PDA

View Full Version : One Shot Fill ins

nickl_2000
2017-04-17, 08:42 AM
I've never DMed before, but would like to try it by having a some smaller one shots. I would like to have them on hand for weeks when our groups normal DMs were to busy to prepare and aren't in the mood. So, I was thinking about making a bunch of smaller one night campaigns.

For Houserules I want to
1) remove experience from the table and instead use the "you level when i say you have done enough to level" to eliminate the issue when someone is gone and let the group solve issues in whatever way works best for them. I figure they would get a level after every night until level 6 and then it's every few one shots they level up.
2) No UA or homebrew without permission
3) Give a feat at level 1 so that characters can progress
4) 4d6 drop one for stats.
5) there will be no purchasing of magic items outside of healing potions. Magic items will be attainable through adventures only (there needs to be some advantage to being there since you could level up while absent).
6) Odd/unusual equipment (spiked hide armor for example) will only be available from finding it in adventure, but I will ask the players what they are looking for so that it is possible to find. "Normal" equipment will be available at all times and can easily be bought outside of adventuring times.
7) Let them create 3 characters each that I approve of, they can choose with character to play. That way they can try out different classes and see what they enjoy. Per #5 though, they could lose out on magic items.

I realize that these characters may end up pretty powerful, but since I'm doing these myself and am doing them one at a time, I figure it will be easy to adjust encounters while still letting the players see their characters become more and more powerful.

My thoughts on a few one shots
1) Dungeon escape, they start with little, but can find the things they would need to survive, this brings the party together (thanks and apologies to Albions_Angel for stealing the base idea)
2) Heist, sneaking in and stealing an scrying orb the big bad is using to track and hunt them down. Turns out it's locked down and can't be stolen, but can be broken
3) The obligatory goblin/kobald hunt hurting a town and smash them to find some safe refuge from the warlord from #1.
4) Take down a corrupt town major through either out and out murder or inciting a rebellion in the area
5) Accompany an innocent princess from another land to marry a local Lord (they either persuade her to break the engagement or take her through).

Each little action and one shot could cause a large change in the nations government or do nothing.

I would love thought on this? Have you tried something without an overarching tie in? Does it work for characters, or do they find themselves confused since they don't have a true final goal? Also, do the house rules seem decent enough for a new DM, or am I biting off more than I can chew? Finally, any other one show ideas you have done that seem fun?

Captain Morgan
2017-04-17, 04:56 PM
I like your house rules. I will say this though, XP can be hilarious when unconventional solutions are applied. When we took on Kragmaw Keep in the starter adventure, we snuck in and assassinated their leader. Then we impersonated him with disguise self, and called a castle wide assembly. We went every hob goblin there on a "company retreat for team building purposes." Except we actually sent them to the orc stronghold on a different mountain so they would wipe each other out.

Our DM had to comb through the book and list off XP awards for every encounter in there. "You get 800 xp for sending 4 goblins on a company retreat. You get 600 xp for sending 3 goblins on a company retreat. You get 1200 xp for sending 6 goblins on a company retreat."

MBControl
2017-04-17, 06:48 PM
I suggest scaling back the high fantasy to a degree. It's often a welcome break for the players as well. You can run a simple themed one shot, and the players will usually understand the more casual nature of the game, allowing you a more easy going approach for you first runs.

I'm currently preparing an all bard "battle of the bands" type game. It's been done before, but it's different and fun, and it's a break from the typical high fantasy.

Holiday one shots are always fun. I ran a Krampus Christmas one shot, and one of my other players ran a Cupid based Greek/Roman mythology one shot for Valentines that was awesome.

nickl_2000
2017-04-17, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. How would you feel about characters that you normally wouldn't get to play? Maybe doing a monster event where you are defending your cave or sewers against random invading heroes?