PDA

View Full Version : can you use arcane prestige classes as manifesting?

death390
2017-04-16, 08:04 PM
Honest question. i have been looking through several of the psionic prestige classes and was wondering if there is a RAW way to make Shadowcraft mage apply for psionics or if it would have to be house rule.

i love the theme of SCM and it would fit the character (Erudite 7) but the fact that it is arcane prestige class just makes it unusable.

heck would it even be a bad idea to allow casters into prestige classes that they normally wouldn't because of type differences? i could see a Abjurant Champion Favored soul, Nightmare spinnner cleric of Wee jas, Unseen seer coistered cleric, or pretty much any divine PrC with Divine mind class. These are all great thematic ideas i have had but never implemented due to type limitations for classes.

Venger
2017-04-16, 08:15 PM
Honest question. i have been looking through several of the psionic prestige classes and was wondering if there is a RAW way to make Shadowcraft mage apply for psionics or if it would have to be house rule.

i love the theme of SCM and it would fit the character (Erudite 7) but the fact that it is arcane prestige class just makes it unusable.

heck would it even be a bad idea to allow casters into prestige classes that they normally wouldn't because of type differences? i could see a Abjurant Champion Favored soul, Nightmare spinnner cleric of Wee jas, Unseen seer coistered cleric, or pretty much any divine PrC with Divine mind class. These are all great thematic ideas i have had but never implemented due to type limitations for classes.

there arent' a lot of psionic prestige classes. it says "if you like a class, just say you can get in there as a psionic guy"

it's not too hard, just change +casting to +manifesting, like with psionic trickster.

it's not a terrible idea, and it lets your players save a feat on southern magician. go for it.

Epic Legand
2017-04-16, 08:24 PM
Honestly I was just thinking about the same thing, almost. I wanted to use an arcane class as entry for a Psionic prestige class. Crunch wise its not to hard, fluff is even easier. But is it unbalanced ?

death390
2017-04-17, 04:06 AM
i honestly agree that it probably wouldn't break the game to allow it, but the question is could it be RAW legal? i mean are there any rules for allowing for alterations without DM intervention?

Inevitability
2017-04-17, 04:26 AM
i honestly agree that it probably wouldn't break the game to allow it, but the question is could it be RAW legal? i mean are there any rules for allowing for alterations without DM intervention?

A magic mantle ardent might qualify, but it requires a pretty uncommon rules interpretation.

Segev
2017-04-17, 09:42 AM
The answer to your question is that no, it is not legal under the RAW. That said, if your DM allows it, it probably isn't broken.

Troacctid
2017-04-17, 01:44 PM
Given that there are no psionic illusions of any kind, let alone of the shadow subschool, a Psionic Shadowcraft Mage seems pretty untenable.

Dagroth
2017-04-17, 01:52 PM
Given that there are no psionic illusions of any kind, let alone of the shadow subschool, a Psionic Shadowcraft Mage seems pretty untenable.

Which is so weird, considering hallucinations & otherwise confusing the senses are staples of psionic "lore".

Edit: Many Prestige Classes have "adaptations"... like adapting Ruby Knight Vindicator or Radiant Servant of Pelor for different deities. There are even a couple that specifically call out allowing Divine/Arcane swap and even a couple that specifically call out Spellcasting/Manifesting swap.

Troacctid
2017-04-17, 01:55 PM
Which is so weird, considering hallucinations & otherwise confusing the senses are staples of psionic "lore".
You can do that with psionics just fine. It's just telepathy, AKA enchantment.