PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Fine-tuning a couple Gestalt (POW) builds

JonathanPDX
2017-04-16, 05:34 AM
I've been playing in a Skull and Shackles group that is a lot of fun but the party composition changes a bit each session. My support character is great when the rogues show up but I need a backup character who can be the primary damage dealer. I came up with two builds that I like and I could use some feedback and suggestions to fine tune them. It's a pretty loose, high-powered group but the DM is really ramping up the bosses to keep up with us, so I want my characters to be effective in that environment.

6th level Gestalt Zealot / Psion (egoist)
Race: Half Orc
STR: 18
DEX: 12
CON: 14
INT: 18
WIS: 14
CHR: 18

AC 26: 10 (base) +10 (plate) +1 (dex) +4 (stance) +1 (ring)

Attack (Greatsword): +12, 4D6+13
+6 (BAB) +4 (STR) +1 (magic) +1 (focus)
2D6 +2D6 (stance) +6 (power attack) +6 (STR) +1 (magic)

Combat with Metamorphosis:
Size Huge (15’ reach), 22 AC, +12, 6D6+19

Feats:
*Diehard
*Alertness (Psicrystal)
1 Power Attack
*1 Improved Metamorphosis
3 Furious Focus ??
5 Swift Shapeshifter
*5 Master Of All Forms

Conviction:
2 Impulsive Reactions
4 Personality Fragment
6 Weapon Focus (Greatsword) ??

Sense Motive +17: 6 (ranks) +3 (trained) +2 (stat) +2 (feat) +3 (crystal) +1 (item)

Stances Known:
Unbroken Stride (SG)
Battle Mantra (SG)
Elemental Flux Stance

Maneuvers:
1: Warden’s Bearing (Boost, EG), Body of Delusion (SG), Red Zephyr’s Strike (Strike, ST), Eldritch Shield (Counter, EF)
2: Rising Zenith Strike (Strike, ST), Regal Blade (Boost, ST)
3: Chains of Doubt (Strike, SG), Strike of Defeat (Strike, ST)

Traits:
(Adopted: Halfling) Helpful
Unorthodox Method - Elemental Flux
Half-orc racials: +1 conviction (favored class), sacred tattoo (+1 all saves), Skilled, Intimidating

Gear:
+1 Full Plate
+1 Greatsword
Cracked Dark Blue Rhomboid Ioun Stone
Cloak of Resistance +1
Ring of Protection +1
Psicrystal: Sympathetic

The concept here is pretty simple: Get really big and hit things for a ton of damage! I'm a tough pirate captain full of swagger who goes full Hulk when the fighting starts. The primary plan is to use Rising Zenith Strike as much as possible, usually while size Huge. My reflex save is poor but otherwise I'm pretty tough and full "caster" levels as a psion provide a lot of utility.

My questions:
1. I have one Conviction and one feat that I penciled in as Weapon and Furious Focus because my attack rolls are not great and I expect to see some really high AC. However, I could swap one out for another psionic feat, and the second for Psionic Body. 12 HP isn't a bad return. Or I could take Psionic Body and Discipline Focus for even more damage. Any suggestions on alternatives for these two slots, or other ways to keep my attack bonus high enough to hit fully buffed enemies?
2. Sense Motive is key for Scarlet Throne strikes, are there any other easy ways to boost it? I'm not sure if using a discipline weapon gives +2 here since it says that is only for the "DC of the maneuver." Can anyone confirm exactly what my total bonus would be?
3. I am calculating power points only from my Psion levels, stat bonus, and Sleeping Goddess bonus. I don't get any bonus points from my Zealot side, do I?

6th level Gestalt Mystic (Aurora Soul) / Rogue (Unchained)
Race: Undine

STR: 10
DEX: 20
CON: 16
INT: 14
WIS: 20
CHR: 11

AC 28 = 10 + 5 (dex) + 2 (insight) +1 (armor) +4 (dodge) +1 (deflection) +5 (WIS, combat only)

Attacks
Base: +10, 1D6 (base) + 2D6 (stance) +5 (dex) +1 (magic) +2 (feat)
Nonlethal sneak attack:
+10, 1D6 (base) + 2D6 (stance) +5 (dex) +1 (magic) +2 (feat) +6D6 (sneak) +12 (sap adept) +6 (knockout artist)
Total: 9D6+26 nonlethal damage

Feats:
*Improved Unarmed Strike
*Greater Unarmed Strike
*Weapon Finesse (unarmed)
1: Flowing Mithral Fist
*2: Sap Adept (rogue talent)
3: Discipline Focus: Mithral Current
*4: Quick Draw (rogue talent)
5: Knockout Artist
*6: Sap Master (rogue talent)

Stances (2 of 3):
Ready the Draw (MC, 1)
Elemental Flux Stance (EF)

Maneuvers marked with ** make the target flat footed.
1st (6):
Swift Current (Strike, MC) **
Dimensional Strike (Strike, VM) **
Hunting Serpent Blow (Strike, SS) **
Offensive Roll (Strike, TD) **
Minute Hand (Boost, RH)
Fluctuation Movement (Boost, EF)

2nd (3): Need to cut 1
Bronze Knuckle (Boost, BB)
Elemental Strike (Strike, EF)
Rapid Strike (Strike, RH)
Counter Step (Counter, BB)

3rd (3): Need to cut 1
Rippling Current (Strike, MC) **
Sight Piercing Fang (Strike, SS)
Night’s Knife (Boost, SS)
Probability Twist (Boost, RH)

Gear:
Amulet of Mighty Fists +1
Headband of Inspired Wisdom +2
Bracers of Armor +1
Ring of Protection +1

This character is really straightforward: Make nonlethal sneak attacks with my fists for a stupid ton of bonus damage. I'm a first mate who knocks people out and lets the captain decide what to do with them. I focused on Mithral Current maneuvers because that gives the most options to force the target to be flat footed even if I'm not flanking. A few questions:
1. Is there a better feat than Discipline Focus? My damage is already high, maybe Weapon Focus? Enforcer fits the theme but with my low charisma I am not going to have enough bonus to invest a feat in it. Next level I do get WIS to hit and damage so that will help a bit with the low BAB.
2. Am I missing any other tricks to maximize this concept? I know a Merciful amulet would add damage but I'm more concerned with my to hit bonus.
3. I'm struggling a bit selecting maneuvers. I think I'll mostly ready strikes so I can machine-gun them but I'm having a bit of trouble picking the right boosts to go with them, and how many of each to ready.

By the way, both characters are calculated in Elemental Flux (Air) stance, which seems to be the absolute best for 6th level. Oh, and stats were rolled, hence the weird and often high numbers.

Any advice or ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

legomaster00156
2017-04-16, 10:06 AM
Have you considered, instead of Rogue, a Guru? After all, nonlethal combat is kind of their thing.

JonathanPDX
2017-04-16, 02:49 PM
Have you considered, instead of Rogue, a Guru? After all, nonlethal combat is kind of their thing.

I'm not familiar with the Guru, is that a 3.5 class? We're playing with Pathfinder rules, most things are allowed if they are on http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

legomaster00156
2017-04-16, 03:03 PM
No, it's a class from DSP's Akashic Mysteries (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190611/Akashic-Mysteries). I understand the subsystem is based on 3.5's Magic of Incarnum.