PDA

View Full Version : Another silly concept: D&D ultra-low-power mode.

Phoenix042
2017-04-14, 11:13 PM
So this was an idea I had for a one-shot game (or several, if it turned out to be really fun).

Basically, the PC's choose from a super narrow list of minor features, and classes are severely nerfed. Here's the breakdown:

Instead of normal character creation rules, players get:

13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8
to assign to their abilities however they like.

For class, players can choose:

Adept:
Hit Die: 1d6
Gain the benefit of the Magic Initiate feat.
Start with clothes and a component pouch.

Rogue:
Hit Die: 1d8
Proficiency with two simple weapons
Sneak attack +1d6
Starts with clothes and one simple weapon

Warrior
Hit Die: 1d10
proficiency with two simple weapons
proficiency with shields or light armor
Starts with clothes, one simple weapon, and either a shield or padded armor

(if a weapon requiring ammunition is chosen for starting equipment, the player also gets 5 pieces of ammo).

All characters get two skill proficiencies of their choice, or one skill and one tool.

All characters are a small monster race, such as goblin or kobold, but instead of the usual racial traits, players choose one of the following racial traits:

Gain darkvision and sunlight sensitivity.

Gain resistance to one elemental damage type. Also gain vulnerability to bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage (randomly determined).

Gain one tool proficiency.

For encounters I would aim for less than CR 1, but occasionally a CR 1 foe would show up. The party would not gain levels. This would be a one-shot game, where every encounter had several options for approaching it indirectly or creatively, but every few fights there would be a deadly one. Treasure might include a few pieces of ammo, a random simple weapon, or some random item from the equipment tables in the PHB.

The adventure premises would be quick and simple; basic survival in a hostile wilderness, escape from a mad-wizard's tower, infiltrate a noble's estate in the city through the sewers and rooftops, etc.

What do you guys think? Would you find this interesting?

LordCdrMilitant
2017-04-14, 11:26 PM
One time someone ran a "peasant one-shot".

Everyone had class "commoner" and rolled stats by 4d6 discard highest. I wasn't in it, but I hear they fought things like rats in the street with sticks, and that it was funny as a oneshot.

2D8HP
2017-04-14, 11:33 PM
If all the PC's have are similarly low-powered?

Sure I'd play.

It almost seems a bit like the D&D I played years ago.

Mind you I've grown accustomed to most PC's surviving to reach 2nd level lately though.

Dracul3S
2017-04-15, 05:30 AM
As a one shot? Seems fun. Keep in mind that failing even simple problems might be a problem (lower than expected ability modifiers and less skills).

TrinculoLives
2017-04-16, 09:39 PM
There's even less going on with the classes then level 1 adventurers, which isn't a lot to begin with. So I think that the items one acquires in the one-shot would need to be as useful as the features of these simplified roles.

That is to say, if the party comes across a ladder, it should be really useful in the game. Or if someone wins a bottle of whiskey, it had better have neat uses for it.

The novelty of it is alluring. Even 1st level adventurers in my games scoff when they find copper pieces and unless an item is magical they rarely bother with it. But in this sort of game, every pittance they come across would be prized.

Phoenix042
2017-04-16, 10:22 PM
The novelty of it is alluring. Even 1st level adventurers in my games scoff when they find copper pieces and unless an item is magical they rarely bother with it. But in this sort of game, every pittance they come across would be prized.

I'm glad you liked the idea. I think it would be a really fun one-shot, a chance to really focus in on details and give every little tool and scrap of equipment enhanced utility.

It also gives players a chance to try to shine without having characters that are already above average.

furby076
2017-04-16, 11:01 PM
Sounds like this could be fun. Maybe the adventure lasts a few sessions. The end of the adventure, the pcs gain lvl 1 in an actual class and are retired as npcs...that may be encountered down the road by your regular gsme

UndeadArcanist
2017-04-16, 11:13 PM
The way this is set up seems very balanced (internally) and simplistic. It could also make a good intro to D&D for new players.

Cespenar
2017-04-17, 03:51 AM
The warrior looks the weakest of the three, but whatever floats your boat. I'd give it a fighting style to balance things up.

Knaight
2017-04-17, 05:17 AM
The general idea of adventurers of that scale sounds fun, but I'd hesitate to use D&D for it. There are certain assumptions baked into the system (e.g. the whole heavily armored strength fighter thing is kind of central to how the armor mechanics work) that are a bit iffy, and then there's the way characters this inept at combat could really use a skill system with a touch more depth to it because it's suddenly a more major component of their capabilities.

Still, I'd play it as is/