PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Rebuilding my Newest AL character around these items...

PeteNutButter
2017-04-15, 11:50 PM
My current AL character has a +1 Battle Axe and Gauntlets of Ogre Power, while he is only level 3.

How should I build this character?

I've been having fun theory-crafting how I could build the character around these items for the past couple weeks, and have come up with lots of stuff.

I'm looking to not necessarily make the most OP build, but perhaps to utilize the gloves to make a build that couldn't normally work, like using an unconventional race, or a MAD stat array. Although, nothing is off the table.

For example, last week I tried a Barbarian 1/Monk 2 lizardman who wore armor and a shield and could flurry double bite 2/times a short rest. When raging his attacks came out to 1d8+7 and 2d6+12 on a flurry of blows. The gauntlets made up for the lack of a racial boost to str (or dex) lizardmen suffer from, and the bite made up for some of the problems caused by monks wearing armor.

Remember, even though the gauntlets give you a 19 str, a 13 base is still required for MC paladin and barbarian. Fighters need 13 str or dex.

For those not familiar with Adventurer's League (AL) rules, it's 27 point buy that can use the PHB and one other published book, SCAG, Volos, EE. That's the gist of it, but there are other minor stipulations, like no flying races etc. The rules of the game allow you to freely rebuild your character until they reach level 5.
Thanks for your input and discussion.

Specter
2017-04-16, 12:47 AM
Half-Elf Valor Bard 3
ST13 (19 w/ gloves), DX14, CO14, IN10, WI11, CH16

A valor bard that has a high STR without needing to spend precious ASI on it is as happy as he could be. Of course this spread is assuming you want at least one fighter level, otherwise dump it hard.

PS: I'm not sure your monk could have flurried with armor before.

rooneg
2017-04-16, 05:39 AM
I find items like the Gauntlets work best for characters who care about the stat, but not enough to ever max it out via ASIs. The cannonical example is a Headband of Intellect on an Arcane Trickster Rogue. Sadly, there are few examples of a character who is secondary in STR. Maybe a Paladin who intends to multiclass into Sorcerer (and put ASIs into CHA and feats), or a Cleric who puts ASIs into WIS, but still wants to use a STR weapon (like a Battle Axe...).

PeteNutButter
2017-04-16, 08:16 AM
Half-Elf Valor Bard 3
ST13 (19 w/ gloves), DX14, CO14, IN10, WI11, CH16

A valor bard that has a high STR without needing to spend precious ASI on it is as happy as he could be. Of course this spread is assuming you want at least one fighter level, otherwise dump it hard.

PS: I'm not sure your monk could have flurried with armor before.

Thanks for the input. I was considering a caster class that dipped cleric 1 for heavy armor instead of fighter allowing more ASIs for stat spread.

You can totally flurry of blows while wearing armor or anything else. Wearing armor turns off the Martial arts feature which is the free bonus action attack and the improved die damage. The die is irrelevant since the race gives a d6, but the bonus action unarmed strike is a bit punishing.

Edit: As you go up in levels there are other features that don't work in armor such as the improved movement and arrow catching. The build would probably ideally leave monk after level 5 for stunning strikes and extra attack.

JAL_1138
2017-04-16, 08:46 AM
Paladin 2/ Valor Bard 18
Devotion Paladin 6/ Lore Bard 14
Ancients Paladin 7/ Lore Bard 13
Paladin 2/ Dragon Sorcerer 18
Devotion Paladin 6/ Dragon Sorcerer 14
Ancients Paladin 7/ Dragon Sorcerer 13

You don't strictly need a 20 in your main attack stat to be perfectly adequate--so long as you're not relying on the -5/+10 from GWM with no other way to offset the penalty, because the accuracy drop is too steep. A Paladin can offset it pretty decently, though--any Paladin could just Bless themselves, and Devotion Paladins have a Channel Divinity that gives them a bonus to attack rolls as well. Additionally, in League, you can effectively guarantee a +1 weapon via reaching Rank 3 in a faction and spending a little gold and downtime to just buy one, which also helps make up the difference in having a +4 mod instead of +5.

EDIT: WARNING—despite the temptation to put an 8 in Str, if multiclassing into a class with a Str requirement like Paladin, it'd be better to put a 13 into Str. Yes, it's effectively wasted, but your character doesn't suddenly become illegal due to inadequate stats if you lose your gauntlets or they get destroyed (which could happen) or happen not to be wearing them.

Naanomi
2017-04-16, 08:49 AM
It is a great item for frontline heavy-armor Clerics as well

Or a Barbarian looking to max unarmored AC: say a goblin with 8/16/16/8/14/12 or something?

rooneg
2017-04-16, 09:17 AM
EDIT: WARNING—despite the temptation to put an 8 in Str, if multiclassing into a class with a Str requirement like Paladin, it'd be better to put a 13 into Str. Yes, it's effectively wasted, but your character doesn't suddenly become illegal due to inadequate stats if you lose your gauntlets or they get destroyed (which could happen) or happen not to be wearing them.

Also don't forget the movement penalty for wearing heavy armor without a 15 Strength. I have a Deep Gnome with a Belt of Hill Giant Strength, and he's going to end up with a 15 STR after my next ASI, just because I don't want him to all of a sudden have a 15 movement if he gets stuck in an anti-magic field or something.

PeteNutButter
2017-04-16, 10:58 AM
Here's some ideas I have so far:
6, 16, 15, 10, 15, 8
Take Ranger to 5 Beastmaster, then dip 1 cleric (heavy armor), go to fighter for 4 levels, then back cleric Ride the pet, with a -2 str kobolds aren't likely to be using lances typically. Pack tactics will be great since we are running TYP which is all dungeons making sunlight sensitivity mostly a non issue. From levels 5-8 with Dueling FS lance attacks with a +1 lance would be +8 to hit and deal 1d12+7 damage. Horde Breaker works well with the high base damage if you prefer to just use store bought mounts. By mid level you could just have a pack of riding dogs, but might want mounted combatant in this case to keep the mount up. If feeling extra cheesy, consider DW feat, but war cleric would give a few bonus action attacks and hunters mark makes it probably not worth it. Best to use ASIs on resilient con and wisdom, making you very tanky. If stuck in an antimagic field, the mount isn't slowed down by the 15 feet movement speed. AC by mid level should be 22, 18 from plate, 3 from +1 shield, 1 from defense FS from fighter levels. Proficient in all saves but int and cha.
8, 10, 16, 14, 16, 8
Pretty standard build for abjurer, just replacing the fighter w cleric. Take Warcaster to start. Just take the one cleric level, or 2 if tempest. Wade into combat using BB/GFB for melee. If really invested into the melee front, Haste + Polearm Master is effective at using a GFB, haste attack, triggering bonus action PAM attack. Shield staff would be optimal for holding the line, and goes well if you started life cleric.
13, 9, 16, 8, 14, 14
Haven't flushed out the details, but it could tank and smite and quicken and twin.
More to come...

Arcangel4774
2017-04-16, 12:34 PM
Shield master rogue makes good use of the gauntlets with that bonus action shove. Really has no use for the axe though.