PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a specific *Gish*

Buufreak
2017-04-15, 01:06 PM
In my never ending attempt to take other genres and stories and convert them into coherent DND rules, I find myself in need of a solid Ranger/Cleric gish, or something fairly similar. Key points I am looking for is domain access, divine casting, and a combat focus on bow use.

Edit: I forgot the difference of Theurge and Gish. I went back and fixed that in post and title.

Gildedragon
2017-04-15, 01:17 PM
<<accidental double post... Bad internet>>

Gildedragon
2017-04-15, 01:18 PM
Am I even spelling that right? Anyways...

In my never ending attempt to take other genres and stories and convert them into coherent DND rules, I find myself in need of a solid Ranger/Cleric theurge, or something fairly similar. Key points I am looking for is domain access, divine casting, and a combat focus on bow use.

Cleric with Zen Archery
Ranger with Planar Touchstone feat
Cleric into prestige Ranger

Karl Aegis
2017-04-15, 01:39 PM
Divine Crusader of Ehlonna.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2017-04-15, 01:51 PM
Prestige Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeRanger) is from Unearthed Arcana, but it's pretty bad compared to a Cleric who takes prestige classes that don't lose out on spellcasting.

Ideally, you would just go Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) and take prestige classes that don't lose any spellcasting levels. Make your character a Wild Elf or a Wood Elf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm), get the Elf domain for Point-Blank Shot, trade the free Knowledge domain for Knowledge Devotion in Complete Champion, and for your last domain I'd get Plant with the spontaneous domain casting ACF in PH2. Trade your Turn Undead ability for Rebuke Dragons in Dragon Magic. Go Cloistered Cleric 5/ Ruathar 3/ Seeker of the Misty Isle 1/ Sacred Exorcist 1/ Contemplative 10. This gets you the Travel domain and two more domains, one of which should be the Spell domain.

Take the Otherworldly regional feat in PGtF at 1st level if you want to use some serious cheese. You'll need a lot of feats so take two flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm). Get Zen Archery (if Wis is higher than Dex), Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Extra Turning, and whatever else you think you'll need. You can use Rebuke Dragons 3+Cha+Extra Turning+Items* times per day, and you can use Turn Undead just as many times per day, all of which can be used to power Divine Metamagic: Persistent Spell. Use that to buff yourself all day with Divine Favor, Divine Power, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (party), Mass Lesser Vigor (party), Magic Circle Against Evil, etc. If you got Otherworldly you can also use Greater Anyspell via the Spell domain to cast Draconic Polymorph in the Draconomicon to become an Arrow Demon in MM3, and use Divine Metamagic to make that Persistent. *Get a Reliquary Holy Symbol in MIC and as many Nightsticks in LM as you can for even more Turn Undead/Rebuke Dragons uses, and even more persistent spells.

Get Hank's Energy Bow (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) or a +1 Splitting Seeking composite longbow that can accommodate your Divine Power strength score, and put (Extended) Greater Magic Weapon on it every day. You'll need two bows if you're turning into an Arrow Demon. Get a Monk's Belt to add your Wis bonus to your AC, cast (Extended, Greater) Luminous Armor and DMM: Persistent Shield (via Anyspell) every day, and put (Extended) Magic Vestment on both those effects every day.

You'll have full BAB from Divine Power, extra bonuses to hit and damage from Divine Favor, Knowledge Devotion (just one rank in every relevant knowledge skill is a +1 against every opponent), and other buffs, huge AC, plenty of skill points and about the same class skills as a Ranger has, tons of utility spells, party buffs, and it's overall one of the strongest archers you can make.

Inevitability
2017-04-15, 02:00 PM
Mystic ranger 10/Ur Priest 10? :smalltongue:

Buufreak
2017-04-15, 02:30 PM
Much appreciation for the help, guys, but once again I made a booboo in posting. I meant Gish when I said Theurge. So err closer to the arrow pew pew side of the build, not the "I absolutely need casting of a 20 cleric" side. Sorry for any misunderstanding, I definitely appreciate the help and can still use a good bit of what Biffoniacus suggested.

Raxxius
2017-04-15, 03:18 PM
Much appreciation for the help, guys, but once again I made a booboo in posting. I meant Gish when I said Theurge. So err closer to the arrow pew pew side of the build, not the "I absolutely need casting of a 20 cleric" side. Sorry for any misunderstanding, I definitely appreciate the help and can still use a good bit of what Biffoniacus suggested.

Mystic Ranger taking archery style is more pew pew than spell spell. Full BAB delayed fighting style and accelerated (divine) spellcasting from level 1 up to level 4 spells.

Go for the cheese with sword of the arcane order for access to wizard spells for a very diverse bag of magical tricks. Not sure that fits your theme but the Mystic Ranger does sound like a catch all for you.

Buufreak
2017-04-15, 04:43 PM
Mystic Ranger taking archery style is more pew pew than spell spell. Full BAB delayed fighting style and accelerated (divine) spellcasting from level 1 up to level 4 spells.

Go for the cheese with sword of the arcane order for access to wizard spells for a very diverse bag of magical tricks. Not sure that fits your theme but the Mystic Ranger does sound like a catch all for you.

It just might. Is MR still using divine casting? And does sotao change it to arcane?

DEMON
2017-04-15, 05:19 PM
Ranger / Cloistered Cleric / Seeker of the Misty Isle would cover all the bases.

Of course, you can also make a powerful archer Cleric without any Ranger levels, thus keeping your Cleric CL higher.

Anthrowhale
2017-04-15, 05:41 PM
This build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21869355&postcount=21) might be close to what you want. It uses Archivist instead of Cleric to get plenty of domain access + access to some of the incredible ranged shot spells from Ranger which are persisted for all-day fun. Relative to BFs build there is less persistent spell but the spell selection is radically broader.

gorfnab
2017-04-15, 05:55 PM
How about Knight of the Raven (EtCR)?

DarkSoul
2017-04-15, 06:51 PM
Mystic Ranger taking archery style is more pew pew than spell spell. Full BAB delayed fighting style and accelerated (divine) spellcasting from level 1 up to level 4 level 5 spells.

Go for the cheese with sword of the arcane order for access to wizard spells for a very diverse bag of magical tricks. Not sure that fits your theme but the Mystic Ranger does sound like a catch all for you.Fixed. And yes, Mystic Ranger does feel very much like a divine archery gish. I also second whoever mentioned MR/Cleric/Seeker of the Misty Isle Farwalker of Solonor Thelandria.

It just might. Is MR still using divine casting? And does sotao change it to arcane?Yes, though the writeup doesn't specify that your caster level starts at equals your class level, even though your spellcasting starts at level 1, so that's something to clarify with your DM and/or establish. SotAO does not change any spells prepared in your paladin/ranger slots to arcane, they remain divine.

DEMON
2017-04-16, 11:33 AM
Seeker of the Misty Isle Farwalker of Solonor Thelandria.

A Seeker adapted to Solonor as patron deity, I presume?

DarkSoul
2017-04-16, 08:07 PM
A Seeker adapted to Solonor as patron deity, I presume?Exactly. Elf and War domains available and longbow as the favored weapon.