PDA

View Full Version : Am I reading the rules right?

War Lonk
2017-04-17, 02:50 PM
I'm running a way of the four elements monk/ warlock and I was wondering if I use water whip from an elivated position (using levitation for instances), when the creature falls will I get an attack of opportunity when he leaves my reach?

DivisibleByZero
2017-04-17, 02:53 PM
I'm running a way of the four elements monk/ warlock and I was wondering if I use water whip from an elivated position (using levitation for instances), when the creature falls will I get an attack of opportunity when he leaves my reach?

He's not moving out of your reach.
You're moving him into your reach and then he's falling.
There's a difference.

Basically, all you have to do is ask yourself whether he's using his movement or not. If he is, then you get an OA unless he Disengaged. If he isn't using his movement, then he isn't moving, something else is happening.

hymer
2017-04-17, 03:01 PM
He's not moving out of your reach.
You're moving him into your reach and then he's falling.
There's a difference.

Basically, all you have to do is ask yourself whether he's using his movement or not. If he is, then you get an OA unless he Disengaged. If he isn't using his movement, then he isn't moving, something else is happening.

Indeed, gravity is mentioned as one of the specific things that doesn't cause OAs (PHB p. 195).

War Lonk
2017-04-17, 03:03 PM
Ha! Last line of opportunity attacks states what happens if gravity is in play.... missed it lol

War Lonk
2017-04-17, 03:09 PM
So if I'm levitating and a creature jumps at me to grapple me and misses I still would not get an OA, correct?

hymer
2017-04-17, 03:09 PM
*vanishes like a shadowmonk*

Edit: Correct. Unless they're jumping horizontally past you.

DivisibleByZero
2017-04-17, 03:13 PM
See, that's one where I'd totally give an OA.
They're using their own movement.

hymer
2017-04-17, 03:26 PM
See, that's one where I'd totally give an OA.
They're using their own movement.

Now I'm wondering how much movement it should cost to try to leap as high into the air as you can.

Lombra
2017-04-17, 03:38 PM
Now I'm wondering how much movement it should cost to try to leap as high into the air as you can.

Just use the rules for jumping and suddenly the world becomes three dimensional. I would rule it the same way as if the character was using a filght speed.

Armored Walrus
2017-04-17, 03:41 PM
I believe jumping uses up movement based on how much distance you cover with your jump. Which makes sense, your legs don't propel you forward any faster in a jump than they do when actively running, in fact, air resistance will slow you down while in the air, so you'll actually cover less ground by jumping than by straight up running. If you're jumping up, same holds, imo. Plus, you come down at the same speed you went up, so if you jump 10 feet in the air, you use 20 feet of movement, just because of the time spent covering that distance. AFB so can't cite this, but it's my understanding of how jumping works.

Lombra
2017-04-17, 03:54 PM
Running high jumps are fairly low anyways, they're 3+STR modifier, so jumps of over 5ft are common, plus, for the lolz, a barbarian with 24 STR under the effect of a jump spell could high jump as high as 30 ft, now that's some Marvel's Hulk stuff.

Now a question comes to mind: can someone perform simultaneously a high and long jump to propel himself in a parabolic fashion? I believe not, but it would be cool. The same barbarian jumping 30ft high and as far as 72ft horizontally. Heck, how does it even work if you expire your movement while jumping? Do you stop airborne and keep "flying" in your next turn?