bit difficult). Then get the tough feat. Now all you need to do is become a literal meat shield for any casters.

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-14, 07:47 PM
The smart enemies quickly begin ignoring you, outside perhaps shouting insults back, and focus down your teammates.

Smart enemies are still run by a DM. You could see how many times you can fart onto an enemy before they change targets if you have a decent RL dexterity score.

8wGremlin
2017-04-14, 07:55 PM
Vhuman: Magic Initiate (druid) - Shillelagh (attack of Wis), Thornwhip (pull them close to you) and Goodberry (some healing)

Put a +1 into Wis (not sure the order of your stats, as both your examples differ)

Go Eldritch Knight, and pick up defensive magic as best you can.
your AC sucks, you can't wear heavy armour due to your strength, and you have no dex to speak of.

if UA is available you may like to look at Scout, you get extra skills and superiority dice, which you can retrospectivly apply to AC if you need to.

Naanomi
2017-04-14, 08:17 PM
Or Magic Initiate: Warlock for hex and Magic Stone?

JumboWheat01
2017-04-14, 08:21 PM
Smart enemies are still run by a DM. You could see how many times you can fart onto an enemy before they change targets if you have a decent RL dexterity score.

Mental note: weaponize flatulence on my next half-orc character.

Asmotherion
2017-04-14, 08:27 PM
This is just a thought experiment. I don't have such a character, neither in the making nor in play.

Let's say you rolled your stats, and had to keep them in an order which would leave your strength and dexterity at 12 or less before racials. Let's also say that you rolled for your class and got fighter. Let's also say that you had either high intelligence, high wisdom, or high charisma, and that you couldn't multiclass, but feats were ok.

Assuming you couldn't improve your strength or dexterity and you had to live with your obvious defects, but everything else you could choose, including race and archetype. how would you build the character?

For example:

Battle Master
Battle Master Maneuvers: Commander's Strike, Evasive Footwork, Parry, Precise Strike, Rally, ??

Eldritch Knight

High Wisdom:
Magic Initiate: Druid for Shillelagh, Produce Flame (for an attack cantrip) and Faery Fire (So that he can hit more often, and his allies will love him for it, as they profit too).

I'd go for a dueling FS, grab a shield and then go Eldritch Knight. With it, I'd grab Mage Armor (Thus making my Armor 15 (with the shield) with no movement penalty due to low str), and Green-Flame+Booming Blade. Then, get the following feats: Mobile, Heavy Armor Master (countering the speed penalty with mobile), Polearm Master and Sentinel.

Sure, not the best Fighter in the World, but at least he can survive in his mediocrity.

mgshamster
2017-04-14, 08:49 PM
Or Magic Initiate: Warlock for hex and Magic Stone?

I like this idea with a halfling. Make him a rock thrower.

Naanomi
2017-04-14, 09:10 PM
I like this idea with a halfling. Make him a rock thrower.
Lightfoot halfling, wear Halfplate or a Breastplate... Banneret for awesome Persuasion checks, or Battlemaster and really work the Rally maneuver

Slipperychicken
2017-04-14, 09:45 PM
So that makes four potential primary stats you can build a fighter with. Str, Dex, Wis, or Cha.

Truly fighters are the greatest class in 5e.

Phoenix042
2017-04-14, 09:54 PM

Intelligence is the number one monster dump stat.

And besides, how quickly? After round 3, the combat is probably over anyways. My experience is that a 5 round battle is pretty uncommon.

Naanomi
2017-04-14, 09:55 PM
So that makes four potential primary stats you can build a fighter with. Str, Dex, Wis, or Cha.

Truly fighters are the greatest class in 5e.
Lots of classes can play out well using magic Initiate for wisdom or Charisma focuses... a melee Ranger/Hunter using wisdom as an attack stat plays out great for example

2D8HP
2017-04-14, 10:18 PM
Except that I chose to go with Rogue, I did roll similiar stats.

I actually rolled an 18 for INT, and while the other players urged me to play a Wizard, that's just not my thing.

I decided on an Urchin background, High-Elf, with the Firebolt Cantrip.

I'd absolutely do it again as a Fighter, with either the Archery or Defense Fighting Style.

Phoenix042
2017-04-14, 11:01 PM
This reminds me of a campaign idea I'd had, the ultra-low-power game.

I'm going to make a new thread and post the rules.

Lombra
2017-04-15, 05:39 AM
I mean you are a fighter... you have so many ASIs that in the end you can maximize STR or DEX anyways, post racials you could already have 16s at level 6 if you start from 10s, you even still have room for a feat and still get to max the stat.

Arkhios
2017-04-15, 06:02 AM
I mean you are a fighter... you have so many ASIs that in the end you can maximize STR or DEX anyways, post racials you could already have 16s at level 6 if you start from 10s, you even still have room for a feat and still get to max the stat.

Well, yes. But the point of this thought experiment was to think outside the box for once in a while and figure out a way to contribute without good strength or dexterity.

Pumping ASI to str/dex is "too easy".

Lombra
2017-04-15, 06:10 AM
Well, yes. But the point of this thought experiment was to think outside the box for once in a while and figure out a way to contribute without good strength or dexterity.

Pumping ASI to str/dex is "too easy".

Right! Sorry, then I would propose a charisma based character with inspiring leader and maneouvers such as commander's strike and rally to martially suplort your team and feel like a warlord.

Edit: developing the character:

Tiefling because charisma and because of a couple cool daily spells (and because V.Human is cheesy), thaumaturgy allows you to convey your commands very loudly and resistance to fire damage is cool (pun almost intended).

Fighter battle master with commander's strike and rally (you are not going to use maneouvers that trigger when you hit something because you're gonna be bad at it)

Defense or protection fighting style, inspiring leader at 4, martial adept (just for the extra die) at 6, and the rest in maxing con and charisma, maybe even a heavy armor master just to tank better, and why not a shield master? Let's only use feats and forget about ASIs all at once xD

D.U.P.A.
2017-04-15, 09:57 PM
Which armor are you using with low Str&Dex? Heavy armor need Str to not get movement penalty, while other armors require Dex. I guess ring mail has some uses here :D

Naanomi
2017-04-15, 10:45 PM
Which armor are you using with low Str&Dex? Heavy armor need Str to not get movement penalty, while other armors require Dex. I guess ring mail has some uses here :D
A +Dexterity race can get the 14 Dexterity to make good use of half-plate... or a Dwarf to ignore movement penalties

Slipperychicken
2017-04-16, 12:16 AM
A +Dexterity race can get the 14 Dexterity to make good use of half-plate... or a Dwarf to ignore movement penalties

Or just eat the movement penalty. Or take Mobile, so your increased speed cancels it out. Or ride a good mount whenever you can.

djreynolds
2017-04-16, 12:47 AM

For example:

Battle Master

Eldritch Knight

You know a champion crits no matter what. As long as they roll an 18,19, or 20. If you could get you hands on Faerie Fire, it could work

Ziegander
2017-04-16, 01:00 AM
Right! Sorry, then I would propose a charisma based character with inspiring leader and maneouvers such as commander's strike and rally to martially suplort your team and feel like a warlord.

Edit: developing the character:

Tiefling because charisma and because of a couple cool daily spells (and because V.Human is cheesy), thaumaturgy allows you to convey your commands very loudly and resistance to fire damage is cool (pun almost intended).

Fighter battle master with commander's strike and rally (you are not going to use maneouvers that trigger when you hit something because you're gonna be bad at it)

Defense or protection fighting style, inspiring leader at 4, martial adept (just for the extra die) at 6, and the rest in maxing con and charisma, maybe even a heavy armor master just to tank better, and why not a shield master? Let's only use feats and forget about ASIs all at once xD

Damn. I came here to say pretty much exactly this. Support Fighter. I'm not sure it would be good, but I honestly am not sure it would be at all bad either. I've wanted to play one for a while now. Definitely agree with Tiefling, Commander's Strike and Rally, Inspiring Leader and Shield Master.

DeathEatsCurry
2017-04-16, 06:07 AM
Pray to the god of your choice that they release a Lazylord subclass for the Fighter. Pick up Eldritch Blast or some other attack cantrip with Magic Initiate. Charisma could get some extra value in allowing you to intimidate people into surrendering, but Intelligence allows you to go EK. Heck, you could go both. BM could work, but you might blow out of resources a little quick.

djreynolds
2017-04-16, 06:16 AM
Faerie Fire could be snagged with magic initiate, it could make landing crits for a champion easier.

Can you take magic initiate twice and get faerie fire from druid and bard? That way you would have it twice a long rest

D.U.P.A.
2017-04-16, 06:37 AM

14 Dexterity cannot be considered low anymore tbh. A stat must be below 13 to classify as low, which also prevents multiclassing. After all, if you choose a race without stat bump in primary stat of the class, you are most likely to start with 14 in that stat, which also will be your maxed stat.

Ziegander
2017-04-16, 06:44 AM
14 Dexterity cannot be considered low anymore tbh. A stat must be below 13 to classify as low, which also prevents multiclassing. After all, if you choose a race without stat bump in primary stat of the class, you are most likely to start with 14 in that stat, which also will be your maxed stat.

That's... not how this works. That's not how any of this works. OP says 12 or lower STR/DEX before racials, high Int/Cha/Wis.

Arkhios
2017-04-16, 07:24 AM

"A stat must be below 13 to classify as low"

I'm sorry, but "must be"? Says who? That's just your opinion, or a collective opinion of a certain community, but either way, that's not a written "rule" anywhere. Everyone is of course free to make their own assumptions of "low" but never go saying that your "low" is the absolute truth that everyone should abide with.

Also, to your previous statement that any armor had a "dexterity requirement", there is no such thing. A medium armor can be worn even if your dex was 10 or lower.

I know this is me being pedantic, but ring mail is still a heavy armor, so it's a bit hasty to say that "heavy armor needs strength".

D.U.P.A.
2017-04-16, 08:33 AM
"A stat must be below 13 to classify as low"

I'm sorry, but "must be"? Says who? That's just your opinion, or a collective opinion of a certain community, but either way, that's not a written "rule" anywhere. Everyone is of course free to make their own assumptions of "low" but never go saying that your "low" is the absolute truth that everyone should abide with.

Also, to your previous statement that any armor had a "dexterity requirement", there is no such thing. A medium armor can be worn even if your dex was 10 or lower.

I know this is me being pedantic, but ring mail is still a heavy armor, so it's a bit hasty to say that "heavy armor needs strength".

14 is quite common for a primary stat, for example there are plenty of competent Tiefling Fighters around and they most started with 14 in primary stat if using point buy. There is no stat requirements for armors, but you have your AC smaller with medium or light armor with a low Dex and reduced speed with heavy armor with low Str (which can be quite a big deal). I just wondered how to solve your AC problems with low physical stats, also trying to find out any use of ring mail, as there is already scale mail which provides the same AC as ring mail at +0 Dex (unless you dump that stat).

Talionis
2017-04-16, 09:34 PM
14 is quite common for a primary stat, for example there are plenty of competent Tiefling Fighters around and they most started with 14 in primary stat if using point buy. There is no stat requirements for armors, but you have your AC smaller with medium or light armor with a low Dex and reduced speed with heavy armor with low Str (which can be quite a big deal). I just wondered how to solve your AC problems with low physical stats, also trying to find out any use of ring mail, as there is already scale mail which provides the same AC as ring mail at +0 Dex (unless you dump that stat).

Mage Armor last eight hours picked up with Magic Initiate feat
Shield
Protection
Wear heavy armor and take the penalty.
Find Guauntlets of Ogre Power and wear heavy armor
Mobility Feat and heavy armor
Defensive Duelist and Shaleighl from Magic Initiate feat

Zene
2017-04-17, 12:21 AM
Without hesitation, I'd go champion, with a crit-fishing build. Half-orc for the bonus critical die. Gwm since your +hit won't matter anyway, so you might as well power swing every time. Get an ild rune weapon and maybe a helm of brilliance for extra damage dice on those crits. Find a way to get advantage, either through party makeup, mounted combatant feat, or maybe using one of your attacks as a shove.

JumboWheat01
2017-04-17, 07:49 AM
An increased chance to hit still matters to Champions. Only the natural 20 is an automatic hit. 18 and 19 still have a chance to miss, critical hit or no.

Waazraath
2017-04-17, 08:14 AM
An increased chance to hit still matters to Champions. Only the natural 20 is an automatic hit. 18 and 19 still have a chance to miss, critical hit or no.

Nope. Link here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/3bmmej/does_a_critical_hit_on_a_19_mean_an_automatic_hit/

Including links to Mearls and Crawford who confirm this.

Naanomi
2017-04-17, 08:34 AM
If we could survive until 4th, probably the most archetypical version of this would be a Hill Dwarf who takes Magic Initiate: Shillelegh as quickly as possible... A point buy build could be like 8/8/16/12/16/14 or something and still operate as a fully functional sword+board fighter of any archetype

RickAllison
2017-04-17, 09:29 AM
Nope. Link here: https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/3bmmej/does_a_critical_hit_on_a_19_mean_an_automatic_hit/

Including links to Mearls and Crawford who confirm this.

Yup. The one that the poster was thinking of is paralysis and being Assassin abilities, which require managing to hit the target and then make them critical hits.

Maxilian
2017-04-17, 02:01 PM
True, but if your wisdom wasn't the highest, or even the second-highest, taking magic initiate for druid wouldn't help you much.

Then go with Magic Stones cantrip or go with Hexblade mc for 1 lvl (if you happen to have a decent CHA)