PDA

View Full Version : Player Help My character is suddenly an immortal fey. How to roleplay this?

TheCorsairMalac
2017-04-15, 12:14 PM
Need to know: I'm the only player in this group, and my DM controls a persistent character who adventures with me. He has made it clear that I'm in charge of deciding what adventures to pursue and how to go about them.

I wanted to play a supernatural trickster, so my DM let me put together a rules-legal shapeshifting fox. I play the character as if he is a fey creature pestering mankind out of instinct and curiosity, helping them for fun and laughs. It was my intention to eventually have the character truly become a fey. (In my own eyes at least, even if not strictly by the rules.)

But in our last session the DM gave me a wish. The Aladdin type of wish, not any spell by the same name. He urged me to wish for immortality, but that wasn't what I wanted for my character. As a sort of selfish compromise I wished for "myself to be the prototype for--and first of--a new variety of immortal fey."

And it worked! My character--is--fey now and can never truly be killed. But there are downsides. A day after he performs mischief he feels an unbearable urge to take credit for the deed. Creatures exactly like me have appeared suddenly, as mischievous and proud as myself. There is also some other downside I have not discovered which my DM hints is related to moments when I would normally die.

So my question is: How should my character act now that he is a creature of wild nature, immortal, and father of a race?

GPS
2017-04-15, 03:22 PM
This is the best setup for a high school sitcom ever written.
Why did you wish for immortality though?! Never wish for something the DM encourages you to wish for, wish for sweet fey abilities!

Velaryon
2017-04-15, 03:48 PM
Other than immortality, have your character's powers changed? Does being a fey carry with it any implicit or explicit rules in this universe (such as the ability to make contracts, being unable to speak false statements, being aligned to a winter or summer court, etc.)? Does being the prototype of a new species of fey grant you any sort of social status among other fey?

What connection, if any, did your character have to other fey before being granted this wish?

These are all things you'd need to discover that might affect your character's personality and roleplaying opportunities. For now though, it seems to me that your character is still themself, but has been thrust into an unusual position that they have to become acclimated to. I would think confusion and curiosity should be pretty big parts of what your character is going through at the moment, as they explore the limits of any newfound power, responsibility, and status they might have acquired.

Mastikator
2017-04-15, 04:15 PM
Do what you intended all along? Cause mischief, take credit, move onto bigger and bigger targets to annoy.

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-15, 04:25 PM
Do what you intended all along? Cause mischief, take credit, move onto bigger and bigger targets to annoy.

Agreed. Fey are often chaotic things, varied in their very essence and what rules they are bound do. You are the father of a new race, based solely upon you and you alone. You are the architect, archetype and progenitor of your own race. All others are pale imitations of what you are. Why would you do anything but what you decree is best? After all, you are based on pride and trickery.

You do you.

TheCorsairMalac
2017-04-16, 12:15 AM
This is the best setup for a high school sitcom ever written.
Why did you wish for immortality though?! Never wish for something the DM encourages you to wish for, wish for sweet fey abilities!

Because it's so tantalizingly regrettable! Could anything produce more delicious drama than taking the bait?

Other than immortality, have your character's powers changed? Does being a fey carry with it any implicit or explicit rules in this universe (such as the ability to make contracts, being unable to speak false statements, being aligned to a winter or summer court, etc.)? Does being the prototype of a new species of fey grant you any sort of social status among other fey?

What connection, if any, did your character have to other fey before being granted this wish?

Fey are rare in my DM's world, but as a druid my character would have interacted with them relatively often. His 'brother' is a noteworthy treant. I don't think that my DM had a strong plan for the culture of fey in his world. Likely this wish is forcing him to make up just the sort of details your asking about. I'm very excited to see what he comes up with. I will definitely flaunt the fact that I'm the first of my kind for social prestige.

Hehehe! Good point! Some things should definitely not change.

Agreed. Fey are often chaotic things, varied in their very essence and what rules they are bound do. You are the father of a new race, based solely upon you and you alone. You are the architect, archetype and progenitor of your own race. All others are pale imitations of what you are. Why would you do anything but what you decree is best? After all, you are based on pride and trickery.

You do you.

Ooh! Perhaps he could see the others of his kind as competition to be surpassed? "I was the first, naturally I should also be the best."

TeChameleon
2017-04-17, 01:57 AM
Hah... depending on how crazy your new variety of fey are (at least by human standards), he could now consider dying to be his new 'win condition'- mischief on a scale so epic that the gods themselves altered the fundamental nature of reality just to get rid of him.

... that and reality tends to be a bit fluid when it comes to tricksters anyhow. You've likely got some seriously weird new abilities if you look at things in a sufficiently cockeyed manner. Or to put it another way, all of a sudden you're playing Toon while everyone else is playing D&D (or whatever) :smallamused: