PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Taming/training a fully grown wild animal

flamewolf393
2017-04-16, 12:52 PM
So I have a player that wants to tame wild animals he comes across. By RaW I can find dc's for raising a wild animal from a baby, or training a domesticated animal, but I cant find any rules for taming an already adult wild animal. How should I handle this? Obviously it should be quite a bit more difficult, but could still use some proper guidelines.

Ashtagon
2017-04-16, 12:58 PM
I'd allow a character who has Wild Empathy (druids and rangers in core) to attempt this. Anyone else, I'd assign a -10 penalty on the skill check (and assign additional penalties if the PC is "food size" for the animal). Not being the animal's parent-figure is a significant hindrance.

Fouredged Sword
2017-04-19, 08:06 AM
Eh, people do this in real life. Breaking in wild horses is a thing you can do if you have time and a tolerance for being thrown off it's back more than a few times. +10 to the DC of rearing it from youth sounds about right, with a modifier of +-10 for pack or herd animals vs solitary hunters.

One can tame a horse, one can tame a wolf, but a tiger is merely waiting for the ideal time to eat the useful prey.