PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Animal companion - Natural Bond and Beastmaster

Blu
2017-04-15, 08:10 AM
So i wanted to ask about the Natural bond feat(from CA) and the Beastmaster PrC(also CA).
Does the bonus levels count only when multiclassing or they also count for higher levels of animal companions?

For example, a Druid 6/Beastmaster 1 Druid 5/Beastmaster 1 with Natural bond would completly negate the penalty for having a tiguer as an animal companion?

And if so, in terms of optimization could you put Sacred Vow and VoP in the tiger and it would be very strong and dangerous animal companion?

Edit: Just read again the animal companion from beastmaster and it's bonus to level also counts for selecting a higher level companion, so you could pick up a tiger at level 6 instead of 7

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-15, 08:20 AM
Yes, that's generally how it works. Though not all DMs allow it.

Keep in mind that losing a level of casting and wild shape isn't worth 3 extra levels of animal companion progression (which comes out to 2 bonus HD).

To give your animal companion VoP you need to get Exalted Companion first. Because VoP requires good and animals are all neutral by default.

Blu
2017-04-15, 08:35 AM
Yes, that's generally how it works. Though not all DMs allow it.

I can see why.

Keep in mind that losing a level of casting and wild shape isn't worth 3 extra levels of animal companion progression (which comes out to 2 bonus HD).

I was looking at the druid table, you end up losing 1 wildshape of elemental and losing huge elementals besides being 1 level behind...
This bonus HD would be important if we are talking about an exalted VoP animal companion, those 2 HD on a tiger, for example, would mean +1 attacks, Saves, armor bonus, deflection bonus, 1 exalted feat(meh), regeneration and True seeing.

To give your animal companion VoP you need to get Exalted Companion first. Because VoP requires good and animals are all neutral by default.

Forgot to mention it :smallbiggrin:

sleepyphoenixx
2017-04-15, 08:50 AM
I can see why.
It depends on your table. It's not really overpowered. Animal companion focus is pretty much the weakest path a druid can take.

I was looking at the druid table, you end up losing 1 wildshape of elemental and losing huge elementals besides being 1 level behind...
This bonus HD would be important if we are talking about an exalted VoP animal companion, those 2 HD on a tiger, for example, would mean +1 attacks, Saves, armor bonus, deflection bonus, 1 exalted feat(meh), regeneration and True seeing.

You can't just look at level 20 unless you're starting at level 20.
If you're actually playing it means you get all new spell levels a level later, your spells will be easier to dispel, you'll have a harder time dispelling yourself and getting past SR, your spells durations will be shorter and they'll do less damage, you get access to key new wild shape forms a level later (huge forms especially are a massive power boost, but it applies to nearly every level) and so on.

Not to mention that the value of a beatstick like the animal companion falls off rapidly at higher levels. At the same time spellcasting gets more important.
You're spending feats and levels on something that's starting behind instead of playing to your strengths.

That doesn't mean it won't work. At most tables that's still enough power to more than keep up. But it's a concern worth adressing.

There's also the problem that many DMs won't allow your companion to take VoP unless you take it yourself, if at all. And that's definitely not worth it.