PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Immortality (feat chain)

rferries
2017-04-16, 08:43 PM
Lonnnnnnnng time lurker but new poster here. Here's a little something to ease the first few levels of adventuring; it's maybe a bit high-magic for some campaigns, but the benefits are very limited beyond the start of an adventuring career, unless you invest in the rest of the chain.

Immortality [General]
You possess the gift of limited immortality - whether through divine ancestry, exposure to magic, or other means.

Benefit
You gain Regeneration 0. This works like standard regeneration save that you do not cure yourself of nonlethal damage at a fixed rate per round, and must heal any nonlethal damage you accrue through natural or magical healing. Furthermore, you take normal damage from magical weapons, weapons made from any special material (cold iron, adamantine, mithral, and the like), spells, and any form of energy damage.

You cannot regrow or reattach severed portions of your body.

You have no maximum age. Assuming you are not killed, your mental and physical ability scores will increase and decrease as normal for an individual of your race until you reach venerable age, but will not change thereafter.

You still need to eat, sleep, and breathe.

Special
This feat is typically taken at 1st level but encounters with powerful entities or forces may justify taking it at later levels, or even granting it as a bonus feat.

Improved Immortality [General]
As you have adventured, your supernatural longevity has developed into a miraculous recuperative capacity.

Prerequisites
Immortality, character level 6th.

Benefit
Your regeneration improves to Regeneration 5. You take normal damage from weapons that possess an alignment opposed to your own on either the Law-Chaos or Good-Evil axis (if your alignment is true neutral you take normal damage from magic weapons of any alignment), weapons made from one special material (chosen when you take this feat), spells, and three types of energy damage (chosen when you take this feat).

If you lose a limb or body part you can reattach it by holding the severed member to the stump. Reattachment takes 1 minute. If your head or some other vital organ is severed, it must be reattached within 10 minutes or you die. You cannot regrow lost body parts.

If you are of venerable age you ignore the physical ability score penalties associated with that age category (you retain the increased mental ability scores, as well as all bonuses and penalties from prior age categories).

You still need to eat, sleep, and breathe.

Greater Immortality [General]
Your vitality is nearing that of a divine or demoniac being.

Prerequisites
Immortality, Improved Immortality, character level 12th.

Benefit
Your regeneration improves to Regeneration 10. You take normal damage from weapons that possess an alignment opposed to your own on either the Law-Chaos or Good-Evil axis (if your alignment is true neutral you take normal damage from magic weapons of any alignment) and that are made of the special material you selected for Improved Immortality, spells, and two types of energy damage (chosen from the energy types you selected for Improved Immortality).

If you lose a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 days. You can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump. If your head or some other vital organ is severed, it must be reattached within 10 minutes or you die.

In addition to ignoring the penalties of venerable age, you ignore the penalties of the old age category as well.

You still need to sleep and breathe but do not need to eat.

True Immortality [General]
You immortal spark has fully blossomed, granting you eternal youth as well as eternal life.

Prerequisites
Immortality, Greater Immortality, Improved Immortality, character level 18th.

Benefit
Your regeneration improves to Regeneration 15. You take normal damage from weapons that possess an alignment opposed to your own on both the Law-Chaos and Good-Evil axis (if your alignment is true neutral you take normal damage from magic weapons of any extreme alignment i.e. lawful good, chaotic evil, lawful evil, or chaotic good) and that are made of the special material you selected for Improved Immortality, spells, and one type of energy damage (chosen from the energy types you selected for Greater Immortality).

If you lose a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 3d6 minutes. You can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump. If your head or some other vital organ is severed, you can survive indefinitely, though your combat ability may be severely impaired.

You ignore the ability score penalties of all age categories, though you retain the increases in your mental ability scores.

You no longer need to eat, sleep (though if you are a spellcaster you must still rest before preparing spells), or breathe.

Knaight
2017-04-16, 11:16 PM
It's a bit iffy. Immortality on its own is either a nigh useless flavor feat (most campaigns) or a borderline necessity (the few exceptions); there's a reason that the drastically expanded lifespans of elves and the like aren't really considered that important for balancing. Improved Immortality is really powerful, mostly because it makes getting killed straight off conditional on a handful of contexts and gives an incredible defense against anything else - particularly at 6th level, when resurrection is still pricey and comes with a level loss at best. The third and fourth provide marginal benefits (a slightly higher regeneration value), plus more of the nigh useless flavor feat that is occasionally effectively a feat tax.

rferries
2017-04-17, 04:06 AM
It's a bit iffy. Immortality on its own is either a nigh useless flavor feat (most campaigns) or a borderline necessity (the few exceptions); there's a reason that the drastically expanded lifespans of elves and the like aren't really considered that important for balancing. Improved Immortality is really powerful, mostly because it makes getting killed straight off conditional on a handful of contexts and gives an incredible defense against anything else - particularly at 6th level, when resurrection is still pricey and comes with a level loss at best. The third and fourth provide marginal benefits (a slightly higher regeneration value), plus more of the nigh useless flavor feat that is occasionally effectively a feat tax.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes I suppose it's ultimately somewhat mediocre, I wanted to reduce the fear of permanent death (at least at low levels) without making you into an unstoppable killing machine. If anything I see the DM as possibly granting everyone the first feat for free at the start of a campaign, for flavour reasons with a slight practical benefit.

AOKost
2017-04-17, 07:15 AM
Overall, I like it. Though I'd suggest removing the material and energy necessary to overcome the regeneration with an epic version of the feat. By that time, they are able to gain Fast Healing through feats, so I don't see any conflict.

rferries
2017-04-17, 09:56 AM
Overall, I like it. Though I'd suggest removing the material and energy necessary to overcome the regeneration with an epic version of the feat. By that time, they are able to gain Fast Healing through feats, so I don't see any conflict.

Thanks! And yeah, considering the feat investment by that point they'd have earned a properly powerful reward.