PDA

View Full Version : Sheldon Cooper vs Niles Crane

An Enemy Spy
2017-04-16, 09:53 AM
Sheldon Cooper (https://youtu.be/Gn_8Mx6CWXI?t=1m2s) fighting Niles Crane (https://youtu.be/L_nvuVey2TQ?t=1m14s) in a no holds barred cage match to the death. No weapons or allies are allowed. Who wins?

The Glyphstone
2017-04-16, 10:01 AM
Knowing slightly more of Sheldon (sadly) than I do of Niles (none), I'd give the round to Sheldon. He can be extremely aggressive at times, it just takes a lot of stress to push him into it. I can't see someone who topples backwards and collapses from a fingerpoke to be capable of even attempting actual physical harm on another person.

An Enemy Spy
2017-04-16, 10:07 AM
Knowing slightly more of Sheldon (sadly) than I do of Niles (none), I'd give the round to Sheldon. He can be extremely aggressive at times, it just takes a lot of stress to push him into it. I can't see someone who topples backwards and collapses from a fingerpoke to be capable of even attempting actual physical harm on another person.

To give context to that scene, Niles intentionally threw himself backwards so they could threaten the guy with a countersuit after he was going to sue Frasier.

Donnadogsoth
2017-04-16, 10:16 AM
Sheldon Cooper (https://youtu.be/Gn_8Mx6CWXI?t=1m2s) fighting Niles Crane (https://youtu.be/L_nvuVey2TQ?t=1m14s) in a no holds barred cage match to the death. No weapons or allies are allowed. Who wins?

What are they fighting about?

An Enemy Spy
2017-04-16, 10:27 AM
What are they fighting about?

The winner gets free tickets to Comicon/Mongolian Throat Singing Concert.

Red Fel
2017-04-16, 10:28 AM
I'm going to give this to Cooper over Crane, for fairly simple reasons.

Let's break it down, shall we? Both are gangly, physically awkward, highly intelligent men.

But Cooper is vindictive, agressive, manipulative, conniving, and has demonstrated (in recent seasons) a greater willingness to leave his comfort zone. By contrast, the younger Crane is shy, craven, and more willing to "fight" by deliberately losing to make the other person look the aggressor.

Both are farcically egotistical. But where Crane's ego is easily deflated, leaving him a broken man (which is basically his default setting, given his nearly-programmed submissiveness), Cooper's ego borders on (and frequently overflows into) delusion, convincing him that he is capable of things that he really isn't, purely on the basis of his intellect. So while Crane would buckle quickly, Cooper would see that as victory and press harder.

Of course, it would inevitably consist of, if at all, a brief childish slapping fight. Because come on.

scalyfreak
2017-04-16, 10:29 AM

Then obviously Sheldon. Niles would throw the fight in horror to try and avoid that.

Dienekes
2017-04-16, 10:33 AM
Anyone else want to see Al Bundy fight the winner?

An Enemy Spy
2017-04-16, 10:36 AM
Then obviously Sheldon. Niles would throw the fight in horror to try and avoid that.

Niles loves Mongolian Throat Singing. There's a whole episode where he and Frasier are trying to get out of walking the dog so they can go see the concert.

scalyfreak
2017-04-16, 10:47 AM
Niles loves Mongolian Throat Singing. There's a whole episode where he and Frasier are trying to get out of walking the dog so they can go see the concert.

I actually missed that when I posted my reply, and then felt too embarrassed to go back and correct it... :smallredface:

There is a lesson to be learned here: Do not post before coffee!

Donnadogsoth
2017-04-16, 12:45 PM

As amusing as that is, I cannot imagine them fighting to the death. They may be aesthetes in their own way but they are not killers. How about crying "Uncle"?

Strigon
2017-04-16, 01:00 PM
Niles.
We've seen Niles fight before, and he's not half-bad.

Granted, it was fencing, but he held his own against a fencing instructor for a while, and seemed far more willing to both risk injury and fight underhandedly than Sheldon.
Of course, IIRC, both of them have fainted at the sight of blood, so a brutal fight it would not be, but Niles has proved himself far more willing to get down and dirty than Sheldon.

Kitten Champion
2017-04-16, 01:21 PM
Niles.
We've seen Niles fight before, and he's not half-bad.

Granted, it was fencing, but he held his own against a fencing instructor for a while, and seemed far more willing to both risk injury and fight underhandedly than Sheldon.
Of course, IIRC, both of them have fainted at the sight of blood, so a brutal fight it would not be, but Niles has proved himself far more willing to get down and dirty than Sheldon.

I am inclined towards Niles for this reason, as he's displayed some physical acumen when pressed and does routinely exercise -- in his own fashion. Cooper is more sedentary overall and as far as I'm aware is just above slap-fighting territory.

Otherwise, I'd just go with the physically larger person. Which is Parsons in this scenario I believe.

Strigon
2017-04-16, 03:20 PM
I am inclined towards Niles for this reason, as he's displayed some physical acumen when pressed and does routinely exercise -- in his own fashion. Cooper is more sedentary overall and as far as I'm aware is just above slap-fighting territory.

Otherwise, I'd just go with the physically larger person. Which is Parsons in this scenario I believe.

Oh, wait, I forgot another reason you just reminded me of!
Niles practices Kickboxing; he's a yellow belt, and he is actually seen roundhouse kicking Daphne hard enough to make her break her wrist in the fall. That alone puts him well above anything Sheldon has ever been shown to do.

Rodin
2017-04-17, 06:37 AM
I'm not sure I care who wins, I just want to see it. It'd be like that fight between Hugh Grant and Colin Firth in Bridget Jones Diary.

No brains
2017-05-30, 03:34 PM
Whoever wins, we lose. That tagline is the only good thing to come out of the AVP movies.

FreddyNoNose
2017-06-15, 07:32 PM
IMO Sheldon would win. Afterwards, Frasier would remind Niles that Living well is the best revenge.

Piedmon_Sama
2017-06-15, 07:38 PM
Niles chokes that smarmy little STEM major out in round one.

FreddyNoNose
2017-06-15, 08:35 PM
Niles chokes that smarmy little STEM major out in round one.

Frasier: You know Niles, perhaps we could illicit the help of one of dad's old cop buddy's to take care of the matter.
Niles: Yes Frasier, one of those who won't play by the rule book.
Frasier: Let's head down to McGinty's and buy a round or two.
Nile: But first let's stop off at the rare button auction.................

Strigon
2017-06-15, 09:12 PM
IMO Sheldon would win. Afterwards, Frasier would remind Niles that Living well is the best revenge.

A wonderful expression, but I don't know how true it is. You don't see it turning up in a lot of opera plots.
"Ludwig, maddened by the poisoning of his entire family, wreaks vengeance on Gunther in the third act by living well."

veti
2017-06-15, 09:18 PM
I'm having a lot of trouble imagining the circumstances in which they'd both for a moment entertain the idea of - well - fighting.

In a spontaneous fight, I'd back Niles. He does at least have a physical side, and Sheldon would simply be so far out of his comfort zone that he would fold pretty much immediately (and spend the rest of the episode trying to arrange a rematch).

Which brings us to the rematch. If Sheldon has time to prepare, then I suspect he's capable of skulduggery such as "surreptitiously palming a taser" - which Niles would not see coming.

Peelee
2017-06-15, 10:30 PM
A wonderful expression, but I don't know how true it is. You don't see it turning up in a lot of opera plots.
"Ludwig, maddened by the poisoning of his entire family, wreaks vengeance on Gunther in the third act by living well."

How true it is and how entertaining it is are not mutually exclusive.

Anyway, my money's on Niles. Partly because I love his show, and hate the other's show.

Olinser
2017-06-15, 11:15 PM
Probably Niles given that he has on a couple occasions been willing to actually engage in physical violence (brick through the window, actual fencing match).

gooddragon1
2017-06-15, 11:23 PM
From another post on this thread we can see that Niles is below street level, but above commoner level.
He has a striking feat where he caused a broken wrist.
He has speed feats at least equal to Sheldon.
He has more combat experience.
His intelligence feats aren't as impressive, but there's not much for Sheldon to work with here.

I'd give this to Niles 9/10 or 10/10 as a stomp if morals off and bloodlusted. Otherwise uncertain.

FreddyNoNose
2017-06-15, 11:39 PM

All right, Niles.