PDA

View Full Version : Making money as a lvl 9 druid

Duke of Nowhere
2017-04-16, 10:08 AM
I came up with this idea after reading volo guide on the new elementals

1.Start with plant growth to over grow the plants in a 300' area

2. Then Conjure elemental to at CR 3 level from fire, poof Flail snail - read the text on flail snail for more info

3. Farm glass.

4. (optional) To speed collection you might be able to incorporate the spell move earth

Repeat with another plant growth until summon ends

In case you didn't notice lvl 9 is also when you start to need lots of money for another spell - awaken

LudicSavant
2017-04-16, 10:48 AM
Casting Plant Growth's "1 year" version on its own has considerable economic value, doubling the value of the land it's cast on (or more, since it's more output over a smaller area). A single druid can feed a nation. Presumably someone would be willing to cut them a check.

StorytellerHero
2017-04-16, 11:30 AM
I'd argue that a level 9 druid could make much more income in a shorter amount of time (and far more actual demand) with Transmute Rock, which could be used for construction and mining.

Potato_Priest
2017-04-16, 11:34 AM
I'd argue that a level 9 druid could make much more income in a shorter amount of time (and far more actual demand) with Transmute Rock, which could be used for construction and mining.

Wall of stone is also great for speedy construction.

Citan
2017-04-16, 12:01 PM
Or you could be a borderline Evil Druid by concluding a contract with a small village of famished people in a desertic region, so they work various tasks for you in exchange for the insurance of being fed each day (Goodberries)... Or just sell the damn things a few gold pieces in any place that has great difficulties providing food in general. XD

But really a Druid with his large selection of versatile spells has many ways to earn money.
Need for fast construction (lack of primary resource or competent people, or just strenghten defenses against external threat)? Wall of Stone made permanent works well. ;)

Camman1984
2017-04-16, 01:00 PM
This is just sickening, does nobody just go round murdering creatures for their stuff any more? what is the world coming to, in my day if you wanted a bag if gold you had to bust open the heads of a few drow first.

GPS
2017-04-16, 03:04 PM
Easiest way for a druid to make money is their conjuration spells. Use Conjure Woodland Beings to conjure 8 pixies and force them to let you steal their dust. The big advantage with lower level conjures is that you can do whatever you want with the conjured creature, including stealing a pixie's dust. Mages pay big money for the dust, according to flavor, so if you have access to pixie dust you have plenty of money.

Pex
2017-04-16, 07:14 PM
Wildshape into a cow.

Sell your own milk.

Ew.

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-16, 07:18 PM
Or you could just get bears to intimidate/eat people and take their things. Maybe combine it with the other ideas so instead of selling your services for a lump sum you take a portion of the profits for a certain number of years. And if they don't pay, bears.

joaber
2017-04-16, 08:55 PM
Wildshape into a cow.

Sell your own milk.

Ew.

Vegan milk. Nice market.

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-16, 09:06 PM
Wildshape into a cow.

Sell your own milk.

Ew.

You know I was going to bring up the question of using polymorph antics to turn useless NPCs into cows, but it occurs to me, cows only make milk when pregnant, so...

Sigreid
2017-04-16, 09:12 PM
There's always charging for healing. Been lucrative for as long as people had things to trade. So Mr. Mayor, how much is it worth to your town for me to put an end to this plague?

Mortis_Elrod
2017-04-16, 09:37 PM
There's always charging for healing. Been lucrative for as long as people had things to trade. So Mr. Mayor, how much is it worth to your town for me to put an end to this plague?

better if you use insect plague before hand along with a few levels of sorcerer for subtle spell contagion. come in the nights before, release the locusts, turn into a mouse, follow the people hit and give them flesh rot or something when they sleep, leave and come in morning as a wandering druid following an 'outbreak' and charge for services.

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-16, 09:42 PM
better if you use insect plague before hand along with a few levels of sorcerer for subtle spell contagion. come in the nights before, release the locusts, turn into a mouse, follow the people hit and give them flesh rot or something when they sleep, leave and come in morning as a wandering druid following an 'outbreak' and charge for services.

With how many people I know of afraid of insects you could probably just avoid the hard work and run around casting Insect Plague all over the place while screaming 'PAY ME MONEY TO GO AWAY' and people would just throw money at you.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-04-16, 10:16 PM
With how many people I know of afraid of insects you could probably just avoid the hard work and run around casting Insect Plague all over the place while screaming 'PAY ME MONEY TO GO AWAY' and people would just throw money at you.

i agree. DIE INSECTS. is usually my first response. The second is to kill it with fire, before it BREEDS.

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-16, 10:18 PM
i agree. DIE INSECTS. is usually my first response. The second is to kill it with fire, before it BREEDS.

I don't mind insects, especially spiders. They eat mosquitoes, so they can share my space.

I guess the approach one should take (yelling and flailing versus actual human interaction) should depend on the druid's charisma score.

Sigreid
2017-04-16, 11:02 PM

I was planning on sticking to neutral "If you don't feel like paying, that's ok. I'm sure some of you will survive." as opposed to the more evil "I wonder how many of them I will kill before they are ready to pay?".

Mortis_Elrod
2017-04-16, 11:14 PM
I was planning on sticking to neutral "If you don't feel like paying, that's ok. I'm sure some of you will survive." as opposed to the more evil "I wonder how many of them I will kill before they are ready to pay?".

i mean, you were never going to really let them all die, they just need an incentive.

is how i justify to my dm. works about as often as sex panther.

Sigreid
2017-04-16, 11:19 PM
i mean, you were never going to really let them all die, they just need an incentive.

is how i justify to my dm. works about as often as sex panther.

Ah, I see. I don't do idle threats (even if the victim isn't aware that I'm the one actually threatening them). If I were to cause a plague to extort money and they chose not to pay, I would set about ensuring the plague is devastating.

A naturally occurring plague, on the other hand, I view it as nature can either run it's course, or they can pay me to change nature's mind on the topic. Either way, I'm not causing them any harm at all.

Mortis_Elrod
2017-04-16, 11:52 PM
Ah, I see. I don't do idle threats (even if the victim isn't aware that I'm the one actually threatening them). If I were to cause a plague to extort money and they chose not to pay, I would set about ensuring the plague is devastating.

A naturally occurring plague, on the other hand, I view it as nature can either run it's course, or they can pay me to change nature's mind on the topic. Either way, I'm not causing them any harm at all.

Well, it doesn't have to kill them to be devastating. Maybe horribly disfigure, maybe destroy the harvest, maybe both and cause madness. Killing is so final. Suffering is just as good if not better, because i can heal them just enough to suffer more.

RickAllison
2017-04-17, 12:20 AM
Well, it doesn't have to kill them to be devastating. Maybe horribly disfigure, maybe destroy the harvest, maybe both and cause madness. Killing is so final. Suffering is just as good if not better, because i can heal them just enough to suffer more.

So send in a horrible plague to destroy their crops and their stockpiles of food for not paying you, then charge exorbitant fees for your Goodberries and gruel from Create Food and Water. Or poison the wells and charge for your pure water. Pull double duty on the money front!

Dr. Cliché
2017-04-17, 07:40 AM
You could always wild shape into a donkey and charge people to ride you. :smallbiggrin:

daltonispanda
2017-04-17, 02:53 PM
What about just taking the Flail Snail's shell? "One intact shell can sell for 5,000 gp."

hymer
2017-04-17, 02:58 PM
cows only make milk when pregnant

I believe you may want to think about that one again... :smallconfused:

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-17, 03:03 PM
I believe you may want to think about that one again... :smallconfused:

Okay, shortly after birth as well, but either option requires a Minotaur situation with the druid taking the place of Pasiphae. Sorta an issue with the whole plan I think.

hymer
2017-04-17, 03:11 PM
Okay, shortly after birth as well, but either option requires a Minotaur situation with the druid taking the place of Pasiphae. Sorta an issue with the whole plan I think.

Where do you think milk in the supermarket comes from? :smalleek:

Edit: And they don't lactate while pregnant, except perhaps the last few weeks or so. If this is surprising to you, I suggest never researching where eggs come from. :smalltongue:

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-17, 03:16 PM
Where do you think milk in the supermarket comes from? :smalleek:

NOT FROM ME HAVING SEX WITH A COW I DAMN WELL HOPE. I think I would have noticed that!

Also, Wikipedia indicates that they might produce milk during the pregnancy, which would make some sense given they are breed for the purpose of milk.

hymer
2017-04-17, 03:24 PM
NOT FROM ME HAVING SEX WITH A COW I DAMN WELL HOPE. I think I would have noticed that!

Well... I best not say any more. Enjoy your milk, though!

@ the thread in general:

This is just sickening, does nobody just go round murdering creatures for their stuff any more? what is the world coming to, in my day if you wanted a bag if gold you had to bust open the heads of a few drow first.

I agree with this sentiment. The best way to earn money is to take it out of the pockets and coffers of your dead foes. In my view, a druid doing any sort of real business should be very careful of upsetting existing economic and social structures. Give the baron's crops a boost, put freeholders out of business, e.g.

Sigreid
2017-04-17, 05:00 PM
You could always wild shape into a donkey and charge people to ride you. :smallbiggrin:

I've heard to many claims of a woman in Mexico to not be horrified by this statement...

Tanarii
2017-04-17, 05:50 PM
Seriously. Given a level 9 Druid will earn 900+ GP, and gain 1/2 a level to boot, in a single adventuring day ... :smallamused:

furby076
2017-04-17, 09:33 PM
I came up with this idea after reading volo guide on the new elementals

1.Start with plant growth to over grow the plants in a 300' area

2. Then Conjure elemental to at CR 3 level from fire, poof Flail snail - read the text on flail snail for more info

3. Farm glass.

4. (optional) To speed collection you might be able to incorporate the spell move earth

Repeat with another plant growth until summon ends

In case you didn't notice lvl 9 is also when you start to need lots of money for another spell - awaken

Great, so now you are in sourcing work from other planes, while the poor people of the prime material planes are jobless, and cant even afford to buy the food you are selling. Wow, you are just another vile 1 percenter who only cares about the bottom line. Those imported workers better have their papers in order

RickAllison
2017-04-17, 10:10 PM
Seriously. Given a level 9 Druid will earn 900+ GP, and gain 1/2 a level to boot, in a single adventuring day ... :smallamused:

Wizards are where the money is at, though they are more profitable if they have a nice base. Once a wizard has a little over 4000 gp, they can fairly consistently gain 3500 (or more) per day at level 7 by more conservative metrics. More likely, they can be making 7000 gp per day from a few hundred. But at that point, most of what can be bought is already affordable. You can grab a base of operations or a ship (starting up a shipping operation could be very profitable in the long run), but the adventurous benefits become smaller. You can hire scouts, scholars, and stuff, but that is just streamlining what you could already do.

Maxilian
2017-04-18, 02:53 PM
Wildshape into a cow.

Sell your own milk.

Ew.

Wildshape into a Giant Snake

Sell your own poison

Ew?

RickAllison
2017-04-18, 04:57 PM
Wildshape into a Giant Snake

Sell your own poison

Ew?

Wildshape into a Stench Kow.

Sell your aromatic compounds as a base for perfume.

C'est magnifique!

KorvinStarmast
2017-04-19, 01:53 PM
works about as often as sex panther. At the risk of me regretting asking this: what is sex panther?

What about just taking the Flail Snail's shell? "One intact shell can sell for 5,000 gp." Find the right market, and that's good money right there.

This is just sickening, does nobody just go round murdering creatures for their stuff any more? what is the world coming to, in my day if you wanted a bag if gold you had to bust open the heads of a few drow first. Yeah, and I can't seem to get them offa my lawn! :smallcool:
So send in a horrible plague to destroy their crops and their stockpiles of food for not paying you, then charge exorbitant fees for your Goodberries and gruel from Create Food and Water. Or poison the wells and charge for your pure water. Pull double duty on the money front! Are you selling shares in this enterprise? I have a VC and a lawyer who can draw up the partnership papers ...

I've heard too many claims of a woman in Mexico to not be horrified by this statement... It only needs to be seen once in a life time, if ever at all. (Oh, my misspent youth ... :smallyuk:)