PDA

View Full Version : How is the new MST3K?

digiman619
2017-04-16, 01:33 PM
So I hear the new MST3K series is out. I don't have netflix (my internet connection isn't steady enough for streaming). How many episodes are out and are they any good?

Pex
2017-04-16, 02:02 PM
It's the whole first season, 13 episodes I think as standard for Netflix. I only saw the first episode so far. For now I have to get use to it. It's the same but different. They went old school with the invention exchange and fan letters. I can appreciate why they did that, yet I can't help but feel they should't. It could just be a me thing. I don't know how I'd feel if they didn't do that and whether I would then have wanted them to. They stopped doing that with Mike Nelson, so I had gotten use to it. There was a musical number as usual even Mike Nelson has done many times, but that is when I thought they were trying too hard. There were so many props the overall episode felt like they were marking off a checklist.

It is on me to get used to the new robot voices. That can't be helped, but I don't like the new gimmick of Tom Servo flying in the theater. It's a distraction. Visual jokes work in the skits. In the theater the funny is in the audio. I will have a hard time getting used to new Gypsy, both in her voice and new gimmick of hanging from the ceiling.

tschel23
2017-04-16, 02:07 PM
While I haven't seen it yet, I too am curious about it.

Kato
2017-04-16, 04:20 PM
Did you mean cinemasins? :smalltongue:

No, more seriously : I didn't know there was a new one. I guess I need to give it a try.

Dorath
2017-04-16, 06:03 PM
The first episode was ok, but not great. The second is excellent.

Pex
2017-04-16, 07:07 PM
The first episode was ok, but not great. The second is excellent.

The cameo of Mrs. Forrester, Brain Guy, and Bobo give a nod of approval for continuation.

So far I'm not finding Jonah funny. Not boring, just not funny. In the theater I get it the whole point is the jokes and not the movie, but they just wouldn't shut up. It was one joke after another and another you didn't have time to laugh before they went on to the next one. I remain convinced they're trying too hard.

JoshL
2017-04-17, 09:48 AM
I'm about 5 episodes in and loving it. My only complaint is not enough Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt, but since the movies are the point, that's to be expected. Getting used to Jonah, but it took me a while to get used to Mike too.

All that said, they do Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 1 and 2. 2 is one of my favorite bad fantasy films, so this makes me unbelievably happy! I have not skipped ahead to those episodes, and that is taking all of my self control!

Pex
2017-04-17, 11:24 PM
I notice they're giving in jokes shout outs referencing famous jokes of the past. In the third episode they reference "It stinks!" from Pod People, my favorite MST3K episode.

Otomodachi
2017-04-18, 05:23 PM
Found it really entertaining; Felicia Day is the only person on the cast I was ambivalent towards, and she actually nails it here. My only complaint is the re-worked theme song, the lyrics are great but the actual music isn't as fun as the old style.

Pex
2017-04-21, 08:44 AM
It was fun watching "Avalanche". I remember seeing it on tv as kid. I was really into disaster movies back then. "Earthquake", "Towering Inferno", "Poseidon Adventure", etc. I was excited about "Avalanche" because it was a disaster shtick I hadn't seen. I was too young to fully understand all the drama, but I liked the movie. I still don't find it so terrible.

However,

I am most definitely not watching the show to watch Felicia Day and Neil Patrick Harris sing. That was stupid and irrelevant. Fortunately I was able to skip over that on my computer.

So far I'm ambivalent about the skits. Not that I laughed at everything Joel or Mike did, but I find it hard to chuckle. I know Felicia Day has a cult following, but I only know her from "Eureka". I liked her in that, but here she's "eh". Patton Oswalt I normally find funny, but here I haven't laughed yet. I'm still not finding Jonah funny. I guess I'm just watching the show because I watched the original. I don't hate it, but three episodes in and I'm not loving it. I'm not going to stop watching it for now, but I'm doubtful I'll be enthused about it the way it's going.

Giggling Ghast
2017-04-27, 12:26 AM
Is it bad to root for the villain in Wizards of the Lost Kingdom? He's kind of a creepy pervert, but the hero is a frickin' idiot. And that stupid furry monster is useless!

Euclidodese
2017-04-27, 07:28 AM
Way too nervous to watch it, it would crush me if it wasn't good, and I think I'll ruin my own experience of it by being too critical anyway...

Pex
2017-04-27, 11:23 AM
Jerry Seinfeld? Jerry Seinfeld?!

Now I know they're trying too hard. I was forgiving of Wil Wheaton and Erin Gray in the pilot. I like Erin Gray too much to be bothered. Imprinted childhood hero. I gagged at Neil Patrick Harris but moved on. Enough already with the celebrity cameos! I don't care if Patton Oswalt has connections. They aren't needed to get the old audience. If they can't keep the old audience or attract new ones based on the show itself then let the show go bye-bye and leave us with our fond memories thanks, sincerely, for trying.

JoshL
2017-04-27, 06:39 PM
I haven't seen the cameos so much as trying to win new fans, but rather as actors who are fans and wanted to be a part of it. Doesn't bother me at all, and my reaction to NPH was completely opposite of yours, but mostly because I really love Felicia Day singing and any opportunity to have more of that makes me happy. And on the other side, Har Mar Superstar has always bothered me a little. The guy can sing really well, but just something overly bland about him (maybe I'd prefer less talent but more character? dunno.) Anyway, different tastes, sorry you're not liking it as much as I am.

Two episodes to go, still enjoying it very much. Despite the new gimmicks, it's feeling more like Joel than Mike (makes sense, given that Joel is directing), and I'm warming to Jonah a bit. There's a little more crude/toilet humor than I'd really like, but not so much it ruins the whole thing for me. And WotLK2 is still an amazing movie and was well worth the wait!

Bohandas
2017-04-27, 11:34 PM
What I've seen seems basically the same as the old MST3K

Bohandas
2017-05-20, 12:01 PM
Has anyone else noticed the implication that the robots apparently are tacitly part of the experiment? Young Dr.Forrester apparently has more or less direct access to the Satellite of Love and hasn't removed them.

Dorath
2017-05-21, 08:11 AM
The Forrester's are direct descendants of the Flintstones. Why else would Kinga copy Wilma's hairstyle.

KerfuffleMach2
2017-05-24, 07:08 PM
If you liked the original, odds are very good that you'll enjoy this one. Might not like it more, but you'll still like it. It feels very similar to the original, but different enough to be its own set of episodes.