PDA

View Full Version : Parts of the gods?

Grandmoose91
2017-04-15, 11:36 AM
Where can i find a peice of a god to cast ice assassin with?

Im planning a high OP campaign in which the party, after gaining imortality through varius forms of undeath, decide the most logical way to grow more powerful is to become gods. The fastest way I can find to do that is to slay a god and steal their divinity. So far my plan for that involves finding a piece of a god so I can cast ice assassin with it. Who better to slay a god than a god, right? So far the only piece of a god I can find is the hand/eye of vecna. Does anybody know of another god losing a finger or something along those lines?

Buufreak
2017-04-15, 11:45 AM
A spell component pouch should have you covered.

Eldan
2017-04-15, 11:54 AM
By strict and stupid rules as written? Your component pouch. A component pouch contains all components. Parts of gods are components.

Otherwise, ask your DM.

Edit: well, one idea. If corpses count, there are the Dead Gods on the astral plane. However, that brings you into direct conflict with Anubis, the guardian of the dead gods, and you don't want that.

Inevitability
2017-04-15, 11:58 AM
The Hand and Eye of Vecna come to mind.

Grandmoose91
2017-04-15, 12:14 PM
Lol. I hadn't thought to just pull one out of my component pouch. Unfortunately I don't think my DM is going to make it that easy for me.
Now a dead god might work but how would that work with the ice assassin spell?

Nettlekid
2017-04-15, 12:29 PM
Lol. I hadn't thought to just pull one out of my component pouch. Unfortunately I don't think my DM is going to make it that easy for me.
Now a dead god might work but how would that work with the ice assassin spell?

Personally if I were the DM I'd rule that you can't make an Ice Assassin out of a dead creature, as the spell creates "a living, breathing creature that is a near-perfect duplicate of an existing creature." Since the dead creature isn't living and breathing, the Ice Assassin wouldn't be a duplicate of it. Furthermore if it's dead then arguably it doesn't exist as a creature anymore (corpses being objects,) so if there's no existing creature to duplicate then the spell should fail.

Which god are you trying to get a part of? In MMV there are a few God-Blooded rituals described, most of which involve a representative of a god dabbing the blood of a god on a creature to receive the template. If you could intercept one of those rituals then you could steal some god's blood like that. Gruumsh's seems easy to steal, and Kord's could be won fairly even if you lose the match.

Grandmoose91
2017-04-15, 12:33 PM
That's exactly what I was looking for! I'll have to wait till I get home to check my books but it sounds way easier to inturupt a ritual than to keep a secret from vecna. His hand seemed an obvious choice but he would cerrainy find out about my plans and I can't see him being happy lol.

Keral
2017-04-15, 12:48 PM
Plus I'd personally rule that you wouldn't get much godness out of an already dead god, if any at all.

But that would depend on the DM

Sagetim
2017-04-15, 01:19 PM
Plus I'd personally rule that you wouldn't get much godness out of an already dead god, if any at all.

But that would depend on the DM

Well, yes, but there wasn't much divinity to start with in the god of the junk in tom's kitchen drawer to begin with, so that's fair.

Grandmoose91
2017-04-15, 03:27 PM
Lol have you looked in Toms kitchen drawer? You might be suprised.
Even a little divinity would be good we are going to most likely have to kill a few, after all is a demigod even really a god?

Jay R
2017-04-15, 03:34 PM
Become Norse or Greek. In the Norse myths, the sons of Bor built the world out of Ymir's body. In Greek mythology, the earth is the goddess Gaea.

Inevitability
2017-04-15, 04:09 PM
Become Norse or Greek. In the Norse myths, the sons of Bor built the world out of Ymir's body. In Greek mythology, the earth is the goddess Gaea.

That sounds like the way elder evils are created.

Take a moment to think of the likely result: an overdeity-level being with the primary motivation of destroying its original self, said original self being better known as the physical universe? High-level wizard or not, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that thing when it pops into existence.

CIDE
2017-04-15, 06:41 PM
Eschew materials....?

A more serious note all the abominations have some degree of divinity. All basically divine rank zero. I don't know if that can help you in the long run.

Jay R
2017-04-17, 07:47 PM
That sounds like the way elder evils are created.

Take a moment to think of the likely result: an overdeity-level being with the primary motivation of destroying its original self, said original self being better known as the physical universe? High-level wizard or not, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that thing when it pops into existence.

Sounds better and better.

Particle_Man
2017-04-17, 11:04 PM
Personally if I were the DM I'd rule that you can't make an Ice Assassin out of a dead creature, as the spell creates "a living, breathing creature that is a near-perfect duplicate of an existing creature." Since the dead creature isn't living and breathing, the Ice Assassin wouldn't be a duplicate of it.

Do gods breathe?

Flickerdart
2017-04-17, 11:06 PM
Do gods breathe?

Gods are Outsiders, and Outsiders breathe. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType)

Particle_Man
2017-04-18, 12:09 AM
Gods are Outsiders, and Outsiders breathe. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#outsiderType)

Other outsiders maybe, but deities do not need to eat, sleep or breathe.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#immortality

atemu1234
2017-04-18, 12:31 AM

To be fair, it never says that they can't breathe, though

ShurikVch
2017-04-18, 04:36 AM
In Fiendish Codex II, "Devilish Bribes and Gifts" sidebar - in "Task Complexity" table we have
Impossible (pluck a hair from St. Cuthbert’s head)

Flickerdart
2017-04-18, 11:50 AM

They do not need to, but they have the ability to do so, which means that the ice assassin can be breathing.

Particle_Man
2017-04-18, 02:46 PM
They do not need to, but they have the ability to do so, which means that the ice assassin can be breathing.

In which case it becomes a question for the DM and which, if any, of the gods in that DM's setting choose to breathe even though they do not have to.

Flickerdart
2017-04-18, 03:22 PM
In which case it becomes a question for the DM and which, if any, of the gods in that DM's setting choose to breathe even though they do not have to.

No need. The original's habits in no way affect what the ice assassin does. After all, most deities don't take orders from random mortal wizards, and yet the ice assassin clone is happy to.