PDA

View Full Version : V's a male

the300
2007-07-29, 03:40 PM
I don't know how we missed this

read the last panel http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0306.html

Ettlesby
2007-07-29, 03:42 PM
That's just what they think he is, not what he really is.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-07-29, 03:44 PM
I don't know how we missed this

read the next to last panel http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0135.html

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-07-29, 03:46 PM
Everyone sees Vaarsuvious as they want to see hir. Haley probably sees V as female, since V and Haley share a room, while Roy usually sees V as a male.

I think V is a female, but I can't link to a single page that "proves" it, that isn't later contradicted.

Ettlesby
2007-07-29, 03:48 PM
You know what I think? I think that someone's going to ask the question, "Hey, Vaarsuvius, what gender are you?" And then he's going to reply, "You could not tell? I'm a-" And the next panel cuts away to something completely different, and in the panel after that you see the person who asked the question with a shocked look on their face.

Cen
2007-07-29, 03:57 PM
You know what I think? I think that someone's going to ask the question, "Hey, Vaarsuvius, what gender are you?" And then he's going to reply, "You could not tell? I'm a-" And the next panel cuts away to something completely different, and in the panel after that you see the person who asked the question with a shocked look on their face.

Yeah, that would be sooo giant-like ;-)

Ariko
2007-07-29, 04:03 PM
Well, Roy did try to ask in Origins, indirectly, but V simply brushed it aside as unimportant

bluish_wolf
2007-07-29, 04:15 PM
Also, V was too busy sobbing to correct him if he was wrong. Not that he particularly cares if someone gets his gender wrong.

Gez
2007-07-29, 04:20 PM
V's a male? No, he's not! :smallwink:

TheBoneSplitter
2007-07-29, 04:23 PM
I'd rather just hold on to the belief that V is indeed a male without having to become a wee bit sexist. :smallwink:

Siwenna
2007-07-29, 06:35 PM
I think V is a female, but I can't link to a single page that "proves" it, that isn't later contradicted.

I feel the same way. I originally thought that V was female, and since there is no reason not to think so, I'll just go on believing it. It would make sense, since Haley rooms with her, but that is definately not real evidence. It would also make the party more balanced gender-wise, but I've played the only female character in the party plenty of times.

PaladinFreak
2007-07-29, 08:42 PM
I've always thought that V is female, but there is no proof one way or the other.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-07-29, 11:04 PM
*whimpers and rolls back and forth, shedding violently*

krai
2007-07-29, 11:13 PM
It would be rude to call V it, so people call her whatever gender the precive him to be.

Spiryt
2007-07-30, 04:42 AM
Q: Is Vaarsuvius male or female?

A: I will never reveal the truth! Bwahaha! Keep in mind that while certain other characters might refer to V as being male or female, that simply reveals their perception.not the actual reality of the situation. (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq10)

It seems that Giant himself had to state obvious thing...

Evil DM Mark3
2007-07-30, 07:28 AM
The arguments are summed up thusly.

IF poster feels V=male then links + comment of femine qualites of elves to explain away shopping referances etc.

IF poster feels V=female then links + comment that implies mass sexism in OotS characters etc.

Personaly I lena towards male, but the cynic in me knows the truth. Read it bellow.

Gender = The Giant creating deliberate conflict between fans in order to increase populairy and alow for discussion during thin patches on forums as well as jokes IC. Like any good writer he does not confine himslef and can spot a good line when he sees one.

Drider
2007-07-30, 01:32 PM
1. V's an elf
2. there are MILLIONS(maybe more) of v's gender threads
thumbs down for you
3. :mitd: has way better speculation threads.

Pepz
2007-07-30, 01:38 PM
don't know who originally said it, but I firmly believe that V's gender is Elf ;)

if I'd have to choose I'd say female too, to gender-balance the party a bit, like Siwenna said.

would make "the event" a bit more....normal....tho :)

Belkar's Left Foot
2007-07-30, 01:45 PM
This argument has been made hundreds of times on here, and I always love that no one comments on my point of reference to thinking V is male.
What Belkar says in panel 6, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0028.html) and the fact that Rich knew what gender V was from the very start.

Lira
2007-07-30, 03:10 PM
This argument has been made hundreds of times on here, and I always love that no one comments on my point of reference to thinking V is male.
Odd... I can't even count how many times that particular argument has been proved wrong and I haven't even been here that long. :/

What Belkar says in panel 6, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0028.html)
That proves nothing. It could mean that Belkar has always suspected V was a female, since a female might be curious to see Elan's "Weapon of Choice", or it could mean that Belkar always suspected V was gay. And still, all that proves is what Belkar thinks, and we know that he's not sure about V's gender.

and the fact that Rich knew what gender V was from the very start.Take a look at the Giant's threads. On the one where OOTS starts, people started asking questions about V's gender around comic # 9 IIRC, so the # 28 does not count as proof because by that time Rich was making V's gender androgynous.

I do believe that the Giant intended V to be male, but now that he's made V androgynous, it's quite possible that V could turn out to be a female.

Hushdawg
2007-07-30, 05:24 PM
V's a hermaphrodite

get over it.

:P

MR.PIXIE
2007-07-30, 05:42 PM
V's gender is actualy...NOTHING!!!http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/4343/varrsuviusjr5.png (http://imageshack.us)

TheoCryst
2007-07-30, 05:59 PM
I always assumed V was a male, and male he will remain to me.

We need a poll, just of opinions about his/her gender. I wonder which is more popular, male or female?

DreadSpoon
2007-07-30, 10:12 PM
What Belkar says in panel 6, and the fact that Rich knew what gender V was from the very start.

Read Origins. You are wrong. End of story.

Scarab83
2007-07-30, 10:31 PM
Read Origins. You are wrong. End of story.

V is male. You are wrong. End of sequel to original story.

I do think he started out male, but at this point, it doesn't even really matter. He became androgenous because Rich thought it would be funny, so he'll probably stay androgenous.

the_tick_rules
2007-07-31, 12:44 AM
various people have used various gender pronouns, no biggie.

Selv
2007-07-31, 03:46 AM
The continued existence of V's sex threads are a powerful argument in favour of Hobbes' views of mankind as basically savage and animalistic.

Tower
2007-07-31, 05:43 AM
I tend towards :vaarsuvius: being male due to my tentative grasp of roman style names from popular culture, such as Bigus Dickus and his wife Incontientia :smallsmile: (Think that's it), and general speech patterns and topics.
Plus I'm not sure if Haley has referred to V as female, and may stay with V because the others act in a male fashion, which may off-put them both.
Also androgynous males tends towards female appearance, where as females look male,
So my logic is that because V is male, because the gender is under debate and he looks more like a female :smallbiggrin: :

Alfryd
2007-07-31, 05:47 AM
The continued existence of V's sex threads are a powerful argument in favour of Hobbes' views of mankind as basically savage and animalistic.
And Gods bless us, every one!

Regneva
2007-07-31, 08:22 AM
God... when is it going to end?! :smallfurious:

Draz74
2007-07-31, 01:26 PM
I like the strips where V is referred to as both "he" and "she" by other characters.

Strip 252:
:nale: We need a wizard or a sorcerer or something to square off against the elf chick that follows my idiot brother Elan.
:sabine: The elf dude is old and highly skilled at magic ... and an apprentice would be young and barely competent! So they're opposites!

onasuma
2007-07-31, 01:37 PM
What does that prove? Hes refered to as a she/he/dude/etc. throughout the comic. We dont really know her gender, nor do we need to. far to many threads on this topic.

Siwenna
2007-07-31, 04:56 PM
God... when is it going to end?!

If threads about V's sex bother you, then just don't read them. It's really not that difficult. Yes, we've gone through it a whole lot. Yes, it always boils down to the same thing. But it's fun/entertaining/at least something to do for those who participate, and doesn't hurt those who do not.

DiscipleofBob
2007-07-31, 05:02 PM
V isn't a male or a female. V's an elf.

Duh.

Balkash
2007-07-31, 05:06 PM
I bet V is actually both. V is both a guy and a girl. Or V is neither. V could just be genderless. I dunno

GymGeekAus
2007-07-31, 08:00 PM
I like the strips where V is referred to as both "he" and "she" by other characters.

Strip 252:
:nale: We need a wizard or a sorcerer or something to square off against the elf chick that follows my idiot brother Elan.
:sabine: The elf dude is old and highly skilled at magic ... and an apprentice would be young and barely competent! So they're opposites! Ahh, but in #385, Sabine holds this conversation with Vaarsuvius... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0385.html

:sabine: You got it, sister. (To :vaarsuvius: )

Apparently, Sabine can't figure it out either. And she's an evil incarnation of illicit sex.

We're doomed in this debate, I tell you. DOOMED!

Ithekro
2007-07-31, 09:44 PM
And the answer would drive you MAD! MAD!

holywhippet
2007-07-31, 11:15 PM

Never. Just never.

Rich could state clearly what gender V is.

V could state what his/her gender is.

V could lift up his/her robes and show people what is "under the hood".

All of these could happen and people would still be speculating.

mockingbyrd7
2007-07-31, 11:19 PM
Edit: Nevermind.

Regneva
2007-08-01, 01:14 AM
If threads about V's sex bother you, then just don't read them. It's really not that difficult. Yes, we've gone through it a whole lot. Yes, it always boils down to the same thing. But it's fun/entertaining/at least something to do for those who participate, and doesn't hurt those who do not.

Its not the threads about V's gender in general that bother me, its the threads that blatantly "assume" to have found it out, supporting the idea with some dumb proof, pointing towards a panel she/he is refered to as "he" or "she", totally ignoring the whole forumload of V threads and an entire storyline of non-evidence.

And not to mention hundreds of threads that stubbornly state "She stays with Haley in inns, so she's a she"... god! Then I guess Elan is a she as well! :smallfurious:

mockingbyrd7
2007-08-01, 01:49 AM
Its not the threads about V's gender in general that bother me, its the threads that blatantly "assume" to have found it out, supporting the idea with some dumb proof, pointing towards a panel she/he is refered to as "he" or "she", totally ignoring the whole forumload of V threads and an entire storyline of non-evidence.

And not to mention hundreds of threads that stubbornly state "She stays with Haley in inns, so she's a she"... god! Then I guess Elan is a she as well! :smallfurious:

I agree! Let's get mad at something!

Hey! You stupid chair! I'M sitting on YOU all day, but what are YOU doing for ME?! HUH?!

*smashes the chair*

YEAH! THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT!

Timberboar
2007-08-01, 08:40 PM
I agree! Let's get mad at something!

Hey! You stupid chair! I'M sitting on YOU all day, but what are YOU doing for ME?! HUH?!

*smashes the chair*

YEAH! THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT!

Did... did your pants just turn purple?!?

Jimmy Discordia
2007-08-01, 08:50 PM
I'd say that V is male in some sense, female in some sense, neuter in some sense, male and female in some sense, male and neuter in some sense, female and neuter in some sense, and male and female and neuter in some sense.

Case closed.

EDIT: Oh, and the above post wins the thread.

EntilZha
2007-08-01, 09:22 PM
V is male.

He doesn't have the body shape of Haley, Miko, or other female characters. One of the cardinal rules of fantasy RPG's is that female characters always wear form-fitting clothes, and V's robes are not form-fitting at all.

Wender
2007-08-01, 09:28 PM
V could lift up his/her robes and show people what is "under the hood".

Belkar: What's that? "I tattooed explosive runes on my belly this m-"

Spiky
2007-08-01, 09:36 PM
I'd say that V is male in some sense, female in some sense, neuter in some sense, male and female in some sense, male and neuter in some sense, female and neuter in some sense, and male and female and neuter in some sense.

Case closed.

Nope. None of that is correct. When will you people accept the truth?

V's gender is.....
a running gag.

Moechi_Vill
2007-08-01, 09:39 PM
V's gender was male then became a running gag.

EntilZha
2007-08-01, 09:52 PM

Exactly. According to "Dungeon Crawlin' Fools" Rich didn't plan any gender ambiguity for V at all. But someone who was apparently drunk when surfing the site came to the conclusion that V was obviously female, despite the fact that his body shape is as male as Elan's, Roy's, Durkon's, etc., etc.

Spiky
2007-08-01, 09:55 PM

Meh. Quit living in the past. I used present tense, referring to the present.

Fawkes
2007-08-04, 01:49 AM
Did... did your pants just turn purple?!?

I know mine did.

de-trick
2007-08-04, 01:55 AM
Im waiting till he/she has to go to the bathroom and the sign will tell us the answer of are life time

Ariko
2007-08-04, 04:27 AM

End? People will debate this long after OoTS itself ends, even if Rich does state V's gender outright, among some people at least. :smallamused:

Luklan
2007-08-04, 04:56 AM
Im waiting till he/she has to go to the bathroom and the sign will tell us the answer of are life time

Actually, if you look here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0087.html)...

Chineselegolas
2007-08-04, 05:19 AM
My favourite response to this question is V's gender is True Neutral, and alignment is male.

de-trick
2007-08-04, 12:18 PM
in a few weeks we will see (return of the toilet)

sparkey477
2007-08-04, 03:29 PM
I know the truth!!! Vaarsuvius is, *ding-dong* Oh! My pizza is here... wait a minute, I didn't order explosive runes thi- *Blam!*

Oberon
2007-08-04, 03:38 PM
Or V will be confused because s/he can't tell the genders of the of bathroom symbols apart. (:vaarsuvius: "I hardly see what difference it makes")

Em Blackleaf
2007-08-04, 09:11 PM
I know the truth!!! Vaarsuvius is, *ding-dong* Oh! My pizza is here... wait a minute, I didn't order explosive runes thi- *Blam!*

You are a master of suspense!

V's gender is Vaarsuvius.

That is all.

RocketBard
2007-08-04, 11:33 PM

V probably uses a bathroom out of a magical shelter he/she can create.

Arameus
2007-08-05, 12:20 AM
In the earliest strips of the comic, V certainly does appear much more masculine than how we know hir today, at least in my opinion. This, coupled with Roy referring to hir as male ('V-Man' comes to mind) initially had me thinking that V was a male and that was that. However, as the models changed, even if ever-so-slightly, V is now very androgynous in this picture and as the story unfolded and more and more characters put in their two cents about V's sex I began to realize more and more that the occasional jabs from Belkar about V's ambiguous gender were more than generic insults about Elfin features and that V was actually meant to be androgynous as a running gag.

However, my initial perception of V as certainly male has had the effect of making the voice I assign V as I internally narrate the comics even today unmistakably masculine, even though one of the biggest cliches about elves is that the features and voices of the males are very feminine. Can you say 'Legolas?' Or perhaps 'Ghaleon?'

timbot
2007-08-05, 12:49 AM
The first time I read the first 300+ comics, my inclination was that he/she was female, and didn't even notice that there was a debate. I went back, read again after I was addicted, saw the conflict, and have been standing by my post that she is a female! But, in the long run, I believe it doesn't matter and her gender is whatever either you or Rich thinks it is. Of course, although Rich said he would never reveal V's sex, since he/she is married, someone could ask what his/her mate's gender is. But I doubt it. What I have found is that Rich seems to read the forums, and take a twist no one has thought of yet, and if someone has thought of it and it was in his plan, he changes the plan. Either that, or he is just such a master storyteller, he just goes with his original plan and never changes it.

I still think the MiTD is a remnant of the Snarl, cut off when they sealed the gate that killed the original Dwarf.

Naleh
2007-08-05, 01:22 AM
(S)He's female. (S)He's got long hair! ((Yes, I know guys with long hair, but I can't see Vaarsuvius doing that.))

Alright, that doesn't go any way to proving anything whatsoever. It's just my initial and ongoing impression of hir/hem.

As for the different body shape - (s)he wears robes, what do you expect?

Scarab83
2007-08-05, 03:30 AM
(S)He's female. (S)He's got long hair! ((Yes, I know guys with long hair, but I can't see Vaarsuvius doing that.))

Alright, that doesn't go any way to proving anything whatsoever. It's just my initial and ongoing impression of hir/hem.

As for the different body shape - (s)he wears robes, what do you expect?

Lira sums it up nicely here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2911438&postcount=41).

Regneva
2007-08-05, 05:59 AM

Why? What keeps somebody from letting his/her hair long? Why won't V do it? I have long hair and I am male, so I can assume that V is male because "thats my perception on the situation" ?

Arameus
2007-08-05, 06:55 AM
You argue that a male Vaarsuvius would not grow his hair out long. Why? Would that seem to whimsical? Would it make him look girly? Would it make him seem haughty?

Have you forgotten that V is Elfin and that all these attributes and more go hand in hand with being a male (or female) elf? Honestly, I'm glad elves didn't exist because we'd have to feel bad about killing them all off, even though we really would have enjoyed it and would be better off for it.

Number 6
2007-08-05, 06:21 PM
I don't think Rich has made up his mind. Like the VFD in Lemony Snickett's books, it's just something thrown in to keep us guessing. Just the same...

Well, women everywhere will be gunning for me for this, But...

V's reaction to Miko was totally female. She got very angry at Roy's interest in Miko, even though she had no interest in Roy. She reacted to a new competitor by being uncooperative and immediately started a contest to see who was higher in the pecking order. No one liked Miko (except Roy) but she took if the furthest. "Explosive runes" furthest. Furthermore, she did not confront Miko directly, but resorted to "catty" behaviour i.e. charging for her spells.

Also note that the boys did not react as badly as Hailey or V at first because of Miko's charisma. In other words, V acted like Hailey.

To review: When Miko showed up, V suddenly started acting possessive, competitive, "catty," and subversive. She didn't "whip it out" like a man would, but instead tried to undermine Miko by annoying and embarrassing her. I've seen men act this way, but it's usually women...

Spiky
2007-08-05, 06:26 PM
Or V will be confused because s/he can't tell the genders of the of bathroom symbols apart. (:vaarsuvius: "I hardly see what difference it makes")

And I thought Canada's schools were ok.

You do realize that "confused" and "hardly see" do not mean the same thing?

Spiky
2007-08-05, 06:54 PM
I don't think Rich has made up his mind. Like the VFD in Lemony Snickett's books, it's just something thrown in to keep us guessing. Just the same...

Well, women everywhere will be gunning for me for this, But...

V's reaction to Miko was totally female. She got very angry at Roy's interest in Miko, even though she had no interest in Roy. She reacted to a new competitor by being uncooperative and immediately started a contest to see who was higher in the pecking order. No one liked Miko (except Roy) but she took if the furthest. "Explosive runes" furthest. Furthermore, she did not confront Miko directly, but resorted to "catty" behaviour i.e. charging for her spells.

Also note that the boys did not react as badly as Hailey or V at first because of Miko's charisma. In other words, V acted like Hailey.

To review: When Miko showed up, V suddenly started acting possessive, competitive, "catty," and subversive. She didn't "whip it out" like a man would, but instead tried to undermine Miko by annoying and embarrassing her. I've seen men act this way, but it's usually women...

V did not act possessive. What comic are you reading? She threw a sticky mess on V that hampered his/her casting ability. Knowing V's character, that's enough for a blood feud right there. Never mind the false arrest, refusing to learn the name Vaarsuvius, ordering V around as if she were his/her boss, etc.

Regarding the catty behavior/runes issue....does that make Belkar a chick, too?

Why is this so friggin' hard???

Fawkes
2007-08-05, 08:11 PM
V's reaction to Miko was totally female. She got very angry at Roy's interest in Miko, even though she had no interest in Roy.

Blatant sexism aside, V is faithful enough to vis significant other that ve would not be interested in Miko. V only has eyes for vis mate. She was angry because Roy was abusing vis talents to score.