PDA

View Full Version : Rust monster as an animal companion?

Stephen_E
2007-07-29, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know of a feat that allows abberations as an animal companion?
I know of ones that allow vermin and magical beasts.

The concept just came to me of a small druid riding a Rust monster animal companion/mount into combat. Since the druid can happily do without any metal he won't have to worry about it "accidentally" eating his own equipment, and he can probably control it well enough to stop it eating his companions equipment, so long as it gets fed bits of metal occasionally.

It only has animal int so that shouldn't be a problem.
It's relatively harmless against non-weapon wielding monsters, but is sheer terror against most weapon wielders.

Any help appreciated.

Stephen

MrNexx
2007-07-29, 11:51 AM
I would probably allow a feat which did this, BUT I would make it fairly specific, and the Rust Monster would have a pretty large modification to its effective level... it may not be tough, but it's got some power.

lukelightning
2007-07-29, 03:23 PM
Off the cuff I'd make an ad hoc "rusty companion" feat, and the rust monster would count as a "level -6" animal.

It's probably more useful for an NPC than a PC.

MrNexx
2007-07-29, 07:08 PM
Off the cuff I'd make an ad hoc "rusty companion" feat, and the rust monster would count as a "level -6" animal.

It's probably more useful for an NPC than a PC.

Sounds about right to me.

Darrin
2007-07-29, 07:56 PM
Does anyone know of a feat that allows abberations as an animal companion?

Leadership might work, allowing you to take a rust monster as a cohort. Not quite sure what the LA would be, but given the low Int, probably not that high.

Zincorium
2007-07-29, 08:05 PM
It'll be okay as long as none of the other PC's are expecting to get gear from the downed opponents...

Soon as the fighter sees the awesome full plate the BBEG is wearing turn to iron oxide in front of his eyes, and that silly little critter munching on what's left, you undoubtedly will be looking for a different animal companion.