PDA

View Full Version : The closest shave you can get

gooddragon1
2017-04-14, 09:49 PM
http://images.revlon.com/~/media/images/revlon/products/beautytools/p_tools_eyes_ultimatetweezerslant.ashx?h=540&la=en&w=280

Quite painful, but I look forward to not having to shave for a while (I've heard some people say not ever, but I'm skeptical). You just don't get a closer shave than that.

JNAProductions
2017-04-14, 10:10 PM
Ouch. You have my sympathies, good person.

gooddragon1
2017-04-14, 10:38 PM
Ouch. You have my sympathies, good person.

With each facial hair plucked I tell myself "It'll be worth it". It wears down my pain tolerance, but it'll be worth it.

Delicious Taffy
2017-04-14, 10:47 PM
A more pedantic man than I would tell you that plucking is not shaving at all, but a separate act.

Alright, fine, an equally pedantic man. Okay, actually me. It's not shaving.

gooddragon1
2017-04-14, 10:48 PM
A more pedantic man than I would tell you that plucking is not shaving at all, but a separate act.

Alright, fine, an equally pedantic man. Okay, actually me. It's not shaving.

Well, I mean, if you insist on splitting hairs... I mean severing them?

Starwulf
2017-04-15, 12:06 AM
Heh, I on the other hand am letting my beard grow out till summer, in order to get used to having a longer beard, as once I shave it in June, I'm then letting it grow for a year straight until next June :). It's been growing right now since Nov. 25th, and it's definitely showing, hairs are already 3-4 inches long(I come from a family whose men grow fairly significantly sized beards, my oldest Uncle has a beard that reaches down past his pecs). I figure going for a year should easily hit me at the half a foot mark easily, and maybe 8 inches long :)

Edit: Wow, I actually took a look at the picture. Yeah, I don't think that would even be a viable method of getting rid of my beard, it would literally take 2 or 3 hours, at a minimum, to pluck out each and every hair, and even pulling several at a time would still take at least a solid hour to two. I'd neither have the patience, nor the pain tolerance for something like that ^^

gooddragon1
2017-04-15, 02:06 AM
Heh, I on the other hand am letting my beard grow out till summer, in order to get used to having a longer beard, as once I shave it in June, I'm then letting it grow for a year straight until next June :). It's been growing right now since Nov. 25th, and it's definitely showing, hairs are already 3-4 inches long(I come from a family whose men grow fairly significantly sized beards, my oldest Uncle has a beard that reaches down past his pecs). I figure going for a year should easily hit me at the half a foot mark easily, and maybe 8 inches long :)

Edit: Wow, I actually took a look at the picture. Yeah, I don't think that would even be a viable method of getting rid of my beard, it would literally take 2 or 3 hours, at a minimum, to pluck out each and every hair, and even pulling several at a time would still take at least a solid hour to two. I'd neither have the patience, nor the pain tolerance for something like that ^^

The beard actually isn't bad (and mine never grew that much, only a bit due to laziness on shaving). The part that hurts is the closer you get to the nose (particularly right under it). I'll get to the beard later. For now, I need to rest and let my pain tolerance replenish (the hard part is over). It appears my laziness is a powerful motivator.

Prince Zahn
2017-04-15, 05:38 AM
Chapeau for the willpower, my friend! I could not fathom going through that kind of torture. I had my eyebrows plucked once at a hotel spa in Malta, I swear I wanted to run away crying by the time she finished half the job. :smalleek:

Andezzar
2017-04-15, 07:50 AM
Before attempting this, maybe ask someone who is experienced with plucking, whether the hairs stay gone. AFAIK most come back.

While shaving is a chore, I would prefer doing it daily to that pain and hassle every couple of weeks.

The lazy alternative is to grow a beard and keep it short. Trimming it every 1-2 weeks isn't much work. That way you keep it short enough not to need all sorts of beard care.

Manga Shoggoth
2017-04-15, 07:57 AM
Quite painful, but I look forward to not having to shave for a while ([I]I've heard some people say not ever, but I'm skeptical). You just don't get a closer shave than that.

I just asked my wife (a beautician, which involves a frightening amount of hair plucking all over the anataomy by various means) assures me that if you pluck your hairs out they will regrow. She has been doing her eyebrows for years and they are still there.

She does warn me that if you do it repeatedly there is a risk of damaging the follicle which can cause ingrowing hairs or hairs growing at odd angles.

Electrolysis1 and laser treatment can kill the root, but it takes several attempts and a long period of time.

1 Which, much to my disappointment, is not Electrolysis. No salt solutions were harmed by this form of treatrment...

Rockphed
2017-04-15, 08:20 AM
Yeah, I occasionally pluck some of my facial hair as a nervous tic. It keeps growing back. You are better off shaving regularly. Firstly because it doesn't hurt as much, and secondly because the process of plucking causes parts of your face to swell.

sktarq
2017-04-15, 10:23 AM
Um-Having had to shave daily from age 15 (and not allowed to have a beard at boarding school) I understand the issue. I found a strait razor the closest shave. And I tried a bunch of things. Plucking did not help-increased scragglyness and about 24-36 hours of growth. Which wasn't worth the time. The strait razor wasn't worth the time either but it did have some effect with only moderate time increases.

It last for about three hours more than a regular "close shave"

Which means my face wouldn't be a mass of thousands of small daggers until 10-11 pm.

For kissing reasons I have had a beard since I was 18

Peelee
2017-04-16, 01:39 AM
not allowed to have a beard at boarding school

Ugh, tell me about it. I was lucky enough to get away with only needing to shave weekly back then. Now, I let it grow out until the annoyance outweighs the laziness.

scalyfreak
2017-04-16, 08:24 PM
Before attempting this, maybe ask someone who is experienced with plucking, whether the hairs stay gone. AFAIK most come back.

They do.

Just as with waxing, the main benefit is that they stay away longer, but eventually,everything always grows back. That's how and why waxing salons stay in business.

Keltest
2017-04-16, 08:24 PM
Ugh, tell me about it. I was lucky enough to get away with only needing to shave weekly back then. Now, I let it grow out until the annoyance outweighs the laziness.

Ditto. For me, that's about at the point where it starts oozing bits of what I ate for dinner last night, which coincidentally is also where it starts to curl around on itself and tickle my chin.

Artemis97
2017-04-16, 08:33 PM
You could try waxing. Same result, plucking all the hairs out, less time, as they all come out at once. For a less painful methods, may I suggest hair removal creams like nair?

AtlanteanTroll
2017-04-16, 09:03 PM
The hairs will come back. Eventually, they won't, but they will for at least a year.

Also, not shaving.

Knaight
2017-04-16, 09:41 PM
You could try waxing. Same result, plucking all the hairs out, less time, as they all come out at once. For a less painful methods, may I suggest hair removal creams like nair?

I wouldn't suggest nair or anything like it for hair on the face. The skin is usually a bit less resilient than skin on legs, arms, etc., and that's before getting into the matter of close proximity to surface organs.

scalyfreak
2017-04-16, 09:50 PM
I wouldn't suggest nair or anything like it for hair on the face. The skin is usually a bit less resilient than skin on legs, arms, etc., and that's before getting into the matter of close proximity to surface organs.

Agreed.

Also, waxing is a good alternative on facial hair only if you don't have a lot of it... waxing leaves skin tender, highly sensitive, and prone to rash and swelling.

sktarq
2017-04-17, 12:17 AM
Ugh, tell me about it. I was lucky enough to get away with only needing to shave weekly back then.

Eventually I was told privately that as long as I shaved weekly they wouldn't enforce the rule for me due to the speed I grew a beard. They figured that once I had tried things like a strait razor I had put in enough effort.

Starwulf
2017-04-17, 12:29 AM
Eventually I was told privately that as long as I shaved weekly they wouldn't enforce the rule for me due to the speed I grew a beard. They figured that once I had tried things like a strait razor I had put in enough effort.

On the other side of that extreme, back in the military I had a guy in my platoon that was forced to shave twice a day. He'd shave in the morning, and by about 2 or so in the afternoon already was growing significant stubble again.

Come to think of it, why/how do some people grow facial hair THAT quickly? I mean my dad is pretty close to that as well, my mom used to make him shave a second time in a day if they were going out somewhere back when I was a kid, and a guy in the grade below me in highschool was growing a beard by the time he was in 9th or 10th grade. I mean, my beard grows pretty fast, but nothing like that. Is it strictly genetics? Does exercise or diet factor in some way?

Manga Shoggoth
2017-04-17, 04:50 AM
You could try waxing. Same result, plucking all the hairs out, less time, as they all come out at once.

There is also a product called - if I recall correctly from when I was creating my wife's price list - Depisoft, which is a sort of local anasthetic for use when waxing. However I am not sure if waxing a beard is a good idea - my wife was against it and the results of a quick search were mixed and veering to the negative (https://www.quora.com/Is-waxing-your-beard-off-a-bad-idea).

For a less painful methods, may I suggest hair removal creams like nair?

I had that idea once - the wife talked me out of it very quickly...

kyoryu
2017-04-17, 11:12 AM
It last for about three hours more than a regular "close shave"

Which means my face wouldn't be a mass of thousands of small daggers until 10-11 pm.

A good double-edged safety razor will get you most of the benefits of a straight razor with a lot less hassle.

sktarq
2017-04-17, 11:57 AM
A good double-edged safety razor will get you most of the benefits of a straight razor with a lot less hassle.

The key word there is "most". It's gets closer than most razors but not as close as a strait. I tried that too. Getting a couple hours less stubble for the work wasn't worth it either.

As this thread is about the closest shave I went for the information I had on my experience with the very closest.

Is that extra closeness over safety razor worth it? Not for me to judge as they were both near worthless

Quild
2017-04-18, 07:16 AM
No return from gooddragon1?

I'm really dubious about this idea.
Besides the pain and the required time for a full shave (it should be much, much faster and less, less painful with wax. Still a bad idea though.), I'd say the result must be terrible. Bloody face, ton of pimples... And I don't think it's worth the time before regrowth.

On the other side of that extreme, back in the military I had a guy in my platoon that was forced to shave twice a day. He'd shave in the morning, and by about 2 or so in the afternoon already was growing significant stubble again.

Come to think of it, why/how do some people grow facial hair THAT quickly? I mean my dad is pretty close to that as well, my mom used to make him shave a second time in a day if they were going out somewhere back when I was a kid, and a guy in the grade below me in highschool was growing a beard by the time he was in 9th or 10th grade. I mean, my beard grows pretty fast, but nothing like that. Is it strictly genetics? Does exercise or diet factor in some way?

My father has a thick beard and also was used to shave in the morning and before going out in the evening when he was in his early twenties.
I shave every two days if I want it to be a close shave but usually shave once or twice by week otherwise. I don't have "holes" in my beard.
I don't know for my brother's beard growth, he doesn't shave much. He has holes in his beard, but it may be because he twists and pull it.

Genetics may be a factor, but I believe you sometimes get more genetic traits from your grandparents than from your parents.

Beleriphon
2017-04-18, 09:26 AM
Genetics may be a factor, but I believe you sometimes get more genetic traits from your grandparents than from your parents.

Its genetics. I can't grow a beard worth a damn. My facial hair is patchy at best, and I grow as much beard in a week as some people do in 48 hours. So I shave at best, twice a week otherwise I'm just scraping skin off my face. For example I shaved yesterday at about 10am, and now at about 10:30am I'm barely feeling the hair growth, it's there and I can feel it but only in spots where it didn't shave down as close as other areas.

gooddragon1
2017-04-18, 11:48 PM
No return from gooddragon1?

I'm really dubious about this idea.
Besides the pain and the required time for a full shave (it should be much, much faster and less, less painful with wax. Still a bad idea though.), I'd say the result must be terrible. Bloody face, ton of pimples... And I don't think it's worth the time before regrowth.

My father has a thick beard and also was used to shave in the morning and before going out in the evening when he was in his early twenties.
I shave every two days if I want it to be a close shave but usually shave once or twice by week otherwise. I don't have "holes" in my beard.
I don't know for my brother's beard growth, he doesn't shave much. He has holes in his beard, but it may be because he twists and pull it.

Pain tolerance: check.
Resistance to stage fright: not only not check, but reverse

I got all the facial hair. Mustache, beard, sideburns. Not much regrowth even now. The smaller hairs evade the turbolasers, but I'll engage them as they become noticeable. No need for concern on this moment of triumph.