PDA

View Full Version : Does the Triton get darkvision or not?

Weirdyfish
2017-04-17, 05:19 PM
I am going to play a triton rogue and was wondering if Triton's have darkvision.

Millstone85
2017-04-17, 05:33 PM
Are you asking if...
Guardians of the Depths. Adapted to even the most extreme ocean depths, you have resistance to cold damage, and you ignore any of the drawbacks caused by a deep, underwater environment. should include darkvision, at least while on the ocean floor?

Because now I am wondering that too.

BiPolar
2017-04-17, 05:49 PM
Are you asking if... should include darkvision, at least while on the ocean floor?

Because now I am wondering that too.
Depends on how deep you go,but I'd say unless it says you get it... You don't.

TundraBuccaneer
2017-04-17, 05:50 PM
It means that you get what ever your dm lets you get away with. If you are the dm, do you feel they need it on land?

Potato_Priest
2017-04-17, 06:22 PM
They should, but they don't. Unfortunately, the race that lives at the bottom of the ocean can see int he dark worse than the race that can cast light unlimitedly.

JumboWheat01
2017-04-17, 06:37 PM
They must use bioluminescent fish as living light sources to see in the dark.

Ninja-Radish
2017-04-17, 07:01 PM
They should have it, but they don't. Unless your DM rules Darkvision is part of being "adapted to the ocean depths". I personally would rule they have darkvision while underwater.

It's a pretty basic oversight to not give Tritons darkvision, honestly.

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-17, 07:08 PM
They should have it, but they don't. Unless your DM rules Darkvision is part of being "adapted to the ocean depths". I personally would rule they have darkvision while underwater.

It's a pretty basic oversight to not give Tritons darkvision, honestly.

Much agreed. Through if I was the DM I'd try to remove that ability and give them instead adaptability to both cold and sun...Which admittedly isn't covered by the rules.

The idea that they spend a lot of time in shallow waters, but have a lot of sun beating down on them.

Potato_Priest
2017-04-17, 07:09 PM
Much agreed. Through if I was the DM I'd try to remove that ability and give them instead adaptability to both cold and sun...Which admittedly isn't covered by the rules.

The idea that they spend a lot of time in shallow waters, but have a lot of sun beating down on them.

Their default lore is living way down deep in the ocean, though, right?

Honest Tiefling
2017-04-17, 07:11 PM
Their default lore is living way down deep in the ocean, though, right?

Where they can't see, hence the lore change. Yes, I am aware that it is not supported by the lore itself, but I am very amused by Tritons screaming 'MARCO' and 'POLO' at each other while bumbling around in the dark.

BiPolar
2017-04-17, 07:34 PM
The question is deep their deep. Light reaches pretty far down, it's Color they don't have. In fact, I'd think they'd see "darkvision" in regular light.

plisnithus7
2017-04-17, 08:39 PM
They don't.

plisnithus7
2017-04-17, 08:40 PM
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/02/25/how-come-triton-dont-have-darkvision/

Theodoxus
2017-04-18, 06:30 AM
they're not native to the far deep - in the elemental plane of water, they lived in bright areas #wotcstaff

Adapted to even the most extreme ocean depths...

Somebody hasn't read their own book...

Such a miniscule amount of light penetrates beyond a depth of 200 meters that photosynthesis is no longer possible. The aphotic, or “midnight,” zone exists in depths below 1,000 meters (3,280 feet). Sunlight does not penetrate to these depths and the zone is bathed in darkness.

Extreme ocean depths? 1000 meters is pitch black. The majority of earths oceans are deeper than 1000 meters - I'd suspect most fantasy worlds would comport similarly.

I'd probably grant two species of Triton - sunbathing happy ones that 'can' survive the deep, but can't see in it, and cold loving deep dwellers who have both darkvision and sunlight sensitivity who prefer staying out of the shiny light. Players would then get to pick which version they want to represent.

NNescio
2017-04-18, 07:33 AM
Somebody hasn't read their own book...

It's Mearls, what do you expect?

Naanomi
2017-04-18, 08:19 AM
That Elemental plane of water has areas of crushing depths that are well lit (and areas that are dark as the ocean floor but with no pressure); pointing out Earth-biomes for an inner Planes race isn't very meaningful. More abstractly, tritons are a race of 'good noble guys' not 'sneaky guys'; bringing light to the dark is more their style

Camman1984
2017-04-18, 01:51 PM
it only says that have adaptations that allow them to overcome the problems of the ocean floor, that doesn't necessarily mean they have great darkvision, maybe they have other senses which we don't understand that work great down there but are of limited value compared to human senses when they come on land. most creatures down there are essentially blind anyway.